1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ebay Gaming Computers/My Pc/Epic Beards!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 13 May 2012.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

Hello again, if you have seen my first thread you know i want to build a A8 pc with budget of £300 well i have been on the ebay and found some 'gaming' computers although gaming is not what i intend.

so far i have seen, if anyone can help me out and tell me which i should buy or what to build

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUAD-CORE...=017&category=179&cmd=ViewItem#ht_5009wt_1396

70 people have already bought this one so it must be good right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galaxy-3-...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item231632281c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCS-A-BOM...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item4164f4bb23

there are many more but i will only put 3

and can someone please explain to me what is this 14.4ghz 12ghz insane speeds on the ebay computers

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The fact that they are advertising these pc's as, 1 gaming pc's and 2 as having processing power of 14.4ghz tells me they are preaching to the uniformed.

4 cores at 3.6ghz sold as 14.4ghz is mis direction at best, the same goes for the inbuilt gpu being described as gaming??, it's good for an in built gpu but that's as far as it goes.

The same goes for the very low end gpu pc offerings.

Oooooh and the statement Latest super fast ddr3 when it's really generic 1333mhz doesn't shout performance to me.

Seriously....build you own.

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No, it's just means that 70 other people have bought it. It's no measure of quality, just a measure of sales ;)

Frankly, I wouldn't buy any PC from an eBay seller - you're just opening yourself up to a world of hurt.

Do some research and build your own - you'll feel better for it :D

4. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

To be honest, I would be hesitant to buy such a computer off ebay when you could make one yourself, you'd get all the support and help you'd need here. It's a great place if you're just starting out!

Just a few things to point out:
    • The first one has 16GB of RAM (more than most people here, and we're enthusiasts..because that much is unneccesary and most likely just a gimmick taking advantage of low RAM prices to give big numbers.
    • It only has an 80GB hard drive. I know hard drive prices are expensive right now but that's ridiculous, aim for at least 500GB, and for the prices they are at the moment you may as well go straight for a 2TB if I'm honest because they provide best value at the moment.
    • 14.4GHz is just plain wrong. It's not 14.4GHz. It's a 3.6GHz quad core. They're just not the same.
    • EDIT: Also just noticed this doesn't have an OS. +£80

The second one, the Galaxy 3:
    • It has a sensible spec and no outrageous claims.
    • The graphics card is not a gaming card. It's a media center card, so if all you'tre wanting is 1080p and HD YouTube, it'll suffice.
    • Be aware it comes with no operating system, adding around £80 onto the purchase price. This also makes me wonder how thoroughly they're tested before being shipped.

The final one, the TCS A-BOMB:
    • It has an Intel chip, not AMD like you're looking for. The chip is a good one though, even though it's a Pentium it's a Sandy Bridge chip and CustomPC used that chip as a basis for their £300 Skyrim PC recently.
    • Be aware that the Windows 7 install is a trial and only lasts 30 days, again adding on around £80 to the purchase price.

I hope this helps a bit! I would seriously consider building your own, you won't regret it and you'll know exactly what's going into your box! Don't be tempted to skimp on components like the PSU, and you'll get plenty of support here.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

You can even get decent pre-builds from scan, no need to take a risk on ebay. I really wouldn't buy a pc on ebay there are all sorts of problems that could come up.

What do you do if you need to return something? At least with a self build you have the individual part warranties

6. maple

maple Minimodder

that galaxy pc i tried looking online for the same parts and it comes to around the same

the ebay pcs do come with a years warranty though and they do have good feedback

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I was in the same position a few years ago myself but I didn't have the help of BT.

I decided to build my own and it was a success.
    Looking back on the ebay PC's after build my own it made me realise how much people were being ripped off.
    I was only 15 so it's not difficult.

If you don't have the time to build one buy one form the likes of scan.co.uk/aria/novatech. These are the places ebay buyers get the parts anyways.

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Saw 6450, was disgusted, avoid. /thread

apologies for not being helpful, seems like other people have already filled you in, just assume that corporate sellers on ebay are trying to scam you

I mean seriously, does this,
    [​IMG]
    look like it has any chance of playing games properly...

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

The power supply is guaranteed to be generic rubbish and I wouldn't trust that case to keep a calculator cool.

70 people buying it does not suggest to me it might be good. More likely there are 70 people think the price tag for a 14Ghz, 16GB PC is a monster bargain.

I would rather trust a Nigerian telephone bank

10. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Oh god that first ebay link makes my brain hurt its so bad.
    14.4Ghz processing power! 80GB HDD! atx power supplys! DVD rewirter! the latest superfast 1333mhz DDR3!

Everything about that ad screams either a scam, or at best an incompetent seller who has thrown some complete no-brand stuff together and will not take any responsibility if/when it dies. I guarantee that power supply will be scrapping the barrel.

And 80GB HDD's haven't been made for about 5 years (even if its a 2.5" drive its still generations old, will be slow and basically the absolute cheapest drive they could get their hands on). The Graphics are just AMD's IGP which will acceptable for non-gaming rigs or light web browser games, is absolutely no substitute for a discrete card.

Seriously, save your money a bit longer, get a proper system from a respected website or build your own. You'll get leagues better performance and reliability and you'll actually be able to game on it.

Buy this system and you will instantly regret it.

11. maple

maple Minimodder

my old pc had a 256mb GeForce 8400GS and it was enough for me, battlefield 3 can run well lowest settings

12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The awful spelling and grammar makes me think that they are even worse than it would first appear.

13. maple

maple Minimodder

thank you for all the replies i was very close to purchasing one

i dont know but you all seem a bit angry in your replies

14. longweight

Only angry at the rip off merchants on there! People need to do more research before buying things like computers.

15. murraynt

murraynt Modder

People tend to over react :p they just don't like the thought of people getting ripped off.
    If you tell us what sort of a budget you are working with then we suggest a few prebuilt rigs? :)

16. maple

maple Minimodder

surely they cant be that bad though, like the galaxy one

i went on novatech, and every part in the ebay one i added to basket in novatech and it came at £271 only a £4 saving and those guys mustve built loads of pcs so know what theyre doing?

17. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

lol this so much.

It makes me think 'why don't i sell computers on ebay, but use quality stuff and not rip people off'

but then i realise people are too retarded, and the reason they say stuff like '14.4ghz' processing power, is that the mainstream does actually get reeled in by it

A legitimate nice guy builder could never compete with these people

edit: just realised the op was one of these people, I am sure you are not retarded, it was just a moment of rage. luckily you came to us first

edit: i actually do have a computer for sale on ebay, i may as well admit. But it is very well described, has a ton of good quality pictures and yeah.. actually is legitimate. You could probably tell which one it is by the massive informative description. No point linking it here as you guys have all got great comps anyway

18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It's the same for buying anything to be fair though.

19. maple

maple Minimodder

Well i intended a budget of £300 without os and optical drive and accessories like mmouse ekyboard

20. longweight

Then buy it, you are asking people who know what they are talking about and just ignoring the advice you receive.

Just because it costs the same doesn't mean it is going to be a worthy purchase.

Why do you want those parts? Why not ask what you should get for a similar price?