1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia announces GeForce GTX 690 4GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

OK, so start saving then......

3. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Wow. I went through their website announcement yesterday, and although I'd like to see some independent tests for proper final opinion, this does indeed look like an immensely capable piece of hardware. I'd love to have one hooked up to a 30inch screen!

4. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Wish i had the time to play games to warrant a new graphics card.

Looks like a nice piece of hardware, though, wonder what the PPD would be on that?

5. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

SLI :-0

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Eeesh! How much?

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Is it fair to say that unless the bridging chipset and or the drivers are sorted and properly supported - this thing will micro stutter like a biatch either now or when driver support is no longer important to nvidia?

Got to admit, it does look very nice, far too expensive for me - seems to me that the rebadged 660 (remember the real 680 is based on GK110 due out late summer I think) is a high margin cash cow for Nvidia, mostly due to AMD's epic fail to bring a decent high end gpu to the market...... I am skipping this farcical series of GPU's from both red and green camps and hope this is not the shape of things to come.

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Expect to pay at least £800 for it.
    The cheapest 680 over here was £400 compared to $500 in the states.

9. Mizugetsu

Mizugetsu What's a Dremel?

after 4 years of neutering my PC down to a shell of it's former self This will be added to my dream system build in september but i think only 1 card initially

10. rollo

rollo Modder

People still assuming gk110 will ever see consumer release for gaming, I'm expecting it to be quadro only and never made into a gaming gpu.

And since when did AMD or nvidia release 2 gpu updates in 1 year, 480 to 580 took close to 14 months ( and give as much performance gain as going from 580 to 680. But it saves a tonne of power ( and tech has an ivy bridge + sli 680 pc system in ( 450 ish watts under full load, the last 580 sli system was closer to 800 that's a huge reduction in power and therefore heat)

Days when we see 40-50% more performance are gone I feel look at CPU market i7950 I brought 3-4 years back is still not holding games back and even ivy bridge is a small minimum frame rate upgrade over it ( not worth £400 it would cost).

This won't see light of day for £600 across here closer to £800 I feel still could be a useful investment to certain people

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Sticking to the 580's set up for now, for a grand I'd want my tea making as well (and ironing done)

12. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

In the year and a half I have been using SLi (two 570GTX's) I have never seen micro stutter. Not once, and that's with a good mixture of old and new games.

I have actually asked bittech about why they hate on SLi so much a few times but never got a response. It has given me zero issues, yet reading them talk about it makes you think it only works once in a blue moon. I have far more issues caused by running three displays, which can be a real chore...but is mostly worth it in the end.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

£600 plus import tax and VAT (which adds £120 to the price by itself) means £800 is about right, give or take a few grubby tenners.

14. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

More like..start starving then.. :D

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

GK110 is most likely reserved for a model between now and Maxwell. New architecture takes a long time to develop. Nvidia needs a card to fill up this space, else they will be late into the game, as where before.
    The GK104 showed to beat with a nice enough margin AMD best single GPU offering, and now, possibly (we have to see reviews), dual GPU's. So why release the GK110, when the slower model does the trick. If all true, Nvidia will keep the GK110 for a model between now and Maxwell, in the case AMD (and they will) release a better GPU from now and Maxwell. Nvidia can hope to tweak and overclock their GK110 if not fast enough, and start producing the chip.

16. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Valid enough question though, I heard life is not *too* rosey for gtx 295 owners, with SLI issues for some games, especially older titles increasing as time goes by and new forceware drivers come through. And That's only gt200 which isn't all *that* old.

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

WOW That's alot of cash - I can't wait to see some reviews :)

18. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Yay - 2GB VRAM per GPU - that's going to go down a treat at 2560x1600 or above. Anyone who purchases such a card for 1920x1200 is ill-informed, and would do better to spend that on some nice monitors instead...

19. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

Nice to see such great hardware.

Now all we need is some software to run on it.....

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Shouldn't it have 6GB of vram on it? Would make more sense on a card like that. Other than that it looks gorgeous. Waste of money as 2 680s in sli would be better, but beautiful none-the-less.

Tags: Add Tags