1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the h*ll is going on with Bit-Tech???

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 16 Mar 2012.

1. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I don't get the ads on my desktop or my netbook (done nothing to either to block ads) but I've started getting it on my Samsung GSII. Can anyone tell me what I can do to block it from appearing on my phone?

Apophis54 likes this.
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Carrie, if you're rooted then download this. If you're not rooted, root ;)

Apophis54 and Carrie like this.
  3. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Thanks Shirty, that's great :)

4. Shirty

Pleasure. Your Sammy is a bit more potent than my Dell Streak so you might not notice such a difference, but it's really sped up my browsing. Plus it minimises mobile data use, a no-brainer for me.

5. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Bet yours doesn't have power management problems since installing ICS though :(

6. Shirty

Nope :D

I'll be stuck on a rock solid but fairly dull install of FroYo until I upgrade. I'm holding off upating my other half's S2 to ICS for the time being as well...

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea the ICS update seems to have caused the charging error problem on a lot of the S2's yet it runs smooth as silk on my HTC oneX

Apophis54 likes this.
  8. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Can't wait for ICS on my Thrive.........

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I would be generally interested to know how many people have clicked through on the No7 skincare advert.

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Oh my science! I am using a relatives laptop and I didn't realise how bad the adverts are on here now! I run full ad and flash block on my work PC, home PC and macbook, I like bit but not enough to put up with this crap.

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

How can you tell if your phones rooted, and is it possible to root a HTC one S or X?

I'm running chrome on my one s but adblock isn't supported on chrome on Android

12. Shirty

It won't be rooted unless you (or a previous owner) has already done it.

Guide for the X.
    Guide for the S.

I was lucky, there is a windows app called Dell Streak Unlocker that did the root for me. No techy stuff involved, just plug in, run et voilà. But the Dell Streak community was always strong because Dell themselves distanced themselves from the product as quickly as possible!

13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I may look into this.

I actually downloaded an app yesterday called Touchscreen Tune, which will in theory allow me to reduce the sensitivity of the One S (because currently it's too sensitive), but I couldn't run it because it said 'Error I/O Root exception' something.

I have a feeling it needs routing to run that app then? Because doing so it will let me bypass the manufacturers permissions (or something along those lines)?

14. Shirty

I am a complete noob when it comes to this sort of thing, but rooting basically gives you (and apps) access to a deeper level of the OS. On app I couldn't live without is called AdjBrightness, which basically allows me to dim my screen really low. Perfect for late night browsing without lighting up the room and generating complaints from the person sleeping next to you!

Once rooted you also need to install SuperUser to gain root access.

I'll quit hijacking now, feel free to invite me to a new thread in Hardware and I'll more than happily share my (very) limited knowledge in there...

15. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Apophis54 likes this.
  16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

You have to root it yourself, Of course if you ever need to return the phone under warranty you would have to return it back to its original state or bye bye warranty.

There's a couple of add blocker app's for free that dont require the phone to be rooted anyway so that's no reason to root your phone.

17. Shirty

Teel is quite right of course, the only advantage of adblockers with root access is that they get access to the hosts file, which theoretically means in-app ads should be blockable as well.

18. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ok, does any of you know of the best app which can let me reduce the phone's touch sensitivity? Touchscreen Tune won't work on my one S because of a 'root' error.

19. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Just had the the big annoying pop-up ad at the bottom of the page. It does look really spammy - not sure why the ad team ever thought it'd be a good idea? All it does is make me strongly consider installing an ad blocker, which would lose bit-tech money...

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To bring this back on topic...

I've always kinda supported bit-tech/Dennis' stance on advertising in the past, as I understand that's how this place makes money and can afford to carry on. I don't like adverts, but I've always whitelisted bit-tech or left the ad-blockers off. My opinion has rather changed recently, and I realise that, being owned by Dennis, bit-tech does not ultimately control the ad policy.

Therefore: F*** Dennis Publishing, f*** 'em right in the ear.

First we get skimlinks. Then we have the appearance of slightly more annoying and less-relevant advertising. After that we get full screen video adverts which appear immediately and without even moving the cursor over something. Then it's "Sponsored by AOL" ads masquerading as content on the front page, followed by that Shaun the Sheep "Advertising Feature" B-S (which was also masquerading as real content). Now I'm getting a banner ad obscuring the bottom of the page every f***ing time I click a link in the forums.

The ad-blocker is firmly back on and will be staying there unless there's some pretty drastic change in the ad policy around here. I don't really give a toss any more about potential lost revenue. I never click on ads anyway, no matter what they are; if I'm looking for/interested in something, I'll google it.

I know it's not exactly the end of the world and I know this probably comes across as moaning/ranting, but it really is winding me up now. Besides, this is the feedback section...

3lusive likes this.