1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hardware we'd have killed for 10 years ago

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

im suprised multi-core CPU's didn't get in there. still, good article, an enjoyable read :)

edit: oh, and motherboard overclocking too, for how much easier its become for the average joe to be able to overclock rather than a dark art like it used to be

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

USB BIOS Flashing? You don't even need to turn a board on to flash the BIOS in 2012! :p

Totally agree about watercooling and SATA though - it makes so much difference!

Needs more multi-core though ;)

What about fresh case layouts? Also what have we lost in the past 10 years - reasonably priced Aluminium, as it's now 3x the price of steel :(

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Apr 2012
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

we've lost the small heatsinks. although processors are becoming more and more powerful, the heat density has been increasing exponentially.

also love how we no longer need to fill all RAM slots. remember the old days where unfilled RAM slots require filler sticks. :D

5. Bobman

Bobman What's a Dremel?

I'd have happily taken a modern gfx card back then, although would have needed a lot of related hardware just to run it. Basically a whole PC from 10 years into the future then!!

6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

10 years ago? MONITORS! What we look at everyday makes the biggest difference, and my eyes are so much better of for using LCD screens (and an LED on order). And the increase in screen resolution - now I can comfortably use multiple apps at the same time because I have 2 x 1080p screens at work...

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

TFT monitors! 10 years ago, most of us were still rocking CRTs.

[edit] ninja'd

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Watercooling compression fittings are the work of the devil and I hate them with a burning, unbridled passion.

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Sorry my friend but resolution has gone DOWN not up. To think of the great resolutions that we used to have on CRT's and the crap that is 1080 now, its like shooting your self in the foot. 2600xXXXX was normal back then.

10. piecerad

piecerad XBOX 360 in a skip

modular power supplies anyone?

11. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

oh god yes!

12. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Nice article..... although I struggle to pinpoint that period in time to present anything relevant beyond whats already beed said.

We cant get too hung up on monitor resolutions - the reality was that (for regular people) screens were too small (21" max) the footprint too big and 3d grunt of a 16mb 3dfx banshee could not manage resolutions beyond 1280x1024.... I think it's fair to say that we now have mainstream monitor resolutions that can be matched (or exceeded) by the GPU and it would of been great to have that back then.

13. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but extreme resolutions didn't seem as useful back then as they do now. In those days, screen sizes weren't so big and UIs tended not to scale well with higher resolutions, so you ended up with tiny unclickable icons and unreadable text. As for games, textures never matched such high screen resolutions and for 3D games there wasn't a graphics card on the planet that could keep up.

Today, extreme resolutions make so much more sense when they are stretched across fabulous 27" or 30" screens, with UIs that can maintain icon and text size independently of the resolution.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

120mm fans! Everything used to come with 80mm fan mounts and fans that used to whine like a ghoul!

Now we live in 120mm silence.....ahhh.

15. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

Optical/Laser mice! Ball mice were awful.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

oh and this! I remember I bought an issue of PC Gamer in about 1995 that came with a mouse cleaner attachment, it was a ball on the end of a stick with golf ball like indentation!

Oh how far we've come.

17. LooZypher

LooZypher Huh!? What!?

USB 2.0 / 3.0...
    Onboard NIC's
    gpu/cpu in one chip
    and affordable 100/100

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Why?

I think they're brilliant, and a far sight better looking than the old jubilee clips.

19. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

And those ugly bland cases... We really got an (r)evolution

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Not just the multi-core processor, but the ridiculous overclocking potential of these modern chips. Who'd've thought in 2002 that we'd have four or eight-core processors that would hit 5ghz on even air cooling in some circumstances?

Tags: Add Tags