1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I guess they're not bad caps if you're prepared to spend the time doing tedious dremeling, sanding and cleaning. :p

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

They may well fit, just got to wait and see!

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

What are you fitting them on, because if they're fine with certain boards, then we have a bargain 'cap set!

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

My Noppoo Choc Mini has been dispatched! I might do an unboxing when it arrives, will have to excuse the poor HD footage (camera phone) and even worse commentary (I'm a boring *******).

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

What model did you finally go for and from where :)

Good luck!

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Lol "Ducky sucky unless you lucky"

Gotta love ripster

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I notice he hasn't invaded BT though

yet

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Went for blue switches as after minutes spent on YouTube I love the sound of the clickety! Reminds me of the old Acorn computers I used back in year 3 at school.

9. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

It doesn't matter what board you fit them on, it's the switches they don't really fit, which is also why you have to drill out the pins (or whatever they are called)

10. longweight

Going to attempt it on my Filco TKL board...

11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Snap mate! I received mine today as well and I'm loving it! Oddly enough, I also used to use a comfort curve until the KVM switch kept throwing a wobbly every time I changed systems :eyebrow:

Obligatory cheesecake: [​IMG]

I've already swapped out the Escape and Spacebar with a couple I bought from WASD, they now do a full 88 key set for ISO layouts so I'm thinking about picking up some of those but I do like the combination I already have, I may go for all modifiers in blue and leave WASD in red. Now if only they did a Ninja set, I rather like still being able to see the characters on the front edge of the keys but not feeling them when typing. The red keys only feel different to me as the print is nowhere near as defined as the others. They almost feel like they've been etched rather than pad printed. I've had no issues with the space bar feeling stiffer but as the first thing I did was to rip the sucker off I may, possibly, have loosened up the stabiliser a touch that way.

The black switches aren't as responsive as the browns for typing but my home keyboard is more for gaming than work and I actually missed having volume controls on the keyboard, this one works very nicely on that score and there's no way I'm giving up more desk space than a tenkeyless needs any more and if it's not mech it's dreck :)

My Filco Ninja TKL moves to the office as its permanent home from tomorrow, I'm fed up of putting up with the dome tat they palm off as being "fit for purpose" in my firm and have the go ahead to use my own. If anyone touches it they'll find out that "build quality" directly equates to "bludgeoning capability" and hopefully get the message without too much bloodshed :D

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

WASD Keyboards has announced that he's having problems setting up his PBT key cap machine and isn't sure on when it will be fixed :(

However, he's still on track with his TKL/87 key keyboard and in 2 months he should have more colors for his ABS key caps. So some good and some bad news

13. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

How is the wsad stuff? was thinking about getting a creeper face esc key done from there, expensive for sure, but its all good fun :)

::edit:: I've also come to the conclusion (and I'm sure this is documented somewhere) that the Filco Majestitouch Ninja TKL and the CM are pretty much the same board.
    Same layout, including the internal box packaging and layout. Just that the CM is covered in lame ass branding, which I'm considering using car vinyl wrap to cover the chassis anyway.

Now I have to find something with browns for the GF, though she said she wants one with a numpad, I think I can convert her to TKL ;)

Last edited: 15 May 2012
  14. longweight

Really good quality for the price :)

15. longweight

Any visuals of the TKL board he has in mind?

16. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

I really like my Logitech Solar keyboard and random Prodige keyboard, mostly for their flat profile and relatively cheap price..

But I've been thinking about investing in gold, so does anyone know is there someone who could make golden caps maybe (for mechanical keyboard ofc'), and I mean pure gold, not just coating? And has anyone tried to make them yet? I kinda want to be really unique or at least first! :eyebrow:

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Naah you only need to have one key cap in gold, the rest should be in every other color..

Yeah I just don't get it with all these custom key caps and rainbow color schemes. But I suppose to each their own. :lol:

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Metal keycaps are very rare, only ones I actually know of are some aluminium ones feng is selling, and the soon to be vortex ones.

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

zinc ones too

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

They are electroplated, not pure zinc.