1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Can't choose on a router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 27 Apr 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Our old Lynksys SRX router is old and either AT&T is throttling us, or the router is causing me to go from 700 kb/sec download to under 100 at random intervals. If it is AT&T we'll switch to FIOS, but I figure I'd try the router first and even if that's not the problem, it's still a good excuse to get a wireless N router so I can finally set up a decent networked backup from the media computer.

Only problem is: I'm completely lost. I have no idea what would make a decent daily living router. I can choose one on the fly that will be acceptable for one reason or another, but I just don't know for a long term every day unit.

Only thing I know for sure is we need wireless N 300mbps speeds and more than 4 ethernet ports, as we have 5 devices we need plugged into it. Also we need WPA2 as there's a park next door and I don't want to get leeched so easily. All our computers are run off of wi-fi (about 6 at last count, usually with whatever I am building for work downloading the latest Windows updates as well.), so it's pretty important we get something reliable. An easy to use UI would be nice, too. Ability to attach a USB interfaced device would be nice, but not critical. Price is pretty much up in the air. Any help would be appreciated! :thumb:

2. Mac_Trekkie

I don't like to bump, but the router is giving me more and more problems, could I get a little help, please?

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i personally like netgear routers, netgear feature comparison for adsl2+ wireless routers.

they come with 4 ports, you can either add a switch, or get one of the 8 port prosafe routers FVS318N, but you would need a seperate modem for that one i use 2 dm111p v2 as modems on my network.

4. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I'm a fan of netgears too. I own a DGN2200 which has been great so far. Seems stable and good wireless range (n300).

5. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I have been very impressed with the linksys stuff since Cisco brought them out. I feel netgear had failed to stay as current.

I've used Belkin as well and I've never been impressed with their gear so I wouldn't recommend it.

Aside from that you can go up to stuff like edimax but it just depends what you want to spend, consumer level right now I'd go with linksys.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

There was one make that IIRC is the daddy of routers, Billion or something?

Expensive, but the reliability and power makes up for it and your requirements seem pretty serious

7. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Owned about 4 Belkin routers for some reason.. a G+ MIMO one was good until it kept dropping connection, the rest were junk.

Also the majority of router come with 4 ethernet ports, are you after one with more or are you willing to use a switch?

8. Mac_Trekkie

Yeah a switch sounds like the best option at the moment. We currently have a Linksys, and it's served us well, so I might try for another one of those. Thanks for all the replies, everyone.