1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News High Court orders ISPs to block The Pirate Bay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 1 May 2012.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Tor

2. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

My response is the same as it always is when a government pretends to have enough power to do this sort of thing.

I laugh.

Soon to come, ThePirateBayNumberTwo.com. which will mirror TPB's content and will be open for all UK users.

And one last thing; The Pirate Bay has never, to my knowledge, spread copy-written material to anyone. TPB is the equivalent of an online dating site for people who like to share movies/music/games the material they host is basically a list of names of people who have a certain file and are willing to share it. then several million individual users arpund the world choose to infringe copyright laws. If the government would like to indict a massive group of it's citizens for 'crimes against major corporations' I think we have to start questioning it's motives.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Everyone knows that all this stuff only penalises those who don't have the smarts to get round it... and tbh, if they knew what to google, they wouldn't even require the smarts.

4. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Censoring at FULL POWER !

5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Did they miss torrentz.eu and just about every other torrent search engine? Why single out pirate bay?

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I guess that it is so if they only target one, they will be more likely to win from a monetary point of view. Then, once the way has been paved by the first win, taking down subsequent sites is easier.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Yep, setting precedents is very important in legislation. Now they've proven that they can order ISPs to block torrent sites for copyright infringement so they can do it again if they choose to go after a similar site. However, what they don't realize is:

Due to their nature, torrent sites will just keep popping up. The people exist, the torrent programs exist, the website just coordinates things. As long as you have the people and programs you can keep on recreating the websites as they're blocked. It's pointless busywork that doesn't do anything for actually stopping piracy.

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yup. Darknet, vpn and proxy all get around it. One of the Pirate Bay addys isn't blocked yet either lol. Think I tried 4 and 3 were blocked.

Tags: Add Tags