1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Starting a build, would like advice...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voids sleet, 29 Apr 2012.

1. voids sleet

voids sleet What's a Dremel?

Hello there, its been a good 2 years since i did anything to my pc (other then install 7) and now ive decided that i need a whole new pc.

now ive got a basic thunk of where to start but ive thought i best come get advice before i start...

so the basic idea i have is i'd love to go sli / crossfire, try for full bandwith on 2x of the pci-e for that.

on that which chip should i go for, not a intel or amd fan boy so it makes no difference to me either one as long as it does what it says on the tin.

so i guess the mobo would follow on with them 2, not planning on ocing the chip / gpu but a bit of head room may be good.

ive not set my self a budget yet but in the long run i dont want to be spending so much i need to leave a leg as a deposit but i am open to options

I already have a haf x sat here waiting to get filled.

right best keep looking at things, what would your advice be with all this :worried:

2. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

What do you play and at what monitor res?

3. voids sleet

ive got a 1920x1200 monitor at the moment, im considering changing it but will see

I play so many things, ive got 48 games in my steam and another 20+ on the wall so kind of hard to narrow it down :thumb:

shooters and rpgs are mainly what i play, that should narrow it down some

4. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

If you want SLI/CrossFireX then Intel Ivy Bridge is the way to go due to the PCIe 3.0 lanes.

Here is a core build for you: http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/83f8b74aea5841f9a025ea9361fb39fe

Obviously you may not want a 680, and can wait to see what the rest of Kepler has to offer, and you can save money in other places, but this is just an idea :)

5. voids sleet

That build looks sound thanks, what I think I'll do is that mobo, chip and 2x the ram then wait a month or 3 like you say and see what's what with Kepler...

Failing that 2x of the 680 is a lot more powerful then a single 295

6. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

It would be indeed, although at 1200p You wouldn't really need two, not until 1440/1600p.

7. voids sleet

I have been considering the 27" dell for a while, I'd be aiming for one of them after this just so it is not a waste

Plus it'll help some with my editing of my photos, 2 good reasons to go get one

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The Dell 27" is a excellent choice of screens and now the prices have come down makes them even better

9. voids sleet

Yeah I started to look at the dells when they were like £700+ now there coming to the £500 mark it's tempting