1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils Project HomeOS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 5 Apr 2012.

1. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

So... does this mean they realize Windows 8 has a horrid interface for PCs?

2. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Considering a lot of people have trouble figuring out where to put the bread in their toaster, for them it'll be a brill idea, thats about 95% of the population these days then lol.

3. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Bob actually wasn't designed for Windows 95. It was designed for 3.1, and several of it's major faults were traceable to the fact that it was designed in complete ignorance of 95(and vice-versa).
    Bob couldn't make use of useful 95 features like long file names. And while Bob was capable of launching Win32 apps(since it was for the most part just a shell), Windows 95 could NOT launch Bob apps(of which there are blessedly few) without Bob.

Having used it before, albeit briefly(found a copy for a dollar, and it was a hilarious purchase at the time for several contextual reasons), there's actually some interesting ideas that were never explored since it was a Windows 3.1 shell launched in 1995.

On the other hand, Clippy the Paperclip DOES trace his origins to Bob, so... there is that.

4. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It's a lovely idea, though the security implications are the stuff of nightmares - having your CCTV, network-connected alarm and mains power all accessible and controllable through one box based off a Windows kernel just makes theft even easier if it can be hacked.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Meh, the article already points out the issue:

This is exactly what will happen if they try to take this forward; especially if this is a niche research exercise. It's an admirable goal, no doubt, but I highly doubt it's success/practical use.

Most embedded network-enabled devices (that is, something which actually does it's own processing and isn't just a dumb piece of hardware) already have some version of a universal operating system: Linux.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

What I realy want is a tablet with WFI, BT, GPS, IR and 2.4ghz band. So i can use the tablet in my house as a remote device to control all my IR devices with nice screens like a Remote (for example Philips Pronto ish). Use it as a remote for my RC Car on the 2.4Ghz band (its the same as wifi so i think it can be done easy, same as BT is also on the 2.4ghz band.

Instead most tablets have wifi and bluetooth and a rare ammount have GPS. Why don't they release any tablets with ALL possible options to make use of a tablet.

7. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Had a busy week, so I'm just now checking on my week+ old posts;

@schmidtbag; actually every system on the network is win7 (excepting a roku media player), the problem was that my desktop (the primary media repository on the network) had the same system name as my netbook, because M$ has never heard of a MAC address this somehow resulted in both systems being listed as one on the homegroup, while no data on either of them could be accessed, but other systems could be accessed from them. All without triggering a warning message.

@mdshann; there are some, but I know plenty of people with more money then they know what to do with, who have a single aging desktop for a 5 person family. In my experience people who need constant tech support don't even realize what computers are capable of these days.

@Bede: I generally agree with you, but I always wonder why people insist on storing banking pins and such in a digital form, despite not having enough tech skills to install anti-virus software.

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Much more difficult to lose a computer than a piece of paper :D Tbf, I've never really had difficulty remembering my account and card details, but a lot of people have multiple cards and have to write them down somewhere.

Tags: Add Tags