1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

i want one !

stunning bit of workmanship going on in here , i wish i could do what your doing .

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Some of us are too cheap for a shot bag. I always used Houston dirt. A nasty mix of clay and sand that's shovel-proof when dry. :D(I swear I just said that here.:worried: -getting senile?)

I can start to see where this project is going, and I like the look. -Very sleek and racy. If you can't afford a supercar, build your own.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Absolutely. :D:dremel::rock:
    But I'd have a banger of an engine & bad car parts inside a nice body. :lol:

4. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

men, it's been a long time since I last visited you here. Just keeps on getting better every update. So love it. If only this is for sale, I would really get one of these! But, I think if it was for sale, It will definitely cost much. :) It's priceless! :) keep it up! I'm seeing the MOTY 2012 hehe

5. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Awesome build! I'm just entering and was directly reading like a 15y.o. kid with a playboy magazine ;) Great work with all the handmade aluminium parts, and the front+chassis is fantastic!

6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

You are just too good dude.

7. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

A little massage goes a long way. It is a wonderful feeling shaping metal and this is very, very good for your first time. Those hinges will be smooth sailing after finishing these parts. :)

8. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thank you. :)

Thanks, I'm lucky in that my workbench is covered with used printing blankets. These are quite thick with plenty of 'give'. Just right for hammering curves.

Thanks guys. :thumb:

These parts are so small and thin that working them with heat would be very difficult. But thanks for the tip. :thumb:

Thanks., and you can do what I'm doing here. If you have a hammer and some files and a jigsaw. ;)

Yeah, I did look at lots of cars and this is an amalgam of some of these stacked up into a PC case. :)

Thank you. I can see from your previous builds why you may like this. I think there is a tiny bit of Lambo in there.;)

Thanks, I'm enjoying watching your build on here as well. :thumb:

Thanks mate. :thumb:

Thanks for the morale boost Craig. :)

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Anything new to report?

10. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I want more to, but sadly you cant rush perfection:sigh:

11. Attila

I'm getting work done. Will update when I have enough material. ;)

12. Frido

Frido Minimodder

.. I'm speechless. Actually not, I have a lot on my mind right now. So much awesomeness, pure poetry in the works, eye for the details and not letting minor flaws stay as flaws but correcting them into perfection.
    And then I am sad. Excited when I first saw there was a worklog by Attila - missed that one and surely it would be great reading and secretly I hoped the project would've been done when I came to the end of all these pages, so I wouldn't be sitting and cursing that I have to wait for another update again and again. OH WHY GOD, WHY??

But - as someone wise once said. All good things come to he who waits patiently. So. I will just wait, but sure as hell NOT patiently! :D

Thank you for letting us into your workshop (and beautiful garden set-up, will you send me a copy? ;) ) and thank you for your uncanny eye for perfection and mocking us others with your superior skills without the use of any heavy power tools.

Enough praising and thank-you's - mod on, goddammit you old dog, no time to waste!!! Think about your starving peasants, needing their daily awesomeness-fix ;)

/Frido

13. Dragulax99

Dragulax99 What's a Dremel?

words cannot describe ....:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

14. Attila

Thanks Frido and Dragulax99. :thumb:

It's been a while but several things haven't quite gone the way I expected. First one was the hinges for the doors. The original idea was to have gull wing style opening side panels. I tried many ideas for hinges and made a few examples but none of these were suitable for various reasons. I also tried commercially available hinges, a while these worked great, they were just too bulky and looked like crap. The main problem was the lack of room in the central part of the top. After a lot of agonizing, this idea was abandoned for conventional fitted side panels.

The second problem was to do with my intention to cover the whole case with a couple of layers of GRP. This was to get a uniform surface and to fill the various voids I couldn't do with aluminum (Because it would look like crap and to keep the weight down). I started on the top and noticed that a corner had lifted. I grabbed the corner and to my horror, the whole lot just peeled off. This is something that I didn't come across while doing my research on GRP. It was only after this incident that I googled the specific terms that I found plenty of articles about what GRP doesn't stick to. It doesn't stick to aluminum! But luckily because the parts are built robustly, just a few patches needed to be made and the seams can be covered in bondo.

The third problem isn't really a problem at all but something I made my mind up about quite a while ago. Namely to substitute my home made water cooling parts for commercially available parts. I've heeded all the advice and I don't want any problems with corrosion and I think mixing up the metals is not a good idea.

I purchased a GPU water block from a German shop but they kept stalling and three months later I finally told them to cancel my order and refund my money. So I ended up buying both blocks locally. Delivery time? Two days in each case. I'll shop locally from now on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The CPU block does not come with a back plate, so I used my own. To make sure nothing shorts here, I glued a 0.5mm layer of plastic followed by a 2mm layer of rubber sheet to the backplate and removed all the solder nibs to boot.

[​IMG]

Fitting the side panels now becomes just a matter of sliding the front onto two pins (made from some M3 screws) and locking the panels in place with some more pins made from M4 screws.
    The rear pins were made in the drill press with a file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The diameter needed to be just under 3mm.

[​IMG]

The front pins (still needs to be filed down and rounded).

[​IMG]

And how the rear pin fits and locks the panel in place (they only need to be finger tight).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So before the various patches were made for the top, all the screws were locked up with loctite.

[​IMG]

This photo shows the crazy twist in this area.

[​IMG]

To make the patch, and to get the right amount of 'twist' and strength, I tried various thicknesses of both alu and plex. The best candidate was 6mm plex. In fact it was perfect. It flexed in just the right way, and when fixed in place was rock solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same for the side panels. These are riveted in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To aid in getting large flat areas, well, flat, a sanding tool was made from some 3mm angle, double sided tape and 60 grit paper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is being used on a side panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A coat of primer shows only a little more work is required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back when I have more to show. ;)

Nutman likes this.
  15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I must admit I'd have liked the rivets to be left exposed. The whole thing feels like the fuselage of a 60's fighter jet. Excellent work though.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

What an awesome start to the weekend!

No hangover and Attila has an update - HAPPY SATURDAY! :D

Lovely work as ever Attila :thumb:

17. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Exactly as [ZiiP] NaloaC said .. awesome to start this weekend with!

No internet connection for over a day now.
    Specially connected my phone to my pc to see this update :thumb:
    Thanks Attila :D

18. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Attila updates motivate you to get you into the shop, and make something!!! :dremel:

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thats the truth for sure!!! Mod on buddy and pl0x m0re updates!!!! :D

20. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

This^^

Fantastic attention to detail just need a handle on that sander :thumb: