1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 460 Appreciation Society - Plus VGA Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 13 Nov 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I believe that voltage is the maximum possible on stock anyway. Mine run at 1112mV for regular gaming with 890MHz on the cores. It can go higher with more volts but the temperature gets silly for little gain.

Probably a good idea to have a look at your BIOS in Fermi BIOS Editor to check the settings for your card.

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Ok... BIOS editor says 1087mV ... I'll have a read of these PDF accompaniments later then. If I could bump it up to what MSI promised initially, that'd do me... so I can add the extra 200mv rather than the 100. But I'll have to read it all first... not just jumping in and making edits yet.

SLOWLY LAWRENCE... SLOWLY... ONESTEP AT A TIME

saw some interesting posts on vrm cooling for my card. Might investigate further... but Ideally it's going to go underwater at some point.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not sure a waterblock exists that would also cool the VRM on your card.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... The core will be water cooled, but ram and vrms will be air cooled. I'd look to have heatsinks on the and a fan blowing air from underneath and another across the back of the car as apparently that gets real hot too...

But it looks like a May have to wait another month to begin as my car tax needs renewal... Unless I sell my laptop quick enough.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

My Hawk is now under water... and the temps have plummeted under stress to a massive 44c after 20mins of furmark. This is at the 900mhz overclock that it was at before.

The weekend may see me looking into the bios editing.

Must say, this watercooling stuff is cool!!!!

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Very nice! That said, water cooling is not the holy grail to overclocking but you certainly can push things like the VRM a little further! :thumb:

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Oh ya... but a little more headroom is always appreciated.

I have a fan blowing over the vrms for the moment, as I can't just strap a heatsink on them due to bits on the pcb sticking out above them. I don't want to short anything out.

I was hoping to pick up some enzotech mos-c1s and sticking them on, but they seem to be end of life. :waah:

When the hawk was first launched, you could but an extra 200mv through it, so I might just stick to that for the moment. I have a heatsink I can cut up that can stick on the vrms, so I will get on that in time.

Will post in here anything I do with it... in all honesty, I don't mind frying this card. Although, I'll take it slowly :D

Just to add: 44c after 20minutes of furmark used to be 70c+ with aircooling. So I'm pretty happy with the result so far. And those temps were recorded when it was cold and raining. Now it's hot and humid!

Last edited: 29 May 2012
  8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

So... I was really late to this game... but here is what I got.

I managed a shakey 950mhz at 1.175v in Heaven. Wasn't really stable but if I hadn't paid attention I would have thought it was.

I only ran it at my res of 1920x 1080 at 950mhz. But like I say, not really fully there. Occasional black triangle would flash out of nowhere... but had to pay attention.

[​IMG]

Next up the 940mhz at 1920x1080 with 1.162v.

[​IMG]

For parity with the crapman, as they were some of the last benchmarks, at 1280x1024 with 940mhz.

[​IMG]

And some 3dmark 11 scores:

960mhz (saw one artefact. Heaven definitely is more picky)

[​IMG]

and the 940mhz

[​IMG]

I definitely find Heaven is the one that shows up the artefacts or instabilities with the overclock. The 960mhz used 1.175v, 950mhz also 1.175, 940mhz required 1.162v, 930mhz 1.137v(this will be my everyday gaming clock) and 920mhz was using 1.125v.

I couldn't be bothered to do any more benchs after that. I think 930mhz is fairly respectable without going mental on the voltages. I have 17x Enzotech mos-c1 cooling the vrms to make up for the lack of water block for them. I have a fan blowing across them, but I'll look to get one right under the gfx card soon above my PSU. Then I'll be happy till I can afford a GTX 660 or an old 580gtx. :thumb:

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice work! :thumb:

The GTX 460 GPU is one hell of a pixel pusher, just a shame it's VRAM limited at higher resolutions.

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Oh yeah... And I only play Skyrim, mass effect 2 and FIFA really... So the overclock probably isn't even needed let alone vram in the games I play. But it's better to be safe than sorry eh? I like my vsync. Would be nice to
    se those high res textures though.

Anno is going to be the next purchase... Don't know what that is like for gfx cards. Maybe Max Payne 3 also. Although nvidia gave me thumbs down for playing it on pc with a 460 gtx with an almost 40% overclock. Only at 1080p also.

Anyway, should tie me over until the next card.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Got yourself some good scores there. Unfortunately mine wouldn't let me push too far as was a pre-production model. Should have my 480 under water in the next couple of months for some pixel crunching action :D

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Nice! It is super nice not to have temp be the limiting factor. Although I'm sure if I had a probe on the vrms i'd have more accurate concerns when pushing.

13. The_Crapman

temps were never an issue really. i used a custom fan profile which kept the temps and noise down low, it just wouldn't take any more voltage :-(

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

That's a shame. It is a cracking little card for overclocking. Can't believe it can run at an almost 40% overclock. It should be way past what the 470 gtx could have offered. Maybe someone can show me a stock 480 at the above settings in heaven.

15. The_Crapman

Very close!
    [​IMG]

Try it on extreme settings:
    [​IMG]

bare in mind that your i5 would smash my 6850 (now replaced with 6950) to pieces with 2 cores tied behind it's back. lol

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

[​IMG]

Not close in this one though!!! Although oddly a higher minimum framerate...:confused: although we know heaven can be a bit strange at times.

Still quite impressive for the little fella. Need to look up some GTX 470 scores. I know it should thump a 470 at these clocks. But then there is always overclocked 470 :waah:

But ya... the 470 at 900mhz was faster than a 470, so it should be a little more again now. I'll try a 950/960mhz in a few day.

EDIT: Didn't see the 16x anisotropy. Bugger. But it's not a big perf hit is it anisotropy?

17. The_Crapman

x4
    [​IMG]

x16
    [​IMG]

not a massive difference no. Nice bump of 100 to my score swapping from a stock 480 to the SOC, which has a 821Mhz core clock.