1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Scrapping a Car

Discussion in 'General' started by steveo_mcg, 16 Apr 2012.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

My old pug (2001 406) is reaching the end of its life, ABS is shot so it'll fail its MOT but the list of faults are legion.

Any one have any experience disposing of end of life cars? Scrappy or eBay etc?

PS don't tell the car I've posted this thread, its already computer senile I'd hate to think what it'll start to do if it thinks it for the crusher...

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Personally I'd stick it on eBay - someone is bound to come and take it away, especially if it's got current T&T.

If you take it to the scrappy you'll most likely have to pay them to take it, iirc the official scrapping regs these days are quite extensive.

3. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I thought most places pay for your scrap car. Some will even tow it away for you!

At the very least they'll want the catalytic converter.

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Check your local paper. Most have at least one company offering to tow your car for free and pay for it too.

5. steveo_mcg

Had a google for scrappies, Cartakeback seems to be some kind of aggregator but offers £165 if i drive it to a fairly local yard.

Might stick it on ebay with a starting price of £165 and see if any one wants to come at take it off me.

Yikes, another similar type (rewardingrecycling) offered 238 collected, ebay is looking like £300 before fees plus any associated hassle. Looks like she's for the scrappy.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2012
  6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What are you replacing it with? I got a bit of cash for mine from the dealer I bought my new car from. Not much, but it needed a hell of a lot of work done and it knocked a couple of hundred off the price of the new one!

7. Krikkit

That sounds like a bloody good deal. :D

Quite a few of these cars out there for minimal cash at the moment, even with functioning ABS etc!

8. steveo_mcg

I got £300 (15%) off the 406 for not landing them with the very beaten up polo I turned up in ;)

@Krikkit that's a good point, could get one of those £300 ebay jobs.

9. Shirty

Ha! The Citroen C2 I "traded" needed a new gearbox & clutch, had a slightly warped chassis, 150k miles and was very tatty, but it was only 7 years old so he took a punt on it. I wonder to this day how long it took him to get home on the day he dropped off then new car and drove away. :hehe:

But he still gave me real money off the new one for it!

10. steveo_mcg

Funny thing was I then sold that polo for £200, i only paid £150!

11. Krikkit

Box and clutch doesn't surprise me, but warped chassis? What the hell did you do to it to bend a monocoque?! :D

12. Shirty

Hit a deer hard :waah:

Even with a full on insurance repair it was never quite the same again after that, despite my best efforts to have everything realigned and replaced on numerous occasions. Tyre wear was uneven, handling just didn't feel right. Never had the chassis confirmed as the culprit but over the years I owned that car I had pretty much every component of the suspension and steering replaced and the problems never went away.

Still loved it though, was a GT (#815) :rock:

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

[​IMG]

Shirty likes this.
  14. Shirty

:lol: +rep

Give me a few decades though, the beard's not quite that grey or plentiful yet.

EDIT: I'm also not a giant, spherical person. Nothing against them, but I'm not one... yet :worried:

Last edited: 16 Apr 2012
  15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I just snorted tea out my nose at that picture.

Also reminds me of the time I saw a 40+ stone guy driving a Smart Car. He filled it.

16. Krikkit

Ouch. Must've been a big shunt to bring the chassis out, presumably you changed the wishbones? It could probably have been jigged back, but it's hella expensive.

17. Shirty

Yeah it was quite a mess and very upsetting, luckily I was travelling alone when it happened. I was 22 and it was my first (and last) proper, new car so I was gutted.

Yep did the wishbones. I agree with the proper kit and some competent mechanics it probably could have been sorted, but as I'd bought it new I made the mistake of thinking that the Citroen dealership would know what they were doing.

They didn't. Ever. On the plus side I taught myself a lot about how Citroen C2 GTs are bolted together!

I used to quite often end up following a massive gent driving a Cinquecento on my way to work, and I kid you not when travelling around left handers at 60 - no mean feat in that car - you could see the suspension bottoming out on the offside. :hehe::jawdrop::hehe:

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I hit a large hunting dog at 60+ miles an hour, it did a horrific amount of damage to my front near side (killed the dog obviously).

I also had to have a chassis straighter on my cavalier SRi after someone plowed into the back of me at 40 odd, vauxhall straightened it on a jig but it was never the same.

19. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i got £100 for a MK1 98 puntoS about 8 months ago
    Gasket was ****ed completely.

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Fox hound?