1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which SSD to get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkwisdom, 8 May 2012.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've finally got enough money soon to purchase an SSD as my drives are old, slow and almost dead.

What do i get? I need something around £100, not too fussed if it's a few pounds over. It needs to be relatively futureproof (such as it'll still be fast with new games and OS etc.) There are so many models boasting high read and write speeds i'm pretty unsure.

2. happysack

happysack goodateverthinger

3. TiPsY

TiPsY What's a Dremel?

You should check corsair force gt. Great r/w speeds (555/515) and even if you fulfill it you will have the same speeds. I'm planning to get 2 of those to raid 0

Sent from my Xperia Arc using Tapatalk 2

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I love the price of the M4 right now, i might get that. I only have a small amount of music and only two or 3 games i play regularly, so mass storage isn't needed.

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Corsair Force 3 is a great drive. I have one and haven't looked back!!

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

120gb force 3 Or 128gb Crucial M4 ? I run an M4 but i know the corsairs looks good on paper.......

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Force 3 has been my main drive since January and it is speedy. I went from a single 1tb Sata 3 HDD and it beats it hands down. To put it simply. When i play BF3 this is what allows me to be already loaded and on screen before almost everyone else. Even with a low end Virgin Media connection.

8. mo2580

mo2580 What's a Dremel?

i want to get a ssd drive as well, and i have been following for a few weeks the prices and specs and at the moment i have short listed the following:

OCZ Agility 3 120GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
    Adata s510 120GB
    Corsair Force 3 120GB
    Mushkin 120GB Chronous

can anyone let me know which one of the above is the better to go for?

9. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Not the muskin, why isnt the crucial M4 on that list ^^

10. mo2580

mo2580 What's a Dremel?

hi modd1uk, why did you say the "not the muskin" whats wrong with them?

the only reason the crucial m4 is not on the list is that the read speeds are around 450mb/s and the write speeds around 175mb/s whereas the others on the list are around 400ms/s write

or am i wrong, is the m4 faster or slower?

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Where you buying the mushkin from...Aria i would expect, aria returns and customer service is shocking.

Crucial on paper aint the fastest drives, but are highly rated are they just " Work" and are excellent drives.

12. mo2580

mo2580 What's a Dremel?

yeah the mushkins are from aria, are you allowed to mention company names on this forum?

yes and looking in the aria forums i have heard of shocking timings on returns on rma with aria but i thought it was maybe only a few cases.

yeah the m4 does look good and alot of people recomend it and i know the high read writes of ssd drives are usually quoting the compressible data so its not real world timings, but the ones on my list have ratings of 80,000 iops and the m4 has 50,000 iops
    do you know if the iops are also relating to compressible data or are they accurate ratings?

13. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

The Vertex 4 with new firmware and 5 years warranty is the current SSD king. It uses the same controller/software as the Crucial M4, but has much better speed, it also comes with a 5yr warranty.

here's my 128gb V4 speeds in AS SSD, Crystal Disk Mark and Atto, disk is half full with 59.2gb free

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The Corsair has done be proud since I bought and will recommend it to anyone who wants an SSD. I plugged it in and havent had any issues with it.

xD

15. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Its a forum, i don't see why we can't mention company names ? After all its my opinion (and many others).

I have personally binned motherboards instead of returning them to aria due to their service, and since then i always buy from Scan.

16. robump

robump Minimodder

Could definitely recommend the M4... mine has never missed a beat.

17. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The V4's definitely getting there, though the new f/w is a RC... ...so you'd be testing it for OCZ to find any remaining bugs for the next couple of weeks...

Yeah, i need to see a bit more data, but it looks as though it will have generally overtaken the 830 now...

...not 100% on the 512GB model, & it's 'generally' as there will be some odd metrics where the 830's likely to be slightly faster still - there's always something of a trade off)

i guess the only downside is the pricing - not so much on the 128GB, but the 256GB is way too high atm in the UK... ...well it's ~£50-60/~25% more than the 830 atm which is a bit too much imho.

The V3 uses sync nand so is faster irl...

...whereas the other 4 specific models use async nand.

[Edit]

Oh, double checking the OP's mobo then, whilst it would only be 3Gb/s, it's actually using a nVidia disk controller...

...along with these being much slower than the intel/amd ones, nVidia didn't sign up to the SATA standard so there 'can' be a higher risk of compatibility issues with SFs...

So, "future proof" only has much of a meaning if you're planning on a major system upgrade any time soon...

...well, if you're not planning on upgrading soon, whilst there would still be a marginal gain from buying a 830/V4/etc, it's *much* lower than you'd find with a 3Gb/s intel one (where it'd be worth it)...

...& so you'd probably be better off saving money & going for a M4.

[Edit 2]

Sorry about this - full of plague atm, so not remembering everything that needs typing in one go...

Anyway, as a quick addendum to the last edit, i forgot to mention that, afaik, nVidia never got around to updating their nForce drivers for their disk controllers to allow for trim...

...you 'should' be able to get around this by using the default Win7 msahci ones, but make sure you don't either install nVidia's ones yourself or let Windows update do so.

if you *have* to have them installed for some reason, this would be good enough reason to go for a V4/830 as they both have far better GC & so will be far more robust.

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  18. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

It is apparently final code, but bean counters have to sign it off as official etc, the final will be a non destructive firmware update if you already have the 1.4RC.

19. mo2580

mo2580 What's a Dremel?

what does "rc" mean?

20. dave_beast

dave_beast Enthusiast

Release Candidate, aka a candidate for release, usually the final code, but not stamped official.