1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JPClyde, 10 Apr 2012.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

2. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Can't get myself away from the PvP in this game. It's so fast and fluid, you're never far from any action. There's still some balancing to be done but it's far from totally unbalanced.

If anyone is playing add Elory in-game and PM me for some PvP.

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Not really feeling this game lags so much.

And it's not GPU lag. Low graphics makes no difference compared to Ultra.

CPU is using about 30%.

WTF is it? Server lag? Feels horrid compared to WoW.

Only bad point atm.

4. thehippoz

probably got huanged! =] it's good on a 6970 and I run a dual core.. that second vid I recorded only looks laggy because well.. recording at 1080p will do that.. check out the first video recorded at half resolution- even got decent frames in the zergfest

what I noticed though votick.. I had low frames when I had optimizations turned off in my profiles (it looked awesome though w/o optimizations)- with the cat ai enabled, it is smooth but some reason the shadows don't look as crysis.. but it runs like a bat

so it could be nvidia didn't write optimizations for this beta.. the way it's meant to be played! lol :sigh:

maybe huang was swinging from a chandlier this week.. he don't have time for this and the red screen of death

5. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

Exactly my thoughts really, no atmosphere just constant chaos. I would say i was disappointed but i didn't expect much more tbh. Also i can't get over how bad the running animations are.

6. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

It still needs to be optimized atm, which they did say before they let everyone loose in beta.

Most of the time I've found it's fine though, only lag I've had was in WvW.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm having little lag after the first update they did. And, once you start going through the personal story it's MUCH more RPG like. My wife and I were playing through our stories and our experience was nothing alike-each decision we made decided where the game would move for us from there, and the gameplay, while frantic sometimes, is really designed to encourage cooperation-you get more XP for reviving someone than for killing a monster.

8. voids sleet

voids sleet What's a Dremel?

personally I'm waiting till its been out for a month or 3 like i did with GW1

but the price of it and the time ive spent on 1 it seems really fair, the only othe game i played that much is final fantasy 7 maxing everything out on there...

anyway ill see whats what with it :thumb:

9. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

The personal story aspect of it for me is one of the great points. Me and 2 friends ran through each others personal story over the weekend and honestly the differences and choices were amazing. They genuinely made you care about the characters and the choice between
    saving your street rat friend Quinn or stopping the poisoning of Divinty Reach's water supply
    was a hard choice for me.

I chose to
    save Quinn and let the Seraph Guards handle the poison
    which resulted in some funny conversations in my home instance later but I literally sat there for a good couple of minutes
    weighing up whether 1 friend was worth a dozen or so strangers

WvW was a lot of fun too, a small band of 5 can quite easily run around and cap undefended supply points and towers. Whilst a small band of defenders can hold out against a far larger number of enemies in a tower for quite while if they have set up some defences before hand. They do need to make the interesting map features work better though, myself and said friends spent the best part of an hour capping and defending the Temple of Storms in one world with no appreciable affect. We managed to collect enough pearls to get a power node running but then no other villagers would accept the pearls and nothing really seemed to happen.

The completing of maps was a nice touch too, completing all the hearts and finding all the waypoints and points of interest (PoI) rewarded you with a nice letter from the Tyrian Cartographers Guild which had some random weapons and crafting mats attached. Plus it forced you to really look at the maps as some of the PoI were well out of the way and required some proper exploring to get to. One of the best was The Order of Whispers secret base in Lions Arch which wasn't marked on the map and required some creative thinking and a little imagination.

10. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

This version of the client was supposedly CPU bound.

11. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I had a good time on it over the weekend. Played Nord Warrior (saving the human starting area for release). Found it ran OK with no issues, other than it lagging a fair bit when I got to Lions Arch. The questing is different from the normal fill your quest log and then run and do as many as you can before handing in. I liked that you'd wander into an area and there would be something you could go an join in on. I've had some experience with MMO in years past (Guild Wars, WoW, FFXI, PSO) but recently I've spent more time with console RPGs (Fable, Amalur, Skyrim).

One thing I did note was that other people actually stopped and helped with killing mobs, or would stop to revive me during events. All with out asking. Either this is just the beta crowd being more inclined to help, or the game has that sense of helping people is worth your while, through how easily quests can be solo or group.

Looking foward to the release date now. Until then, i'll be playing the free to play Aion.

12. xPinky

xPinky What's a Dremel?

I found this game a joy to play over the weekend, from a former 4-5 year WoW player it was a breath of fresh air and a joy to look at.

FPS did struggle I found, despite running a Gtx680 at 1900x1200, I noticed some comments about it CPU limited rather than GPU, will be keeping a close eye on the release version to see if this has been sorted as its the only thing I can fault it for at the minute! (Apart from obvious beta bugs)

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Well, with the work oriented chaos I managed a whopping 48 minutes late saturday night to play this. I am, however, massively impressed. I can say with absolute certainty that no MMO has grabbed my attention the way this has.

The graphics are stunning (as the first game was) , the story is brilliant (i only played a bit of a noble, sisterless, ele) and the way everyone can join in with anything is genius.

I cannot wait for the next beta weekend where i can actually make the most of it.

14. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Has there been any indication when this might be?

15. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

They said atleast one a month so I wouldn't expect another until the last weekend of May. :sigh:

16. Apocalypso

That's quite a wait but at least Diablo 3 is released in May.

17. Apocalypso

double post

Last edited: 1 May 2012
  18. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Loved the beta, tried all the available starting areas, wasn't a huge fan of the charr starting area, seemed to chaotic and seemed to lack the flow of the other two areas (also, my view might be slightly marred by the fact the area was laggy as hell).

I did manage to get some footage of the end of beta event, which I will try and upoad, although it could be too much of a slideshow to be worthwhile (50+ people all spamming effects)

The charr run is stupid, they spend way, way too long in the air for how fast they are moving.

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Didn't play the beta, but I am looking forward to this. I just hope it is better than ToR.

20. thehippoz