1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Put simply:

[​IMG]

2. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

:thumb:

Thanks Nutman:thumb:

Yeah that poor pico build have suffered. But I have somewhat started it by gathering the material needed. A nice little pile of alu waiting for me to get my hands dirty :)

I evaluated every possible controller I could think of. The 360 pcb was to big, the wii pcb too long, the mini-wii controllers had to large battery. I managed to get my ps3 controllers to work with windows using two different methods, so I gave it a go. However I have experienced some ocasional lost connection between the ps3 controller and the PC. I suspect it's because of bad range on the bluetooth reviecer. I will try and use an external one and see if it gets better.

Thanks mate:rock:

Hehe I guess that someone would be me then :worried:

I actually think this case can be pretty god at causing fleshwounds itself with all its sharp corners. They are not razor sharp but pretty darn pointy and the weight on top of that makes it pretty uncomfortable to hold. But since it's not a laptop that won't be a problem, but I'm pretty shure I dont want to drop it on my foot.

Awsome CMos:thumb:

Thanks Attila. Well it's not officially over jet but the buidling phase is done. But Im not sorry for that at all. My list of future projects is longer than I can manage during my lifetime so I will happily carry on with the next one. Same for you I assume?:thumb:

Thank very much Darkwisdom for your feedback. I have been through most of those points before I decided to go for the PS3 board. The reason for not keeping the wire is because I remember how many times I've tripped over those wires back in the days, sending the NES flying through the room. I thought the risk of tipping the case over If I had wires was to big.
    However I think the Nes connector is one of the best looking ones out there, something special about it.

Fiddly is my middle name so thats another reason to go for the PS3 version. But as you sugest I was also looking into bluetooth keyboards but it was hard to find info on the size of the pcbs on the inside. So it would have been kind of a guessing when choosing the keyboard.

Thanks for the tips and comments:thumb:

Thank you very much:D

Awsome comments as always mate, realy apreciate it:rock:

Oh..that guy again, thanks :D

Last edited: 24 Apr 2012
    matiss likes this.
  3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

PCs use a external usb for the connection for wireless, so why not use an NES connector as part of the wireless dongle?

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  4. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

What's with the anodizing on the back? It looks like the area around the square holes is a little different in shade. What did you use to file / sand? What alloy aluminum?

But holy crap...this thing has so much awesome in it. I still can't believe you slit-saw all of those damn lines. You crazy boy, you crazy.

You get a big fat LOVE from me. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Fap Fappity Fap fap fap

Great work Gnu! Ali+anodising+video games=win!

6. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Amazing work man, massive props to you !!!! :D

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I don't really have a list of projects to do, just heaps of fragments of ideas, finish a project, feel like something is missing in life so get that creative twitch & gotta get making something again. :hehe:

8. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Wow that looks awesome, great surface finish too, the brushed look fits the case perfectly.

9. matiss

matiss Minimodder

An absolut beauty and such wonderfull memories of played through nights. Have some rep for the ludicrous slitting work and 5 stars for such a wonder of a case.

1UP :D

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah, that could be an option, the connector would have to bee on the dongle though since its to late to add the nes connector in the case. Ill see how I solve the bluetooth part but Ill deffinetly keep it in mind if I go for a dongle version.

I could have guessed that the eye behind Acronym would spot that.:D
    There is a slight different shade around the squares as you say and It's from the sanding process. This piece was the last one to be sanded 1 hour before I had to be at the anodizer so I was kind of in a rush. I thought it would be an easy job to just smooth out the surface but as soon as I started sanding I got those horrible grey areas from sanding too much or to hard. I was using regular wetpaper ranging from 400-1200. The only solution I could find was to sand the hell out of it all to achieve the same surface on the whole part. And since the area around the squares are much thinner and more easy to deform I didn't dare to sand as much. Thats probably the reason for the different shade.

I don't know what alloy it is actually, this is from a large sheet I ordered a long time ago and didn't specify any alloy. So I guess it's the most common sheet metal alloy. However the difference isn't as vissible irl as in the pictures. The photos are taken with some studio flashes that realy show every littleflaw there is.

Do you know what kind of grey areas I mean? And how to prevent them? Any specific sheet metal alloy that is better to use for sanded surfaces?

I don't think I'll ever touch a slit-saw again. I still don't understand why I insisted on making the slits 6mm deep since I could have done just as fine with 3mm I guess.

Anyway, thank you very much for the very nice comment.:rock:

oh.. sorry.. didn't mean to interuppt that thing you were doing..
    ..just whanted to say thanks:rock:

Thanks man, props to you too:thumb:

Yeah, the need for creating stuff is never dying. I've gathered all my crazy ideas of projects that would be cool and fun to make in a folder together with a small description or sketches of the idea. There they sit and whait untill the time is right.

Thanks, nice to hear you like the brushing since there is quite a lot of hours behind it.:thumb:

Thanks matiss, the memories of those playtimes are really something. Hopefully I will get some new ones on this system:D

11. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Sounds to me like you either weren't using clean paper, it wasn't wet, or you were pressing too hard. Gray spots sounds like somehow the aluminum dust from sanding was getting stuck onto the paper then spread back around onto the aluminum. I don't think there's any specific type of alloy that is privy to sanding specifically, but look up which ones are better at being anodized than others. That should be the main priority.

12. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

18 months sub'd to this thread to see this picture.
    It was more than worth it.

Amazing build, been a real pleasure to watch start to finish.

13. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for the input. I think it might be from presing to hard, but I think I will investigate it a bit more when I get the time and try different sanding techniques and papers. However I've made shure that the new alu I bought is of good anodizing quality

18 months, omg it has already been that long. Well time flyes. Thanks for subscribing and I hope you will like the final pictures aswell. I will show some more interesting final shots once the nes controller is complete and everything is ready.

:thumb:

14. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

:clap:Amazing Gnu!!! So much effort and such a beauty... Give me shots from every angle possible, NOW! Also, good luck with the controller. I like cables, but wireless acctually fits well with this artifact...

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks quizz.. I can only say the same about your projects. Each one of your projects are a seperate piece of art. I promise I will take shots from every possible angle, I think I will invest in a new camera for that aswell.

Btw quizz.. I was planning to go to "retrospelsmässan" (retro gaming convention) tomorrow but I thought of skipping it because of sicness. But then I saw that you will show your work and suddenly I was healthy as can be:D. Would be awsome to see your work in real life but I havn't fully decided If I will go yet.

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Long time reader, first time poster, I couldn't resist anymore - simply stunning! Nostalgia is just one of the feelings I got from this, the other is a powerful desire to mod everything into things from Mario..

17. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Well hope you´ll make it there... Stay healthy!!

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hmmmm a Gnu & quizz mod would be pure :jawdrop::D awesome alu work from Gnu & awesome woodwork from quizz, holy moly. :eeek:
    [​IMG]

The retro gaming thing sounds an excellent place to show this beauty Gnu but like quizz said would be awesome but stay well so we can see more high level modding that is also fun. :D

19. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

OMFG !!! Big N should ask you for their next console design :D. Great job matey :thumb:

20. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Man, that's an idea. A SFF build with those two sets of skills would be immense.:rock: