1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Redefined R3 RoG Edition

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Telefonskaft, 20 May 2012.

1. Telefonskaft

Telefonskaft What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    It all started when I wanted to buy an Ivy Bridge CPU and motherboard, as I previously had an Asus Formula IV and I just bought an Asus GeForce GTX 680, however it was the reference card, so I can thank NVIDIA for the quality. But my formula IV held a good standard so I was thinking about buying one of the same brand, and since I like the color scheme on the ROG boards. To begin with, so I thought buying a mATX chassis since I like the size of them, but I was really psyched to do a case mod. I have tried to mod a couple of times before but not quite as serious, but now I've begun to put together a concept I really believe in. It may sound a little weird to return to the previous or even before last year's "style" in at least Sweden modding stage, now that everything is so stylish. Do not misunderstand me, I really like the cases and mods that follow this trend, but I want to do something that speaks to me and hopefully a couple more people. I want to make a case mod that goes in the style that initially made ​​me interested in casemods, the black aluminum and the PCB and the beautiful red sleeved cables that break up the black and make the whole case more appealing. After all, it was in my Define R3 with "titanium" front that I first met ROGs colors, so it feels really good to redefine the R3:s style to a gamer machine whose style can not be explained as something other than just a "Republic of Gamers' computer.

My goal with this mod is to just redefine the case, hence the name nest fine. It should be changed from being just that classy, quiet case with functional air flow, to become everything I want it to be.

To do list:
    [X] Remove HDD cage
    [/] CAD more concept shots
    [ ] Send RoG logotype to production (Template made of metal)
    [ ] Get a job estimate for the GPU cover/grill
    [ ] Saw an window slot in the side plate
    [ ] Buy accessories for the window
    [ ] Mill a RoG logo in the front (seen in the concept)
    [ ] Buy red LEDs
    [ ] Buy new, more efficient or more quiet fans
    [ ] Repaint the parts of the case that got scratches

Hardware I own:
    [X] Intel i7 3770K
    [X] Asus Maximus Gene V
    [X] Asus GeForce GTX 680
    [X] Corsair Vengeance 8GB (Röda)
    [X] Corsair Force F60
    [X] Corsair TX 750W V2
    [X] Western Digital Green 1TB

Hardware that eventually will be bought:
    [ ] Another Asus GTX 680
    [ ] 16GB More RAM (2x8GB)
    [ ] New SSD 240GB

I've played around in SolidWorks™ this weekend and got some concept to show you!

Front Logo
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front with LEDs
    [​IMG]

Progress
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Winkston

Winkston What's a Dremel?

Real photos please :D

3. Telefonskaft

Haha! I'll take that as an compliment! I'm not even done with all the concepts yet ;)

4. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Or he was pointing towards the forum rules, dont make threads in project logs before you got actual progress, concept drawings and sketchups is not progress and thus this belongs in the modding forum and not here.

A mod might come along and move it, good luck anyway :thumb:

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Until there's hardware, it's a planning thread. :)

6. Telefonskaft

Thank you for moving it :)

7. Telefonskaft

Hey again!

I've been working on the looks of the GPU grill, I'm currently working with two different concepts, It's the bigger one of the two concepts I'm going to show you first, it's bottom/back mounted with screws.
    Concept #2 is mounted with the thumb screws that I attached the graphic card with.

Concept #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Concept #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse my horrible Photoshop skills.

That's it for the renders, but I've got some news for the practical part of the mod! I've just ordered a laser-cut template for the front logotype!

Well I hope you enjoyed this mini update!

Last edited: 21 May 2012
  8. Telefonskaft

Hey again!

I just got my template for the front logo, here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

links are broken

10. Telefonskaft

Sorry, but I've checked from other computers and they work on everyone of them.

11. Telefonskaft

Hi, I am sorry that you have not received any updates.

But now I have received the paracord from knivbutik.se, there's not much to say but here are some pictures.

The red color looks great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture # 2 is the one that shows the paracords true colors , but I think everything still looks good.

This is all for me this time, should probably sleeve this weekend. With luck you'll recieve a new concept render this week is I get the chance between work and homework.

12. Telefonskaft

Hello again!

Work and weekend activities have prevented me from working on the mod, and our HTPC burned so has had little to do with it.

But I have at least had some time to test the sleeve but only with the lighter, the result was that the paracord and heatshrink got burned. So to not burn my sleeve / heatshrink I bought a heat gun and I will soon order a SLEEVING "tool kit" from Inet. Unfortunately, Inet don't have it in stock so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to t obtain such a kit (shops in europe works unless freight is really expensive).

I found also found a plastics manufacturer not far from here so I'm making "the grill" to the graphics card in black or gray acrylic.

Note that I did not sit long with the sleeve, I only wanted to try the paracord to get a feel for the material and see what color scheme I should have.
    And as usual, then I apologize for the pictures and the dusty graphics card.

Sleevetest #1

[​IMG]

Sleevetest #2

[​IMG]

I also got a great idea when I saw that my GTX 680 has three of what I think is M2 holes in the back of the video card, I thought about using these to attach the cable clamps so I get a neater routing of the two 6 pin connectors .

Here are pictures of what it looks like with cable clamps, these are only big enough for 1 6 pin cable so I will need to get me some new ones.

[​IMG]

The brilliant cable routing solution.

[​IMG]

I think I will sleeve the the pattern on picture # 1, but It's always fun to hear others' opinions so what do you think?

Well that's all for now, stay tuned for the next update!

13. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I like where you are going with this. :thumb: I prefer the first option for the sleeving and the clips are a nice addition!