1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Title: Sherlock Holmes 2
    Rating: 8
    (Brief) Reasons:

It's actually quite funny in parts, Steven Fry plays himself - and is funny, but Robert Downey Jr's accent is a bit shakey

Lame plot though

2. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

i really want to see sky fighters, but haven't found a version with english subtitles, as it is a french film, care to enlighten me, please...

3. IDS-IPS

IDS-IPS What's a Dremel?

have it. Russian language with English subs.;)

4. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

The Avengers Assemble - 9/10

Absolutely brilliant throughout, but could do with an explanation at parts which require previous viewings of their separate films to understand how some people fit together.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Haywire - 6/10

A slightly odd film I thought, not bad, but there wasn't much character development, it jumped from scene to scene, sometimes without a lot of explanation/reason etc.
    Also, the sound effects were odd, can't put my finger on it, it didn't sound bad, just very different from most films, and the soundtrack was almost comedy like in bits.

Quite liked the cast, in fact it was the cast which made me watch it

Last edited: 5 May 2012
  6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Contagion 6/10

Starts of really good but could have been so much better throughout; acting was great and Winslet is a legend, but all the interlinking narratives don't seem to...um... link particularly well. Better than mediocre, but I much prefer Outbreak.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

saw the avengers 9/10

they got the cgi down nowdays.. the hulk was roid raged as ever- and he's green and out of control, not the weak grey smart version who comes out at night.. ironman was good too- the final battle was like watching a comic book

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Princess Mononoke 9/10

Great animated fantasy adventure, gripping from start to finish. Well worth watching if you're into Anime and haven't seen it before. :)

9. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

The Iron Lady - 4/10. I'm leaving all political and personal opinions aside here. The movie just does not do a good job of telling the story of Thatcher (Which, however you feel about her is certainly a very interesting story). It certainly doesn't pander to her and is by no means a film promoting her ideology so I take some solace in the fact that it at least tries to be about her and not exclusively her politics (Although clearly no story about Thatcher would be complete without a healthy dose of that!).

It could have been a much more interesting film and told in a much more interesting way. Sadly though, it just does not deliver.

Streep plays the part exceptionally well though, and Broadbent is superb as Dennis.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 9/10
    . Superb, just absolutely superb.

21 Jump Street - 7/10
    . Very very funny film, enjoyed it a lot. Lots of intended tropes/clichés around teen movies and cop films (Including a hilarious "Angry Black Captain").

Red Tails 6/10. Film about the Tuskegee Airmen. I don't know much about the actual story, doubtless this was quite a Hollywoodised version but it just didn't do it for me, despite a great cast (Including David Oyelowo and Rupert Penry-Jones of Spooks fame!).

It tells neither the story of the Tuskagee Airmen, nor the story of the individuals particularly well but an interesting watch none the less.

Haywire. 2/10.
    Ok, the sad thing about this film is that it actually has a lot of potential, has three of my favourite actors and is actually a well told and interesting story, but good god the MUSIC, WHY.

Imagine watching Bourne to the sound track of Ocean's 11. Funky, upbeat bass lines are not what is needed. The fight scenes were very well done and thankfully, for the most part musicless.

This Means Was - 5/10.
    Not much to say about this one. One of the films to watch when you don't want to think about much and have a bit of a laugh. Tom Hardy was enjoyable, as I always find him to be. Imagine a Jason Statham who can also act really well!

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who just didn't get the sound track.

I mean there's only one other film where I've thought "My god, what moron did the soundtrack for this?" And at least I understood what they were trying to do with that. This was just stupid.

Same happened to me too, switched off half way through, just did not hold my attention at all.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 May 2012
  10. GeorgeStorm

Just changed my rating down a notch since I realised I was giving it the benefit of the doubt since I liked a couple of the actors :p
    It was slightly surreal, no doubt about it.

And I'm planning on watching Contagion tonight, wasn't expecting anything amazing so I probably won't be too disappointed :p

11. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah great cast. Fassbender is fast become one of my favourites.

Apparently Gina Carano (Mallory) is a Kickboxer/MMA type woman which is a surprise as I thought she did extremely well.

12. GeorgeStorm

Yeah I IMDB'd her since I wanted to know what else she'd been in, apart from a couple of scenes/fights which I thought looked a bit wooden etc, I thought she did well, the film had a relatively 'real' feel to it all, rather than all flashy and hollywood, which is to it's credit I guess.

13. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Spirited Away: 10/10

By far the most amazing anime movie I have ever seen. The idea and the execution of the story was nearly flawless.

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Try howels moving castle then. Also very good. Porko Russo by them is another great one.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Avengers Assemble - 11/10.

Ignoring the obvious, some proper laugh out loud scenes :)

16. October

October Mariachi Style

Funny you should mention Oceans, far as I know half of it is indeed from the Oceans soundtracks. Guess Soderbergh had a few spare usage licenses lying around :lol:

I only got to watch bits of it in work, never got round to giving it a proper go but it looked like it would have been awesome, proper fight scenes with someone who actually knows how to fight are what action movies need, and it doesn't happen nearly enough.

Sadly still have yet to see Avengers...

And finally, a gripe. What's with all the crap text reviews followed by excellent scores? Like; rubbish plot, slightly dodgy cgi, awful soundtrack....8/10. Are you afraid of low scores? And on the flipside, to give a movie 2/10 purely on the soundtrack is a tad harsh, especially when you say everything else about it is grand. Perhaps I'm still bitter about the gradual slide into tripe that is Empire's review system :grr:

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  17. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Well, it's subjective. The sound track completely destroyed the film for me. So whilst I could watch it and say "I like this this and this" if one of the many parts that are put together to make a film are truly terrible to the point of destroying any enjoyment I had in the film then the rating will reflect that.

18. October

October Mariachi Style

I suppose that makes sense...you really must hate the soundtrack!

19. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Haha, every time it came on it just ruined it for me. I'm pretty sure I was shouting at my monitor which is all the weirder being on my own...

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Avenger Assemble plot is pretty dumb to say the least. But plausible within the reality that's been set with previous movies this ties too. Enjoyed it laughed at the funny parts and secretly stared at Cobie Smulders backside (my gf was present) and she loved it too.