1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple's Cook heaps scorn on Microsoft's Metro UI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Apr 2012.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I rather like the idea of a touch-enabled laptop. Pointless if you have a mouse, but if you're stuck with a touchpad or one of those nipple-things, being able to just tap on what you want makes a lot of sense.

The silly thing for MS though is if only they added one tiny little additional feature to Win 8 that allowed you to swap the Metro interface for the Win 7 Start menu, 99% of the criticisms of Win 8 would disappear in an instant.

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

And so he should; Metro is rubbish.

3. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

You guys are correct.

Go into the OSX terminal and run the "uname" command.
    Also, put in it in your mobile iDevice.

You'll get Darwin (UNIX) as the uname.

4. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

You're ever so slightly confusing things here. The core kernel of iOS is the same as OS X - however, the interface on top is radically different. The problem he's pointing out with Win8 is that what works well for a tablet doesn't work well for laptops from an interface point of view.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

omg refridetoaster!

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Funny enough, when I was in college we had something called a "microfridge." It was a small refrigerator with a microwave oven integrated on top. It was basically two devices packaged in one appliance. It was brilliant because I effectively had two appliances powered by a single plug, and the whole thing worked perfectly.

There may be a point there.

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I have to agree with him, unfortunately. Windows ME,tro does look like it'll be a PITA for desktops; so much so that I have absolutely no plans to move to it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an overwhelming urge to buy a turtleneck, hang out in Starbucks and write sad emo poetry about RISC on an overpriced tablet.

8. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I almost feel compelled to ask - are you making this judgement through reading up on Metro, or have you actually tried it? I was apprehensive until trying it and it really isn't that bad once you get used to it.

The comparison to Windows ME did make me chuckle - although I'm pretty sure the consumer preview is more reliable than Windows ME ever was. For sh**s and giggles I might load ME onto a virtual machine with the same config later and see what happens...

I'm pretty sure there were plenty of people that would have said the same thing when Windows 95 was released and yet Windows 95 has provided the basis for Windows for the last 7 years.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Brooxy: actually, Windows 8 is nearly unusable through Remote Desktop. The corner gestures ? Sure, try to do those pixel perfect gestures when you are not restricted by the display. They need to work on mouse interface. A lot.

10. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Fair play, I've not tried using it via an RDC connection - I've been using VMware player and fullscreening the machine instead. I'll give RDC a go tonight - hopefully the issues will be resolved by the full release.

As far as standard use goes though, I've not had any major issues, hence the having no problems with Metro thus far. I guess different types of use will show different problems

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, try to use it in VMware while not having it on fullscreen. The experience will be similar.

12. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Arghpple always sucked, nothing new here, moving on.

13. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

In terms of OS, all of them suck in at least one respect, whether that be Windows, OSX, OS/2 or Linux.

As for a company sucking, Apple are returning a healthy profit last time I checked. Obviously they don't suck that much......

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Dude, that wasn't just you! We had them too, as recently as 2010 :D

260 hot pockets in the fridge, microwave up top. Wasn't healthy, but boy was it perfect for those 24-36 hour weekend gaming sessions. Although you'd be lucky if you could poop right a week later.

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm sick of this now, they're just trying to climb on the hate Windows 8 bandwagon. Metro isn't anywhere near as bad as people are making out and with a couple of little tweaks it will be perfect. I'm sick of hearing so many complaints because it is "different" which actually it isn't, not really. Nowhere near a big a jump as people are making out.

16. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

I couldn't agree more- I think Cooky just had a seriously innovative idea. It saves space, minimises clutter and reduces the amount you (or the wife ;)) have to trek around the kitchen.
    When historians look back upon the 21st century they will no doubt praise this day as the genesis of the refridgetoaster, the pinnacle of human invention :D

17. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

windows 8 is just a new portal for microsoft to sell more "apps", at least, to the stupid people, least, thats what they hope for....

18. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

i am an ios user, but i can see how Windows phone have a slicker interface. ios, with its bland static icons sitting there is starting to look very dated indeed.
    Every new version of windows for the desktop brings in the hate from people that got too cosy with their current ways. i'll reserve judgement until i try the released version.

19. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Tried it now. I can see what you mean - it definitely makes things a bit more tricky albeit not impossible. All that needs to be done is for MS to make the trigger area a little bigger.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    ... for KB+M PCs.

I got tired of using Windows 8 on a desktop PC. Too much hassle to do stuff. It doesnt help that I spend my work time with XP or 7 machines.

I dont understand this kind of statements:
    Are you sure you have 7 properly setup?

Tags: Add Tags