1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimps Challenge 2012 - IN PROGRESS, GET INVOLVED :-)

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 23 Jan 2012.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Bump Chimpers :)

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I think the lack of responses is an indication that this team will participate no matter how progress is accounted. We're not in this for a petty win, but to help Stanford run as many simulations as possible so that the bio-physicists can eventually understand how and why key proteins misfold and lead to terrible diseases.

We'll run our computing power to the brink of meltdown, strengthen our team spirit, help each other overcome technical issues, all for he benefit of science, not to get ahead of other groups of people that are animated by the same spirit.

Yes, it's a competition, but if we view it only as such, we're doing it wrong. I suggest our feedback to the new rules be: "We'll do it no matter what. We're not in this for the score."

3. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

+ 1 although I realise I don't really get a vote anymore.

I think it keeps the original spirit of the the CC whilst giving the smaller teams other criteria to maintain their interest. It could possibly be refined given enough time but would it be worth it? I don't think so. For me, the CC has never been about us winning but rather about being a plucky loser that had fun trying to punch above our weight whilst generating interest in the folding cause.

I don't envy you your job this year Rob. Keep your chin up mate.

4. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Well done Rob under the circumstances,:thumb: I admit winning can be fun, but really I am only interested in the participation.

5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Perhaps the silence is because none of us violently disagree with the new rules. Some sort of handicapping was bound to come in again this year. Has anyone volunteered to do the online charts and so forth ~ it may get complicated!

:thumb:

6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

I'm with everyone else, not really bothered about the rules just enjoy the challenge :)

Time to start testing some higher OC's to get them extra points :)

7. coolamasta

Cheers guys, good to know as a team we keep the science as the No.1 priority during the challenge, I will report back saying we are good to go with whatever method works as we are in it no matter what :thumb:

Christopher - yes I believe one of the teams are sorting a stats system but not heard much about it but im sure there will be one where it can be monitored with a bit of trash talk :)

8. coolamasta

Final Rules are here, also updated first post:

1. Each team will fold for 10 days solid for the duration of the contest.

A "Chimp Points" system will be used to determine the placings as follows:
    Points system:

• There will be three categories - Points, Growth and Conversion:

Points are the # of millions each team produces (120,000,000 is 120 points).
    Growth is based off of last year's CC production (essentially, the handicap system we used last year).
    Conversion is the amount of points made by the team by their CC user (so monkey_bollocks points/OCAU points*100).

• Each category will be "normalised" as follows:
    Example numbers

Team A - 120
    Team B - 84
    Team C - 47
    Team D - 103

We take the range (max-min, which = 73). We then use this formula = (points*100/range).

So the scores become:

Team A - 164.4
    Team B - 115.1
    Team C - 64.4
    Team D - 141.1

Finally, we subtract the lowest score (64.4) from all teams, to bring the points into a 10-110 range (10 for lowest team, 110 for highest team):

Team A = 110
    Team B = 50.7
    Team C = 10
    Team D = 76.7

• We add up the totals for each category, and the team with the most points across all three categories wins.

2. Start time for the contest is Tuesday, May 15th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -7).
    The finish for the contest is Friday, May 25th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -7).

3. The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize.
    Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this.
    The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing teams are forbidden to display it.
    The losing teams are bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed.
    People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw!

4. Team captains and Vice Captains are as follows:
    OCF - Captain: David
    OCAU - Captain: leroyxx/RETARD/BlueRaven
    OCN - Captain: zodac/sweffymo
    EVGA - Captain: Drougnor/Xavier Zepherious/Devdog51
    CPC & bit-tech - Captain: coolamasta
    Hardware Canuks - Captain: chriskwarren/3.0 Charlie
    TSC! Russia - Captain: Hil
    Tech Power Up - Captain: BUCK NASTY

5. In the event of a close race, a Stanford daily_user_summary.txt file will be the official source for points information.

6. Only team captains are allowed to make changes to rules and will be looking out for any "foul play". We should not do anything that hurts the folding project. This includes but is not limited to, priming WUs and installing clients on machines without proper permission.

7. The official folding names are:
    OCF - T32monkeys
    OCAU - Monkey_Bollocks
    OCN - OCNChimpin
    EVGA - EVGApes
    CPC & bit-tech - CustomBitChimps
    Hardware Canuks - Beavers_Gone_Bananas
    TSC! Russia - TSCh!mp
    Tech Power Up - ChimPowerUp

8. Have fun and keep it positive.

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Just a quick idea to avoid priming units, why not have a new username for each team (ie CustomBitChimpsQb5X7) and do not release it and the passcode until the go live time...

If I remember correctly the unit will finish and upload using whatever details were in place when it started being crunched, rather than when it finishes.

10. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

personally i think the new points system is a little complicated, but as long as the WU's are getting crunched and submitted thats all that really matters.

hopefully i'll be able to get involved this year again but need to sort out a few issues with my OC and GPU's

11. Christopher N. Lew

Hi Rob

Could you confirm that we are using the same passkey as last year - I want to switch some clients over tomorrow morning.

12. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

So soon? The Chimps Challenge isn't starting for another 11 days.

13. vasileioszografos

vasileioszografos What's a Dremel?

Not going to read through this thread,

but if anyone wants to give me the 2-line long version of what this Challenge is all about and how is it different from what I am doing already (i.e. almost 24-hour folding).

Then I'll think about contributing

14. Christopher N. Lew

:blush: Doh. I read the date as 5th May, not 15th. It's been the 5th in the past, thanks for putting me straight. I might actually have another machine repaired by that time.

15. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

I must admit the latest set of rules leave me cold, ii's beginning to turn me off big time.

Coola, can you confirm what the start date and time is (UK time if possible). Are we going to have the same user name and passkey as last year?

16. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Start Time 12noon PCT is 8PM GMT

17. coolamasta

@Christopher - Yeah start time is 15th May 8PM GMT as Taffy says and yes mate we will be using the same passkey :)

@One_Box - I know what you mean mate but its still a challenge and some fun and depending on what happens this time I think will determine the future on Chimp Challenges because a lot of people from a lot of teams aren't all that excited by the new rules this year!

@vasileioszografos - I already updated the first post to the new rules so people didn't have to go through the thread, have a look and it would be great to have you on-board :)

18. coolamasta

For all the existing participants its the same username and passkey as last year :thumb:

For all the new participants the details are below, please Email me for the passkey on - coolamasta [AT] rob2k.co.uk

Username: CustomBitChimps
    Team: 35947
    Passkey: Email me

19. vasileioszografos

vasileioszografos What's a Dremel?

ok folks. I am on board.

A bit unfortunate that it starts this weekend because I need my machine for research work.

So I ll start of slow but from Monday it is going to be a solid week of folding. That's all I can promise.

coolamasta likes this.
  20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

hey coolamasta, could you [or someone else] pm me the passkey [forgotten/lost it]