1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft reveals Windows 8 editions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So Windows RT won't have an encrypted filesystem / BitLocker? And they want Windows 8 ARM tablets to convince the pros they don't want iPads?

Professionals are already adopting iPads, from airlines to doctors. You think a corporate IT department is going to allow tablets that can't be encrypted? Okay maybe when x86 tablets come out with good batter life etc it'll all be okay with Windows 8 Pro installed on them. But why cripple RT?

Am I missing something?

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes What's a Dremel?

I read Media Center will be paid-for add-on to Win 8 Pro. I don't understand why it has to depend on the Pro version - this will see a lot of existing MC users looking at the numerous (cost-free) alternatives.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Windows RT doesn't have a tick in the encrypted filesystem box because it's the only Windows 8 release to feature whole-device encryption instead - which is a separate box.

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Glad to see the ammount of different versions cut down, one business and one home at the most basic level :)

6. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

I can't believe there will be only a few editions. Good choice IMO.

Bit-Tech, you don't have info on pricing do you?

7. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Question.

Is there any reason to upgrade to win 8 from win7 x64?

The only massive change seems to be the metro UI which is designed for touchscreen devices, not a keyboard/mouse. I've tried it myself and don't like it at all.

Is that the only major change for the general gamer/tech enthusiast? Or am I missing something big?

8. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Hmm, no mention of Windows Media Center - wonder if that's getting dropped now.

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

From the Windows 8 blog:
    But for me it's all a moot point as long as Metro isn't made optional on the desktop.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

You answered something I was unsure about, someone who doesn't like metro with it being primarily for touch screens & tried it & still doesn't like it, cheers popcornuk1983, saved me the bother of trying it. :D

Long live keyboards & mice. :rock:

Good question you put up though & I'd also like to know the answer to that.

Personally I really think it's a bad decision to try force touch screen stye on desktop PC's & they should do 2 versions, desktop or metro.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

It'll have a desktop "app" but since that will basically be W7 i see no reason to upgrade

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

There's the funky auto-RAID feature called Storage Spaces that I'm quite keen on. Currently all my files/programs are scattered across three harddrives. I rather like the idea of automatically merging them all into a big group. Extra speed, extra reliability, and less clutter for me. Win win!

That said, it's not a day-one purchase feature, and there is a lot else that's wrong with Win8 that counteracts the good bits.

13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'm glad they've reduced the number of consumer editions, but I still can't see myself upgrading any time soon to an OS which is by design unsuitable and impractical for a desktop environment. Aero and metro on one OS? No thanks.

Come back when you've given us proper multi-monitor support, not this gimmicky metro crap that you're only doing to try to compete with Apple.

I'm predicting a fail for Win8 on desktops, and Win9 will be the proper successor to Win7, with the removal of the metro UI for desktop versions.

14. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Is there any info whether the x86 editions will be in both 32 and 64 bit variants, or has 32 bit been dropped?

15. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Is Metro really as bad as the general consensus make it out to be? (I'm unable to test it due to the lack of a spare machine at home)

On topic, it's good to see that MS have gone back to a simpler set of editions - should make it a bit more consumer friendly for the average joe that doesn't know a lot about computers.

@Chicken76 - According to the link below, it will be availble for 32bit systems - odd though, I thought MS were going to drop support for it.

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...s-revealed-streamlined-choice-offered-1076296

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'll wait for Windows 9 I think.

17. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Metro is awful on the desktop, it's designed for touch enabled devices - end of!

Not too pleased about WMC being a paid for add-on, looks like Win7 or XBMC for the new HTPC

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Agree wholeheartedly. Not enough reasons to upgrade and I'm personally hoping the metro interface will crash and burn.

19. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

here was me thinking windows 8 was about cross platform unity, ms sucks baws, bigtime, I guess I will be sticking with win 7 ultimate x64, and buying an ipad......

20. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

Nonsense, it works happily with mouse / keyboard. I've had a VM running since the dev preview, even developed a couple of internal applications.

Most of the complaints are due to the 'newness' of the interface - people just don't like change. I'm old enough to remember the Win 3.11 -> 95 kerfuffle, the hatred at the time of the start menu! Then came the idea of 'desktop' rather than going to your c: for everything. Every change is met with resistance, and for a company like MS they really suffer - they're either 'not innovative' or alienate some long term users.

Once you get your head round it you'll end up liking it, then you'll be just in time to complain about how much windows 9 sucks because it's different!

Tags: Edit