1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ASUS Striker II NSE - Emergency Surgery and Rehab

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 18 Feb 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think one of the issues on the fusion was inconsistent placement of thermal paste by Asus. Some people had removed the entire heatpipe to apply new paste, some had destroyed their boards trying...

I tried to remove it on mine but I was too scared to try hard so I left it as it was.

One thing I did notice about the Asus max extreme I had was that windows would boot twice as fast as a normal mobo. I don't know if you've experienced that on yours? I actually timed it and windows xp was booting literally in half the time.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well windows has been booting a lot faster than on my p5k-e, but I put that down to the raptor. However there is an option in the bios for fastboot or speedboot, which bypasses some of the system checks to make it faster. Turned it off once and it took an age to even get to the windows loading screen, at which point my finger was already pressing the reset button.

I'm going to have to switch back to the p5 for a while at some point, so I'lldo a few timings and hdd benches to see what the improvements in those areas are.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I had a Striker II Extreme and it was the best socket 775 board I had ever had.

I went from a Asus P5N-D which was a joke, wouldn't overclock my Q6600 at the time above 3.2ghz.

Went then to the Striker II Formula, and while this was a good board it still wouldn't let my chip oc above 3.2ghz but it did stop my graphics cards overheating.

I then decided to drop some money on the Striker II Extreme and instantly my chip would oc to 3.6ghz, and then when I changed to the Q9450 it went up to around the 3.8ghz mark for benching but would only run at 3.6ghz for a 24/7 oc within the temp's I like to keep the cores at.

I really liked the board's and I loved the fusion block on the Extreme made a massive difference for benching runs back in the day.

4. The_Crapman

I couldn't get more than 3.3 with my q6600 on my p5ke. Then got it to 3.6 on the striker easily, but was a bit hot caause only had air cooling at the time. Can't wait to see what I can get out of my qx6850 :D

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

[​IMG]

That's really cool! Can you talk us through the mod and a list of parts?

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It's not a mod i don't think. I know one of the Strikers came with a waterblock... as standard. Easy enough to pick up from ebay i would say.

Of course, i could be wrong.

Sam

7. The_Crapman

It's the Antec Kuhler 620 that's been modded, not the motherboard. keep up dear ;-)

Thanks mate. It turned out way better than i thought it would, especially as it wasn't all plain sailing. Will do a write up tonight over in modding. but for now i have to go to work and play games all day. oh the humanity!
    [​IMG]

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Fire the link in here when you open the thread. I have a Kuhler 620 myself and this looks mighty tempting!

9. The_Crapman

10. The_Crapman

so far got my qx6850 to 3.45ghz (345x10), but then going up to 350fsb just wasn't happening, even with a decent wedge of extra voltage. seem to remember having a 'hole' around hear with my q6600 too.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Lower the multiplier and find your boards maximum stable FSB first. Decent way to see if it's either your board or CPU limiting the overclock. Now time to read your Antec Kuhler MOD guide! :thumb:

12. Satanello

Satanello What's a Dremel?

Hi, i have an Nse + e8600 + 2x4Gb Teamgroup Xtreem 2133. The sistem run very well ( cpu overclocked at 4 ghz) but the spp and mcp are very hot ( all air cooled) water is a good choice :)

Inviato dal mio LG-P990 con Tapatalk 2

13. Satanello

Satanello What's a Dremel?

If you can put it @ 400 fsb you can gain performance without risk; i tested a q9300 up to 440/450 fsb with no problems but over 400 fsb the chipset require more voltage and i preferred the e8600@400x10.

Inviato dal mio LG-P990 con Tapatalk 2

14. The_Crapman

i've had it at 8*400 which it and my q6600 took in their stride. teezelbub had it at 4ghz previously too. more playing required!

15. The_Crapman

Emergency Surgery and Rehab

It all started mid last week while trying to overclock my 480. After a succesful pass on Heaven@725, I came back out to windows, checked the temps were all fine bumped the oc up to 750 then my pc froze. I turned it off and restarted it and there was a bit of gargling from the Antec 620, which it had a habit of doing on start up as the res was ever so slightly lower the the pumps intake. When windows had loaded the gargling was still going and core temp popped up to tell me my cpu was over 100C!:eeek:

I pulled the plug on the psu and let it cool down for a while, then lay it on it's side, unscrewed the res and held it so it was directly over the pump when I turned it on. I turned it off after 30 seconds, topped the res up a bit and repeated a couple of times checking the coolant level between each blip till i was happy I'd got the air out. Then putting the case back the right way up, I hooked everything back up and turned it on and got nothing but a blank screen, no power through the USB either. I thought I'd absolutely chebbed it!

I took the battery out the mobo for a good hour without the power connected to ensure the bios had reset (the clear cmos switch doesn't seem to work). Then started it back up with just 1 stick of ram and my old 460 in and she came back to life. Switched back to my 480 again and still ok and I'd got power back in the usb.

The next day I went back to attempting to oc my 480, but after another run at 725 the screen froze. I could restart and get into windows but then would freeze whenever tried loading a picture heavy web page or a game. I thought i'd blown my 480:waah: I took it out to test my 460 in the system, gave the 480 a sniff for any burning smell when and got something wet on my nose. I then realised I'd got some liquid on my fingers from somewhere and that somewhere was not good.

Turned out the top connection on the NB block had been leaking from the escapades the previous day. So quick as I could I emptied the loop and pulled it out the case, her guts lying strewn across the floor like something out of Platoon.
    [​IMG]

There was a protective stiker on the block which water had also seeped under.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The leak had dripped right onto where the 480's PCB goes into the PCI-E slot so after leaving for a few days to dry, I put a little Isopropanal (or Propan-2-ol for those chemists out there) in the PCI-E slot to get rid of any residues left behind, then put kitchen towl over the gfx card connector pushed it into the slot to soak up the liquid and crap.

No with this leak and the prior problem with the trapped air in the 620's pump, I decided since it was already out, a reworking of the loop was in order. First, in order to prevent a leak on the NB again, I wrapped some plumbers tape round the barbs to get a tighter fit.
    [​IMG]

Then securing the cpu heatsink on the mobo with the inlet/outlet at the bottom and putting the rad and res back in the case, I looked what pieces of the pipe could be reused and which would need new sections. After cutting, fitting and filling the new configuration. I was rather pleased with how it turned out and even prefer it to the original.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All up and running again, although cores 0 and 1 seem to ben running 5 degrees above 2 and 3, when previously there was only a 2-3 degree spread between them and not so uneven. I might need to re-seat the heatsink if it seems to cause issues.

Last edited: 8 May 2012