1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling i5 2500K OC with Titan Fenrir?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fingers66, 17 May 2012.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I am building an i5 2500K rig that I will then overclock to 4.5GHz. I don't really need to go higher than that for gaming.

I have a spare Titan Fenrir and would like to here from others who are cooling an overclocked i5 2500K on air to know if the Titan will be sufficient and what kind of temps can I expect. I have a load of different fans that I can attach to the cooler.

The case will likely to be a CoolerMaster HAF 922 but I am also considering my Fractal R2 with GT's in the front.

Can anyone share their Fenrir experiences with this CPU overclocked?

2. Deders

Deders Modder

From what I can gather the fenrir's were great for Nehalem and Lynnfield chips. 2500's are even more energy efficient and produce less heat so unless there is something different with the fitting it should help you yield even better results.

Fingers66 likes this.
  3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Wish I could get my 2500K overclock remotely stable then I could give an idea of temps as I have a fenrir in a 690II.

At 4.3ghz it was just touching just above 60c with our heating on in the house.

Fingers66 likes this.
  4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Was that with the stock Fenrir fan?

I have a few 1450 & 1850 GT's, as well as a selection of other fans as well.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes the stock fan, at the time I had 2 x 120mm antec fans in the roof of the 690II and 1 x 120mm stock fan in the front and rear.

I now have 3 x 140mm fans and a 120mm in the side panel but I haven't tried overclocking gi since these change.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The Fenrir is better than a Tranquillio right? Because my old Tranquillio(stock fan) handled a 1.45V core quite well, topping out at 70C.

Fingers66 likes this.
  7. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Not sure if it helps but on air I can keep my 2500k at ~60 on all cores with my be quiet and 3 case fans with the house heating on.

Fingers66 likes this.
  8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The Fenrir is slightly better than the Tranquilo at a higher temperature, the Tranquilo is designed for quietness. That said, the Tranquilo works extremely well with a more powerful (& noisier) fan on it. I have both a Fenrir and a Tranquilo so I could experiment with both. Given teh amount of metal involved, my money would be on the Fenrir winning if the same fan is used.

Thanks for that, your OC is roughly where I am aiming and your case are very similar to one of my options (an R2).

Cheers for all the responses, I am going to try the Fenrir first and see how I go. Rep given to all those that responded.

9. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

Your temperatures will be alright but check beforehand that the ferir doesn't clash with your motherboard heatsinks around the socket. Here at bit-tech they had a bit of trouble with asus mobos (p8p67).