1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Yep thats right the switch is called Realforce and the company is Topre, I think anyway. Well good on you longweight look forward to pics galore!

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The switch is Topre actually :p

They own the company Realforce from what I can see

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Oh man! I gave my GF the white Noppoo with browns with an engraved set of white keys and a full Nyan cat set. There is no way I can ask for that back so I will have to pass :(

Thanks for the heads up though!

4. longweight

Thanks! I will of course be posting pictures at the end of the month :D

5. [PUNK] crompers

Yet they call the boards Topre Realforce? Confusing but you are indeed correct sir http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switches

I'm getting so bored waiting for D3 to unlock I'm making wild claims on a whim. Apologies ;)

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Never was into D series. What's the appeal?

7. [PUNK] crompers

Feeling overpowered and running around with mates smashing demons about the place. Can get pretty tough too at higher levels if you dont look after each other. Oh and LOOT

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Where would you guys suggest is the best place to buy keycaps? I've been looking for some Topre keycaps but the only place I can find them is on Elite Keyboards and they want $50 for shipping. I can get ISO modifiers on Verkkokauppa but I want some different coloured letter keys (not really fussed about the other keys so I don't need a full set and it doesn't matter if it's ANSI). There doesn't seem to be many options out there though as they aren't as popular as Cherry switches, but I've seen pictures of Topre keyboards with the keycaps I want so I know they exist.

9. GeorgeStorm

EK is one of the few places I know who sell them, think you can get some on taobao, but not sure. And yeah, they are far more expensive than their cherry counterparts due to the lack of market.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I knew you would

Must suck to live in the UK for mechanical keyboards. Barely and distributors, few if any group buys, no custom makes (that I know of)..... so everything as to be shipped in, if feel sorry for you guys

'merica fuk yea

11. longweight

It still is!

Good old USA, shipping isn't bad at all but people do seem to be very put off by it.

12. [PUNK] crompers

Easier and more reliable than the far east but still expensive and a reasonable wait. Its the lesser of two evils.

13. GeorgeStorm

Right, final calls for anyone wanting a set (or 2/3/4 ;) ) of the portal keycaps posted a couple of pages ago, PM me if interested, will go through through the list tomorrow and PM everyone who has ordered to confirm it and then get the order in.

14. longweight

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I looked at shipping a small 6-7" touch screen from the UK to the US. It was like $60 USD in shipping for a $50 screen

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

My CM Storm with MX Black's arrived just now. I honestly thought the blacks would be a lot harder to press than they actually are.

Almost tempted to try it for the day and see how I get on at work though I'm used to using an MS Comfort Curve 2000 in the office and probably shouldn't spend time trying to get used to a new keyboard...

I must say though the whole thing feels solid and I now understand why people are obsessed with mechanicals. You actually feel like the money you spent bought you something, unlike buying a rubber dome "gaming" keyboard where they just feel cheap and tacky.

Last edited: 15 May 2012
  17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Indeed, and that Storm w/ Blacks is fantastic value for money.

£68 from Scan is pretty awesome compared to other options in the UK.

Another gem is the qpad mk-50 w/ reds for the same price. Lesser quality but red switches :D

Also might I add that anyone trying blacks as a first mechanical will never ever find them fatiguing or stiff at all. Compared to rubber domes blacks are heaven, and stupidly easy to learn not to bottom out with. Its only people who have a lot of experienced with blues, browns, reds and whatnot that may find blacks fatiguing, and tbh this does result in putting a lot of first time-buyers off MX Black switches.

Nothing wrong with that, but I think it's best to start your mechanical journey off with blacks and enjoy them, and many people will be content and stop there. Or they can then move on to other awesomeness - rather than just be put off MX black for ever without really knowing :)

Last edited: 15 May 2012
  18. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, scan is slowly but surely (and other etailers) are stocking more and more mechanicals which is nice to see. And at that price, if you don't mind the weight of the black switches, then it's a brilliant buy :)

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The thing is Scan etc are only stocking mechanicals that are in UK layout :(

20. longweight

We all know what is wrong with ISO layout....