1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. NigelT

NigelT What's a Dremel?

Yeah it's insured, but because of personal injury claim not being settled & insurance company dragging their heals I'll be paying out of my own pocket initially. Plus all the components are in perfect working order, I just need to source a frameset.

2. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Ok, my work has just signed up for a cycle to work scheme so I can get a nice bike for basically nothing. I know nothing about bikes, haven't even used for several years but this is a good opportunity to get into it, get some exercise etc.

So, because of the specific deal that it is I have an absolute maximum budget of £1000 and it makes no financial difference to me whether it's less so it makes sense to spend as close to a grand as possible (I may also get 10% corporate discount as well, not sure if it applies to the scheme, will have to check).

Requirements

• I will need a bike, helmet, lights, lock? (do I need anything else?) and everything combined has to come within budget
    • Everything has to come from Halfords as they're running the scheme (or at least sponsoring it)
    • I live in a city so I think a road bike probably makes the most sense for me

I think that's all, apologies if this sort of thing has been asked before. Looking for general advice or specific things. Cheers :thumb:

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'd throw a basic tool kit (or a saddle bag, tube and pump) in just in case - and if your very much a begginer its worth jabbing a poundland special innertube with a sharp something and have a go at fixing it. When its peeing with rain on your way to work isn't the time to be doing a first time hand on test at puncher repair :p

I would be very tempted to go better spec on a hardtail (no rear suspention) bike as your likely to get better gear for the money.

4. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

For your needs, I'd suggest going for a hybrid bike. It'll be less agressive, and much more comfortable than a full on road bike, but still extremely fast and agile.

How about this Boardman hybrid. At under 22lb's it's reasonably light. It also allows for £250 worth of kit, which is a healthy amount to get quality locks etc.

As far as accessories go, I'd suggest the following:
    - Quality helmet. I've always brought Giro, but it's up to you really. Spend £60 or above and you can be safe in the knowledge that it won't fail.
    - Quality locks. Get a good D-lock + a wire lock to prevent the theft of your wheels etc. You're probably looking at another ~ £80 here minimum.
    - Lights. Have a look yourself and make a choice. Cateye is a brand I've used quite a bit.
    - Pumps. I'd get two pumps if possible. A track pump is always nice to have at home to pump a tube from flat, whilst a small transportable one is good to have with you at all times. At least one should have a pressure gauge so you can keep the tires nice a firm.
    - Tool kit. If the budget allows get yourself some kind of tool kit, even if it's just a multitool to carry with you so you can tighten bolts etc.
    - Saddle bag as dynamis siggested, to carry a spare tire, multitool, puncture repair kit.

That's about it, and you should be able to afford at least most of that within your £1000 budget.

If you'd prefer a mountain bike, such as a hardtail dynamis_dk suggested, there are plenty of options. I don't really see the need for suspension in the city, but sometimes people prefer the riding position etc. Make sure the suspension can be locked out, and buy a set of slick tires to go with it (makes the world of difference).

Last edited: 20 May 2012
  5. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Well I actually didn't get the Loupe, I've decided to stick with the saddle that comes with the Secteur for now: the Riva model. Sorry if my poor English didn't make that clear, I was just considering upgrading.

- Secteur Elite : 1.000 Euro
    - Roubaix base : 1.500 Euro
    normal list price is 1.800 Euro, but they offer a discount if the model below (the Secteur) is out of stock, which it is in a different store.

Difference : Seat, Seat post, Brakes, Frame, Wheels

I choose the Secteur as this is my first bike in a long time and I have no idea how long I will keep this up this time. The 1k euro is a nice round mark to stick with. If I start to upgrade parts to Roubaix items, then from a price point of view, it would have been a stupid not getting a complete roubaix from the start.

I've already started regretting that I didn't get the Roubaix, but if I did, then I would probably be regretting not getting the Roubaix Elite...

So I decided to keep the bike as stock as I possibly can. If I keep the riding up for 2 years and still like the geometry/feel of the bike, then I'll probably splash out a on a new shiny top level roubaix. But for now, I'd rather stick with the stock Secteur Elite as long as I can.

Thanks for the tip on the gloves, I found my old gloves but the material hasn't took the time in the basement so well. So yeah, I will definatly pick up a set of gloves!

cheers

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I wasn't telling you to go out and get it, just giving you my thoughts on saddles in general :p the Riva isn't a terrible seat in and of itself, just has too much padding for my taste.

7. dullonien

As far as saddles go, I'm a massive Charge Spoon fan myself. They're great for road and xc imo. I've got a Flite Ti on my mountain bike, and whilst it's light as a feather and a bit of a classic, I noticed the difference when I got my charge spoon for my singlespeed. It felt like sitting on a cloud in comparison to the Flite, yet is still slim and extremely light. For ~ £30 for the Cro-mo version, you can't really go wrong, and there's also the nice real leather Ti options for more dosh.

I'd love to try a Brooks mind, but the prices are a little eye watering.

8. dullonien

Double post.

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

This!

10. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

11. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

12. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

13. Somer_Himpson

14. Somer_Himpson

15. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Thanks dynamis_dk and dullonien! Given me some stuff to look for. Cheers!

16. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

17. Somer_Himpson

Yes, as soon as I get the seat shim sorted out this week!

18. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Excellent! I don't see the point of carpet queens so always happy to see one getting used. A friend of mine has a collection of old school Mongoose BMX and every one of them has seen action on the track.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Damnit.. Borrowed my house mate's Ironhorse Sunday for a quick DH-blast and now I don't really feel like riding my own rubbish down the same hill anymore :( So... Smooth...

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Until I get around to doing some proper pictures of the latest addition to my stable of two-wheeled stallions, have a rather funny snap from today. Can you guess what the theme is for tomorrows group ride?

[​IMG]
    (and yes, I know that the vest is well too big for me, but it is bloody hard finding suits and tweed in my size)