1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage to buy ssd now or wait??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirky90, 29 Apr 2012.

1. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

i am looking at get a crucial m3 256GB as they can be had for very cheap atm.

i don't need it right now, the question is: is the price likely to drop??

it has been falling for ages, will it stop??

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have a couple of friends who always "wait" until some point in the future for something special to happen.

One of those friends has a DDR2 1066, Q6600, Abit P38 system and no SSD.

Zurechial likes this.
  3. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

haha; good point.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Buy now, I don't think they will get all that much cheaper in the near future. Once prices level out to the around $1/GB point I think it will stay there for awhile.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

What's wrong with that? :D

I'm still running a Q6600, and DDR2 800 RAM, and haven't got an SSD yet, and my system still plays everything I chuck at it, and does everything I need it to.

Granted, an SSD would make a big difference, and I'll probably be getting one sooner or later.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

In his case it's not too bad cos all he plays is CSS. He says he can't run BF3.

At a certain point you have to make a choice to upgrade.

7. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The sudden drop in pricing is interesting, but my strong suspicion is that it's more about clearing stock before the new Marvell & SF controllers appear & the switch to 20nm nand happens...

...so whilst you 'may' find that you could save a couple quid by waiting a bit, i don't think you're going to see *that* much further movement short term.

(as opposed to the price war to consolidate the market stuff discussed in the last couple of posts in this thread)

Otherwise, for ~£16 more than the ~£180 for an 256GB M4, you 'could' get a Samsung 830 atm...

Well, on Dabs, they're listed @ £249.99...

...there's £10 off using the April10 code when checking out - £239.99...

...there's a current Samsung offer to refund the VAT - £199.99

...& going to Dabs through topcashback you can get ~£4 in cash back...

& that's for a *much* better drive than the M4.

Naturally it's not just the M4 & 830 that can be gotten for a decent price atm... ...the SFs are also noticably getting cheaper (for example, the 120GB max iops dropping from ~£145 to ~£125 yesterday on Amazon), but as you hadn't been looking at a SF...

& also, whilst i personally like the tech advantages that the SFs give (longer lasting nand, better in non-trim/raid, the raise tech, etc), that 830 deal is really very good...

...almost tempted myself (though i can't really justify spending the money on more SSDs yet).

8. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Lol... this is me, pretty close to exactly. Q9550, P35, 8GB DDR2 1066MHz, 5 disk RAID 0 and 5.

From experience, don't always "wait" for the next thing... you'll wait forever... like me... :duh:

9. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

My advice when waiting for better tech is if the next generation is only a few months away, wait for that. If it's more than a few months away, just get what's available now. Shouldn't wait for more than a generation.

10. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

You really need to make a comprehensive guide to SSD's, you've helped so many people :D

11. theoeyeo

theoeyeo What's a Dremel?

buy now. Because you know as soon as you buy something the next thing gets released, and i need to upgrade my ssd to something better :)

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Or you can wait until the new tech is released, let it drop in price, and then pick up the old tech it replaced for next to nothing!

For example, I always bought the best GPU of each generation (X1950XTX, 8800GTX, GTX280), but my new strategy will be to wait until the GTX570 or 580 is around £100 (not as far away as you might think). It will still be a massive upgrade from my 280 for peanuts - even though the 780 will be out by then.

Not a suitable strategy for those who insist on bleeding edge hardware, but for more casual geeks like me it's a great way of saving the pennies. :thumb:

An example of the awesomeness of depreciation.