1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What happened to the skill based shooter?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by hamza_tm, 17 Apr 2012.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I've played tons of MW3 and COD in general and consequentially I'm pretty good at them. But I yearn for a real skill based shooter where individual skill stands out and you have to actually work hard to own a team and the result is far more rewarding. A game where a guy can display immense fps skill and be rewarded for it.

MW3 is not that game.

What new skill-based shooters are there?

Or do I have to revert to classics like cs 1.6, QuakeLive?

Update: Lookie here
    http://alphakick.com/gaming/5-massive-games-that-killed-skill-based-first-person-shooters/
    That news ain't good.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2012
  2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yes.

Skill based shooters are long gone. The reasoning is that there is no appeal for high skill ceiling games. Hence why for example bf 3 has suppression.

3. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

[​IMG]

You could try Tribes Ascend, very fast paced Free FPS, TF2, try get a Beta key for CS:GO :D

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

theres also crysis.

5. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Quake 3 -- I've never played anything that requires so much twitch. Nothing as rewarding is pwning on WrackDM17 with rails.

*Edit*

Give Warsow a shot. Fast jump based FPS -- it's love it or hate it, though. Some of my old clan mates couldn't get the hang of getting up speed (It encourages bunny hopping for movement)

Last edited: 17 Apr 2012
  6. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I am relatively new to FPS on PC. BS2 on Xbox previously. And MW2. I blame Call of Duty franchise. They made FPS easyto get into and lack skill required to shoot anyone. Battlefield 3 has become a twitch fest with Suppression causing it to be first shots fired equals win.

Though having adapted with the new Suppression it isn't as bad as it was after patch.

8. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Dang it! I feared as much :(

Hmm looks quite interesting, I'll give it a go. TF2 seemed a bit like a strategic spraying game, not quite what I'm after. As for CS:GO, from the vids I saw on YouTube it doesn't seem to have captured the CS1.6 hardcoreness, but yeah I'm trying to find a key as well :)

That guy is absolutely awesomesockz :)

Quake 3 is good, I started playing Quake Live but for some reason in that game I can't aim for shiz. I don't know what it is, maybe they force acceleration or something? I used to play with acceleration back in the day (a lot of quake 3) and that was fine. During my COD days I switched to disabling all acceleration, and now going back to Quake Live my aiming is 100% messed up. Its never been so hard to hit rail shots. I'm not sure if I've just gone to the dogs in terms of aiming due to all my COD playing or if the game itself is BSing all over my face, but I'm just not feeling the Quake vibe atm.

As for Warsow sounds interesting, definitely looking to give that a go.

Yup

Yeah thats the problem I'm thinking

And wow look what I just found:
    http://alphakick.com/gaming/5-massive-games-that-killed-skill-based-first-person-shooters/

That article is amazing...

9. Elton

With that said though, who could actually not have seen this? I mean it was pretty inevitable given the circumstances. After all, the game market had largely expanded after the creation of CS and Quake. While it still is fun, the time to make games accessible was the key word of the day.

Hence in a way, I guess it's also fair to say that we ourselves caused the death of skill based shooters. If only because we demanded that it be easier, and that it would be more accessible.

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Dammit now I feel bad.

HOW COULD I DEMAND SUCH A THING?

11. Elton

Mind you I'm painting broad strokes here. Clearly not all of us really lobbied for it. But every buisness person with an ounce of sense realized at one point that it was necessary to dumb down games.

Same thing happened to Hip-hop in the 90s. It became dumbed down, made a ton of sales and generally lost it's meaning.

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

That guy is absolutely awesomesockz :)

I am sure that guy is Gunsmith, see his sig :rock:

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

It's not just FPS that have been affected by the consumer market. All games have become easier and less about the core fans. I played a lot of RPG's over the years Final Fantasy and the like and as they progressed to multiplatform markets. To a degree the core fans have been let down. The last open world. Though the return to open world with instance based fight scenes was Final Fantasy IX.

The rest in the series removed that true random battle sequence for set paterned attacks. The same can be said in many games now. Whilst I have enjoyed Skyrim I haven't really delved too deep into the game.

I digress as this is focused on FPS. For the Mulitplayer aspect things are dumbed down and frankly I felt let down by Battlefield 3 single player. It followed BLOPS in storyline to a degree. And the enemys followed a set pattern. I remeber a scene before the capture and death of the one character. Shooting at attackers up high in the building clearing them and then have them come back seconds later. Having to go round the side of the building and into it to stop this happening. There was no clearing of enemies like in previous games.

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

This is ruining my day now :(

It sounds like there's no hope in the future for PC Gamers that loved the hardcore simplicity and ingenuity of games of the past.

I always suspected that games were just getting worse and worse in terms of actual gameplay but never actually realised the truth until now

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

:thumb:

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Has it all been a bit too much to accept?

May need a vacation and time to reflect on it all.

:)

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah. Thanks for the idea :sigh:

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Maybe a paintball vacation.

:)

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Lmao

In_deed

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I would have said BF3 is a skilled base shooter, before this latest patch that is. Now it's generally whoever shoots first wins, which is of course not skill based