1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Drive finally launches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Actually, Microsoft are offering a free 25Gb upgrade to SkyDrive users - as pointed out in BennieBoy's thread.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Existing users only, and for a limited time - anyone signing up from here on out is stuck at 7GB unless they pay.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

aren't those terms normal for google, whats yours is ours to use as we see fit

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

All I got was the offer to be notified when I can get it. Nothing more. Fail Whale. I'll stick to my 25GB Skydrive.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The last time they tried terms like that (with Chrome) the internet firestorm that descended made them do a fairly abrupt about-face on the issue. Whether similar happens this time, or whether Google get away with it has yet to be seen...

That said, I don't see anyone who relies on Cloud storage using this when there are services that don't have the same nasty sting in the tail about royalties and rights.

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

awesome gj bennieboy. Just dug up my old hotmail account and signed up for 25gig. Stuff dropbox and their bs referal shyte.

8. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I know there is an individual file size limit, but I can't remember what it is. I know it's mainly for docs, though.

9. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

25mb I believe, even my weekly backup rars exceed this size :/

Trying out Skydrive briefly, it seems to be a pain to share images to embed in forum threads or share on IM. Process is: 1) dump file into skydrive folder 2) log into Skydrive on web 3) click public folder 4) click image 5) view original image 6) right click to copy image location 7) paste in forum or IM window.

Sod that, will stick with Dropbox, has only two/three steps compared to skydrive ;)

10. bluepumpkin

bluepumpkin Pumpkin in Blue

Awesome, cheers for making me aware of the post, just got my 25GB upgrade

11. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Ill stick to my 32Gb Encrypted USB Stick thank you very much...

Would rather not loose ownership of my data.

12. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Box.net still gives away free 50GB accounts for iphone and android users who sign up. 2GB file size limit. One of the best services I've ever used.

13. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

after your mention of dropbox having a similar copyright policy I was concerned and checked their terms of use policy. I could not find any mention of implicitly granting them any rights to free use and distribution. the only rights they claim are those needed to provide their service, and they specify that those rights are granted strictly for those services. Still generally vague, but nowhere near as powerful as google's policy.

I could be missing it somewhere, but unless someone can point me to a page and line saying so, I really don't think that is a fair comparison. (honestly, by the look of it DropBox has excessively friendly terms of use, easy to read and very modest in their legal compass).

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dropbox did modify its policy last year, following a massive outcry when people finally started reading what they'd already signed, to include a clear disclaimer about you retaining full rights to your works. It's still not as open a policy as, for example, SpiderOak.

15. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Main thing I'm nervous about is Google is essentially saying is "It's your data... But it's ours, too... Thus, it's the whole world's data."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Sky drive max file size is 2GB if I remember correctly

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Said it before, and I'll say it again. <3 SpiderOak.

18. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

if you wanna use this but concerned with privacy then just upload encrypted files

Tags: Add Tags