1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics Card Problem :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aidacuk, 11 May 2012.

1. aidacuk

aidacuk What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I built my PC just over a year ago with help from this forum but now I have a problem with my graphics card. I have Windows 7 64bit and use an nVidia GTX460.

A couple of days ago I turned my computer on and the resolution had gone back to the default one. When checking device manager my GPU is listed but it states "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". When trying to use the nVidia control panel it states I don't have an nVidia GPU attached.

I have tried updating the drivers, uninstalling and re-installing the GPU, and system restore but nothing has worked so far.

Is there anything else I can try or has my GPU had it?

Thanks.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Wipe the drivers, install off the disk that came with the GPU, if that fails; there's a couple of things that could have happened.

To explain; last time I had this issue was with my KFA2 550ti's, the first one would refuse to be recognized unless I installed the drivers off the disk first, before updating to latest, and the second would never move off stock drivers, I wound up reflashing that one with the VBIOS from the first, working card.

Now it's a remote chance that reflashing your card may solve the issue, but I think you'll have better luck trying the stock drivers before going to anything so desperate.

Most likely, though, if installing the stock drivers doesn't work; it may have started to die, 43 is simply "Drivers have told PC there is problem, PC has shut it down."

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That's normal.. the graphic card access the web, and discovered that the GTX 600 is out, As you have teh 460, it detected that the 670, mid range model, is out.. so now the card broke on you. :p

Yea, do that Thundra said. Get the latest drivers from Nvidia website, make sure you go under "Advance/Custom", and check the box to do a clean install. Also remove components that you don't use like Nvidia 3D stuff. Restart your system once all is done, and see if your problem is solved.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If it turns out to be broke, get a replacement. Read my signature thread for help.

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I wouldn't really call the 670 a 'Mid Range' model with it's pricing, GoodBytes, but still; Reinstalling the drivers usually fixes that problem. If the card was actually under any proper failure; you'd usually see graphical artifacts or tinted screens or such.

6. dannyj94

dannyj94 Former 3XS System Builder

I don't personally know what's happening with my card currently. On the 196.10 Nvidia drivers for the GTX 460, In game refresh rates I think seem to be jumping and black screening therefor my screen keeps displaying "information out of range"
    Other than that everything else seems fine. But I don't know how to resolve this issue.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The 196.10 driver is very out of date!

Download the most recent 301.24 drivers from Nvidia then uninstall the old and install the new one.

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

It's definitely a mid range card, it's just priced like a top end one :)

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

With performance like a top end card :D

10. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

true at the moment, give it a year though and it'll be mid range performance too :p