1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking First build complete. 3570K OC Figures on page 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tigernos, 8 Apr 2012.

1. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I like the fan on that cooler :) You should be able to fit low-profile RAM under there, if it's the stuff with the big heatsinks though you might have to use the other slots.

2. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

Well according to the manual if you use two modules (I am) then its the white DIMM slots anyway. So I'm thinking it will be fine. If I go for more ram in the future I might need low profile modules but is there any advantage to filling all the slots? Would it be fine getting 2x8GB or faster with 4x4GB?

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

This all day long, great suggestion. Way better than running xp

+rep

4. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I asked this a couple weeks ago and I'm told 2x8GB is more efficient than 4x4GB.

Also, check this out: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...tter=consumer_general/2012_cw19/bottomteaser3

Wish I'd got this instead of my 6870 lol

5. Tigernos

In regards to running win8 while I'm devoid of win7. If I build this system, plug the old HDD in with xp, will it run long enough or stable enough for me to get a hold of a copy of the trial and install it? I don't even have the XP disc to do a clean install once the new system is built.

6. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It probally won't boot at all. It will just blue screen.

Download windows 8 with a different pc and burn it to a cd or a USB, then pop it in and instal. Simple :rock:

7. Tigernos

I had thought that might be the case. Oh well. I'll download it and do it that way then :)

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Yeah do. But be it takes some getting used to, especially coming from xp.

9. Tigernos

I have a laptop with windows 7 and a hard drive crammed full of crap so this system is eventually going to replace both my current desktop and my laptop. I'm gonna get a 250GB SSD a few weeks/months down the line (and reinstall windows) heave all my online games on it, then get a 1TB HDD for single player only games (I don't care about load speeds offline) and iTunes and other such items.

So hopefully windows 8 isn't too weird haha

10. Tigernos

Order placed for the rest of the parts in my sig + a new DVD-rom drive and a pci wireless adapter. Expected delivery tomorrow. I'm praying the time is before I have to leave for work!

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

So... did it arrive? You get win 8 installed?

12. Tigernos

It all arrives Monday. ;)

Its estimated hour of arrival was about two hours after I would have gone to work so I changed the date....

Last edited: 12 May 2012
  13. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

And now we play the waiting game...
    I have to say Tigernos, you have excellent taste in components (as your build is uncannily similar to my own planned one ;) )
    Really looking forward to seeing how the i30 fairs with the 3570k :)

14. Tigernos

Well thanks! I'm getting rather impatient but there's nothing I can do about it haha.

Ill be posting up some temps and benches without OC first and perhaps some frame rates on BF3 and EVE Online (only games I have as yet) and then I'll be giving an overclock a crack for both the CPU and the GPU to see what sorts of increases I can get.

What I'll most likely do is find a nice stable overclock with acceptable temperatures on the CPU. I'll aim for 4+GHz but it all depends on temps.

15. Tigernos

you were incorrect. It booted XP and promptly came up with a load of prompts going "oooh look shiny new hardware, wtf is it?" so I stuck the win7 disc in.

So all the new parts are here, they're installed, win7 is installing pics to follow.

Win7 installed. Installing motherboard drivers. (14:15)

Mobo graphics and Pci wireless adapter drivers installed. I'm starting to get excited haha (14:30)

Last edited: 14 May 2012
  16. Tigernos

Ran Prime95 for a while and left it running while I made lunch. Came back to this:

Seems to be holding up alright.

No overclocks or anything else here just stock.

[​IMG]

With a 4 degree difference between cores I doubt I'll need to lap the IHS either. Seems to have gotten a good spread.

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

looking good :)

you forgot a biggie... pics of build!!!

18. Tigernos

I was getting to it I swear.

Now I had been intending to do a lovely unboxing shot of each component and lots of vanity shots and lots of pretty angles and lighting.

However by the time the excitement over the DPD lady delivering my parts was abated I had assembled most of it and barely remembered to take these shots for you all :p

NEW BITS!!!!

[​IMG]

In they go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did say I was suspicious about it fitting, its bloody close!!

[​IMG]

All in and running fine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 12V mobo connector is further up the board than my previous one so unfortunately that cable is too short to go around the outside of the window, hence it laying across the top of the fan.

And now the long wait for installers, downloaders and patchers for the various games. See you on Battlefield 3 sometime tonight!!

[​IMG]

N17 dizzi likes this.
  19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Haha, love the last shot! that how I be sitting now!

+ rep :)

edit * ahem all front IO cables behind motherboard ahem*

20. Tigernos

*ahem* first time build and I never thought to do that but im damned if I'm taking it apart to do it again today *ahem*

I'll devote a weekend (and a couple of quid) to buying extenders and braiding and such things and pretty it up another time. Right now I want to finish updating Battlefield 3 (4.5GB REALLY) and play it, plus I promised benchmarks, OC, and frame rate tests. :thumb: