1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Partly because of being incredibly busy and partly because of there being virtually no mainstream press coverage, the in season test has completely passed me by.

Ferrari today unveiled the first step of essentially redesigning the rear of their car; moving the exhausts inboard and cleaning up the coke bottle significantly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17937295

[​IMG]

2. NigelT

NigelT What's a Dremel?

Not sure how much pace mclaren shall have come quali and race, sounds like they have front grip issues.

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Interesting to see their slightly higher nose setup, hopefully it doesn't turn in to too much of an ironing board.

This weekend's BBC schedule:

Saturday 12 May
    Spanish Grand Prix free practice 3 - 0955-1105, BBC Red Button
    Spanish Grand Prix qualifying - 1210-1415, BBC One & HD

Sunday 13 May
    Spanish Grand Prix live - 1210-1515, BBC One & HD
    Spanish Grand Prix highlights - 1900-2000, BBC Three

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Some interesting bits and pieces on the cars now. Ferrari don't look to have made massive improvements, but as usual testing times mean sweet FA.

Adjustable brake ducts on the Mac look brilliant, I wonder if they've been holding that tech back for a while to get the jump on everyone once they knew they had a shot at the title.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

6. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Very poor decision. Should have maybe stripped him of that time, which would place him sixth. To put him at the very back of the grid is just poor.

7. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I didn't get to watch qualifying at all. Was there any explanation to Red Bull's poor form or why Seb didn't go out for Q3?

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Vettel has said that he was conserving tyres but that he wasn't fast enough to challenge at the front anyway. Personally I think they should change the rules to ensure that everyone in the top 10 starts on the tyres they did their fastest qualifying lap on. If they don't complete a lap in Q3 then they start on the tyres they used in Q2 rather than letting them have a choice of what tyres to fit.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It is a breach of technical regulations, that is why he is at back of grid. It is same as if he would go out with wings, fuel tank or other changes which would go against technical regulations. And if your car doesn't conform to rules, you are disqualified, it is as simple as that.

You lose few places when you breach sporting regulations - that means blocking a competitor, changing engine or gearbox etc.

They had no other option than to disqualify him, even if you dislike that.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Regarding q3 qually I think all drivers that make Q3 should have to make to least 2 runs in Q3 or they are disqualified and sent to the back of the grid.

It's far worse than running low on fuel in my eyes and ruins the spectacle of qually.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Exactly - disappointing for those who like him, but brutally fair as the regulations should be.

So, a Williams on pole! Probably won't last, but what a fantastic drive from Maldonado to get it there. I don't like him, but he's clearly a decent wheel man when the need arises.

12. faugusztin

<sarcasm>I guess he will be in top 5 until last 10 laps, then he will crash out spectacularly :D.</sarcasm>

13. Canon

Canon Reformed

Where's Rubens when you....oh.

Poor decision? It's the rules, that's it. Only decision to be made was wether or not to hold a straight face when telling him

Force India's front end developments look good, although I don't see much improvement in race pace as a result.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Given that they've effectively disqualified him from qualifying I hope they'll let him use new tyres at least.

15. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

COME ON PASTOR!

God I would LOVE to see a Williams win.

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yep, nice to see them doing well again :)

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Granted.

Kimi might have got 2nd if they hadn't left him out for so long before his final stop.

18. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why Hamilton didn't change his gear ratios? He was struggling for top end speed as he was set up for a pole position, not the back.

19. faugusztin

@Pieface: because he can't.

Plus McL doesn't have the gearbox problem, that is the car maximum speed. They had the similar problem for seasons now.

20. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I don't think 9.6.2 is really the issue. The car being in parc ferme was what stopped them being changed.

Still, 24th to 8th isn't a bad result and Hamilton is only 8 points behind with plenty of races to go.