1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sinclair ZX Spectrum celebrates 30 years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Apr 2012.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

What are these disk drives you speak of??

Real men used tapes: http://bit.ly/Jmn3gL

[PS 800XL came 3 yrs before C64 (and couldn't compete) and the 130xe came 3 years afterwards - whereas the C64 and speccy went toe to toe in 1982]

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've still got my copy :)

The Speccy is where it all started for me, loved that machine.

3. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

You're missing the poster! :D

Elite was good on the Speccy (faster than the C64 but no docking music :( ), I've had to download the 128K version as my original does not work on the +2 - It's also easier as I don't have to contend with Lenslok like on my Spectrum+.

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I think 10 year old me must still have that :D

5. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Happy anniversary Speccie - We will always love you!!

Even with it's colour clashing etc... this was an awe inspiring moment when I got my 2nd hand 48k ZX Spectrum, joystic adaptor, the kensington joystick, jet set willy, manic miner, Elite, Delta Wing, sabre wulf, attic attack, Daley Thompson's decathlon, chequered flag - all fantastic games and just hearing the name reminds me of my own computing history..

Had the Spectrum for a few years, moved to C64 where (after a few years of tape loading) I had my first disk drive (5.25" floppy disk drive that was the size of a shoe box) god bless Action replay and 'Turbo Loading' unsung heroes of gamers of those times.... Gunship, F117A, Ninja, pit stop2, Attack of the Mutant Camels. Paradriod, Uridium, Rescue on Fractalus... then came the arcade conversions of Outrun etc....

Atari ST came next, enjoyed loads of mostly arcade conversions, Elite Plus, although the F16 combat simulator was awesome and I played my first serial connected head to head dogfight with a mate (hauling a CRT around was aweful).

Then an Amiga 600 that did not last that long before I moved to my first PC, DX2-66 CPU, 8xCDROM, 4meg ram, 540mb hard disk etc.... my first game was Star Trek TNG.... rest is also history.

6. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I remember when I started with a TK83 (a clone from them).

7. barbary

barbary What's a Dremel?

Does anyone remember what it cost in 82. I've seen those prices on wikipedia before and I think its been shown before that they are wrong.

Never got the appeal of the spectrum by 85 the C64 seemed to be almost the same price and was far better.

8. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

For some reason I can;t get £179.99 out of my head.... It might be worth while looking up an old copy of Your sinclair or Sinclair user to see if you can find one in there...

9. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can assure you, they're right. Behold this original launch advert for the 16K and 48K versions:
    [​IMG]
    (From Golfy's Blog.)

£125 for the 16K, £175 for the 48K.

(The Spectrum 48K was the first computer I had that was mine and mine alone - previous machines had been 'family' computers. After it released the magic smoke, I upgraded to a Commodore C64, then a C128, then a Schneider Euro-PC II IBM-compatible.)