1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Are you content with your build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Somer_Himpson, 28 Apr 2012.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Me wants a 30in IPS screen and a new GFX card for the workstation, maybe a 560Ti would suit me perfect for cuda core loving vs power/heat.

Laptop wise, my X61t is on as soon as the kettle is switched on in the morning, and last device turned off at night atm. Simply amazed by this little thinkpad, far better than a tablet.

Would love a new portable workstation as my HP NW8440 is starting to struggle a little but otherwise almost content with my tech.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

it may all be at least 3 generations old, but pretty much. will run everything at 1080 and cost me £400, including the antec kuhler and modded bits. just want to get it all on a proper water loop and mod the crap out of it.

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I love my pc as it is but I will never be happy with it. I want to change a few things, fans, get an ssd increase ram to 8gb but I don't feel like I need to replace anything for the time being. I replaced my case, mobo, proc, and graphics in January. Before that I wasn't really happy. I had a generic case, phenom 555, entry level board and 4870 graphics. Now I am relatively satisfied (ish)

4. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I run 2 pc's, one for internet and general purpose stuff, and one for gaming.
    Internet pc is AMD based as I like Cool'n'Quiet, 3.2Ghz chip clocks back to 800Mhz when reading emails, etc.
    I did have an i5 750 based rig for gaming, but just in the process of upgrading to IB. I am somewhat disappointed with the reviews I've just read, but bought a 3570 anyway. The only original part left in the pc is the gfx card, as my pre-overclocked 560Ti plays everything I throw at it flawlessly at high settings. Doesn't stop me twitching at the thought of a 680 though..!

5. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

I've not actually built it yet but I'm fairly happy with the build I'll be finishing in the next few weeks (come onnnn payday) my only niggle now is do I bump straight into IB or stick with the SB I've got in my sig. Its £10 more for the 3570K. A lot of "disappointing" reviews I've seen tend to be more for the fact it's not a big step up from SB and that compulsive upgraders would find it lacking in any great improvement over what they already have.

Once I finished mine I'm sure I'll start eyeing up more expensive parts.

6. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm never happy with what I have, I always want MOAR!

In the last 6 months I have built SB, SB-E and Llano systems. It's gonna take me longer than I planned to build a SB Xeon system, so I'll probably have another one or two systems by then. I'll be happy when I can afford this hobby :)

7. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I think the worst thing about IVB is the heat. From reviews and articles I've read, you will get temps 20-30C higher than SB if you overclock by much, so extreme cooling is needed for 24/7 overclocks that compare to SB overclocks on air/water.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm content with what I have now for what I use it for, but I will soon be running more demanding software that will require me to upgrade in some key areas. I already have the mobo sitting on my dresser. Just need an IB to plop in there, and I want to get a GTX 680 and an SSD. At that point, I'll probably be happy for a few more years.

I also wanna throw together an HTPC/Emulation box based around Micro ITX with an AMD A8. That's on the back burner for now, though.

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

id love a gpu upgrade so i could max out ffx and bf3 ( if i ever decide to play it again )
    maybe some new fans for my h70 ( sythe Gts )
    possibly a cpu upgrade to also help sup com along abit
    then a large ( ish ) ssd to install my slow loading games to ( ffx im looking at you )

and if im being brutally honest, some cable tidying ( shorting and sleiveng ) will also go down well i would think, then id be more than happy

i have a shopping list all planned out when funding becomes avalible :D

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'm happy with my Q6600 considering it's ~5 years old and still runs BF3 like a champ

I will be upgrading to a IB in the summer

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Not 100% happy with mine. The wiring at the back of the motherboard tray could be better if I'm being fussy. Plus I'm waiting to drop a IB-E in there. I may, or may not yet drop a couple of 680s in there but I'm kind of really waiting for Maxwell.

All in all though, I'm happy yes. It's furiously fast, and very reliable.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

core2Duo, DDR2, and an 8000-series - what do you think? :miffed:

13. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

Lol, you sound like you have my current rig, in the process of doing a few upgrades, not currently happy with what I've got, but hopefully will be soon, 3570k, 680 4GB, and a few other bits and Bobs and then in the future maybe a few 27" Dell monitors and water to cool it all.

14. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

no.

I want a bigger, cooler and more sleek case
    a 256gb ssd
    a gtx 680 4gb

after those then yes probably

15. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I would say im always on the look out for things to improve my main pc, but i cant find anything that i want for it.

Should i get a 680, well i dont play that many games and my 580 works fine
    Maybe scrap the x58 for something better, but my cpu copes fine.
    some ssds, well i have 4 of them

You see where im going with this.

I think what i need for my pc hasnt been invented yet, so its more of a case of having to be happy with it.

I want to treat it, but not sure what with as yet.

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Great thread, interesting reading how people feel about what has become for me - addiction! I aint ever going rehab!!

I've been happy with mine for some months now whilst slowly putting together bits and pieces for my next build, which has not been 100% decided on.

My current could use a dedicated games SSD, but I will purchase that for the new machine.

17. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^^ eventually we will all be in rocking chairs and straight jackets...

must get faster

must get faster

must get faster

maybe a new cpu ?? or a gpu...or more hdds...ram, psu,case,watercooling...OMG!!!

18. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i don't really need to upgrade anything BUT i'd like a more powerful GPU, and 512GB SSD :D

19. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Never been happier with my machine, I think I will have this rig for a long time now. If I found a wad in my pocket it would be spent on a second u2711

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm nearly there. The system is pretty balanced, with the 2500K and GTX 580 being pretty good partners, and enough RAM for gaming.

My last change is storage. I have two SSDs on order, a 128GB and 256GB M4 to replace my current 60GB SDD + 500GB mechanical set up. This means I can have Windows and Origin installed on the 128GB drive and Steam on the 256GB, so everything installed gets SSD speeds.

Beyond that, changes are cosmetic (braiding would be nice) and noise related. I'd love a 680 to replace the 580, just to drop power and temps, but brain says no.