1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Homebuilt NAS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 24 Apr 2012.

1. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I personally use dropbox for files which I do not change often (Old coursework and all that) So I never have to worry where it is, and it wont excede the space limitations

2. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker Minimodder

It sounds like you do not really need a RAID array. You friend might have misunderstood your situation (or you were unable to communicate the idea to him).

I doubt you have that much data invested in photography to fill more than 2 x 2TB drives. Unless you are a professional photographer by profession and shoot only MF RAW files; in which case, cost of buying into multiple NAS systems should not be an issue.

What you need to do is simply to organize your files into separate drives. As you mentioned, movies can be re-ripped and perhaps downloaded? These are the guzzlers for storage and are not that important.

If you figure that you only need a single 2TB drive for now for your important files (photos), then simply get an external USB 3.0 2TB drive and do a manual backup as and when you copy new photos into the main storage drive. In the event that the main drive goes the way of the woods, you simply plug in your external drive and carry on working from there.

There is also the added benefit of actually being able to work off the external drive at decent speeds when you're away from home.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm liking the idea of the microserver due to it's flexibility there's no doubt, just gives me more options.

And yeah there's no doubt a smaller backup system would save monies, but if I were to start backing stuff up, my slight OCD (very selective :p) would want me to do it all, rather than pick and choose :p
    I could pickup 2 3tb drives and a microserver for under £400, which isn't tooo bad.

Edit:
    I use dropbox a little for work and stuff, nothing else though.

And yeah RAID isn't what I'm after it seems, I only got my camera a couple of weeks ago, currently sitting at around 15gb worth of stuff.
    Currently I have 2 x 2tb drives dedicated to films, both getting near full, another 2tb drive full of TV, with some TV on my final drive, which also contains my photos, downloads, various other bits and pieces.
    I know I can get most of the media back, but the amount of time and effort it would take would be considerable, there is also the chancec (very high in my case) of forgetting some of it were I to rerip stuff etc.

4. GeorgeStorm

So I think I'm going to go for the microserver, so just thought I'd check, people who've bought one, what did you put for company name etc in the cashback form?

And would people recommend the seagate 3tb drives? Seem to be the cheapest by a fair way at the moment.

5. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm filling in the same form now and have the same question. I guess people have just put in their own name and address? Has this been successful? I'm not related to a business so I can't put anything else. It doesn't say in the terms you have to be a business.

6. GeorgeStorm

I didn't fill it out correctly so now I have a cheque for the company I work for :p
    Going to see if I can get the money somehow.

7. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

So you're regretting not putting your actual name down then?

Has anyone successfully claimed the cash back as an individual, not a company?

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Yup just got my check in my own name the other day.

9. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Excellent, thanks for letting me know