1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming CODPLOPS: A Cynical History Of COD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 May 2012.

1. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Idk - this is different from the standard fanboy drivel in which one game is pitted against another holistically. I play both games (hundreds of hours in each franchise, sad I know) but I'm not going to claim for a second that COD's engine is better than BF3's (3lusive's position), because that would be objectively incorrect (based on features/capabilities), even though I subjectively might appreciate the game as a whole, or privilege one game over another.

His points about directionality being worse in the BF3 engine are misguided, because if you control for player count and vehicles (e.g. compare Squad Rush BF3 to COD), the background noise that 'drowns out' positional information disappears. The four bullet points he lists as 'proof' of COD's superiority are satisfied in a mode such as SQRush or even 16 player TDM.

Please link to your battlelog profile so we can bask in the glory of your extensive video gaming 'experience'. inb4 never played.

2. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

same here! i loved the war game mode online but they haven't carried it on!

i find now that i get bored really easily with COD as it is just the same thing over and over and the maps keep getting smaller and smaller (which begs the question as to why they include sniper rifles in the weapons?). also there's absolutely no tactics involved in that game its just run and gun. Since bf: bad company came out i have always preferred bf to COD, although i still buy them to have a few games every now and again, as there is huge differences between the classes and it makes for a better gaming experience i think.

but like others have said COD still sells so as far as the developers can see its not broken, so why try and fix it

3. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Heres one for sound!

Apart from the voice of Elton as the tower falls the sound travels to you. I was at D Hilltop when I recorded this. At the time I hadn't ever seen it fall. This was implemented in the last patch I believe.

Sound traveling to you.

Same with gunfire, explosions. Not to mention from the COD Video posted earlier in this thread. The bullet fire and explosions all sound like dull thuds compared to any weapon.

Oh and can I point out one major thing.

In MW2 and I believe all the other games the secondary weapon is a shotgun/pistol/whatever.

In Battlefield BC2/BF3 it is always a pistol. No easy kills when you have to change weapon to secondary.

Oh I need to reload, ahh enemy, whip out my shotgun.......

Notice two things, weapon sounds are completely different. And in regards firing them and being able to aim and adjust for recoil. There is little no recoil in MW2!

I'd also like to see this epic Battlefield 3 gazzilion hours of gameplay.

Considering Draca is close to 500 hours of gameplay and I'm about to his 434 hours. Since the week of release.

Last edited: 9 May 2012
  4. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I'v already said why that video cannot be used to fairly judge the sounds, because the sounds are recorded at different volumes. He's recorded MW3 at a much lower volume than BF.

Secondly, one is a (more) arcadey twitch shooter, while the other is a slower-paced tactical simulation affair. They're not radically different games, but they're aimed at different niches within the genre of FPS games.

However, the fact that MW3 and Cod in general have less recoil than BF says nothing about which game is more enjoyable to play in a virtual game world.

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have been adviced by a good friend to simply not bother in trying to justify anything i have said.

Yes one is twitch shooter, the other takes an amount of skill and doesn't rely on killstreaks to get some special perk etc

6. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Not really, because you're playing against people who also have lower recoil weapons. It may be easier to 'pick up and play', but not necessarily to 'master'.

Your video didn't show Cod gameplay, so I'm not sure why you're mentioning how you record. If you want to hear how guns sound in Cod, view the video I linked to a few posts back.

Yes, there's a distinct difference in the sound the weapons make in Cod/BF, but I prefer Cod's for the reasons I'v stated.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

You mean no recoil.

There is a distinct difference in audio one was recorded recently the other is rehash from previous games.

I didn't post a COD Video as it was relevant what i was showing the tower fall video was the travel of sound.

8. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

No, I mean lower recoil than BF. The guns in Cod games do have recoil and in Blops and MW3 they have, in general, more recoil than in MW and MW2.

Again, this doesn't say too much about how easy the games are to play because you're against opponents who also have this advantage. If it were true that low recoil weapons = easy kills, why doesn't everyone get high killstreaks every game? Why do some people shine while others don't, even when they're using low recoil weapons?

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Because some people suck?! Quite frankly this has gone on and on. if it isn't one thing or the other.

And I'm going to leave with some dignity. I have played MW2 and enjoyed the banter with friends, and hated the COD Kiddies singing and swearing. I enjoy Battlefield 3. The team work the banter and the vehicles.

10. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Seriously, How hard can it be to shoot someone in the face in a map the size of a 5 year olds foot.

Don't forget the swearing. BF3 commentary makes me lol - 'I'm getting ****ed in the arse over here'

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Has CoD multiplayer changed since MW2?

That was the last time I played CoD MP and it was generally just a f*ckfest - run, shoot, bunny hop, shoot, die. And repeat.

So has it changed?

David likes this.
  12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Well, to answer this depends on where you are coming from. If your impression of MW2 was that it was a sh1fest, then very little will change your perception if you play Blops or MW3. This is partially because of the way you probably played the game, and secondly because the same essential Cod game is in Blops and MW3 (to an extent).

The same essential game is there, but with different maps/killstreaks/weapons etc, and slight changes in the way the games handle lag compensation and hit detection (and sound). The same game modes are there and the way they play out is fairly similar.

However, MW3 is noticeably different in one huge respect however (bad news though unfortunately). The maps in MW3 are the most restrictive, choke-pointy, close quarters maps compared with any other Cod game. They purposely made it so that it's much more difficult to gain a position on an enemy, and did not put in anywhere near as many headglitching spots (objects in the game which allow you to take cover but still peak your head over).

What does this mean in reality? It means they removed an extremely fun dimension of the game (running from cover to cover) and made it easier for noobs to get cheap kills, because position advantages are much much harder to find. You can't hold down a position as easily as in previous games because there's so many entrances and narrow corridors from which an enemy can come from, and there's miles less cover spots to protect your body and still be able to shoot from. There's also considerably more clutter in the maps which prevent any good lines of sight from occurring.

Couple this with the fact they decreased footstep sounds without Sitrep pro, and we have a really annoying and poorly designed MP game. Honestly, it's broken because of those reasons (and a few others but I won't bore you with the details).

You definitely will not enjoy it more than MW2, which had infinitely better maps.

However, if you really want to enjoy a Cod game, you really should play with friends. It's miles more enjoyable than playing alone, and much easier to win because of communication advantage and so forth.

Secondly, if you haven't already, use a decent headset to pick up enemy sounds. This is just critical for Cod. If you do those things and stick at it, it can be an extremely rewarding and fun game, and not a sh1fest which it might seem to be to an outsider who pops into a freeforall on his own and thinks this is just poop.

Then one day you'll be as good as me and Sandyravage who do things like this ;):

13. nchhabs

Lol'd so hard at this ego-trip.

Those tips are pretty basic; 'play with friends', and 'use sound' are staples across the FPS genre. Still waiting on the Battlelog link to support your claims that you've actually played BF3.

14. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

OK nchhabs, thanks for proving you're a troll. Enjoy my ignore list :).

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So making a 7 kill streak, then calling automated guns which kill another 4 people, then calling a heli which allows you to shoot people from far way, which gives you nuke to win a game... Seriously "hardcore" gaming. Let me just say my top killstreak in BF3 is 26 and i am at bottom of my friends list in this stats.

But for a COD player, 25 kills streak is probably considered "pro" and "hardcore".

16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

It wasn't intended to show the most skillful gameplay ever, just something I found entertaining and thought adidan might like it. Breaks the doom and gloom attitude of some depressing people in this thread.

25 happens to be the nuke in MW2. You can go higher though, 52 being my highest.

17. nchhabs

Hey man, careful, he might brand you a troll and put you on his 'ignore' list for challenging his perspective! :hehe:

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

My God, that just reminds me how long it's been since I played CoD. I forgot about all the killstreak rewards and the like.

Must admit, it's not for me anymore. To be honest, for me, BF3 feels more of a challenge, more involved and well rounded with the ability to tinker with your setup.

I can see why people still get something out of it though.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I'm sitting here laughing at this. Mainly because you have been asked for the link to your Battlelog. If you are so boss at Battlefield 3 prove it for one. Mines in my sig :) And whilst I am not the best I like to think I am pretty good.

I'm not pro don't pretend to be.

And after saying that I don't want to see your Battlelog. Cause I'd most likely lol at it anyway.

20. nchhabs

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 3lusive doesn't play but just claimed he did to try and make his opinion appear valid - he's so ultra-defensive about it (adding me to ignore, rofl) I wouldn't be surprised.

Tags: Add Tags