1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah but remember how horrible it was.. every install caused massive issues- there was a running joke for awhile on the guy who wrote it :D

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's fine now. The problem is the profile management and many other things are half baked or broken. But the core is working. Best way to switch profiles is to double click on a save profile, to have it load.

3. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

I'm NOT asking for innovation to end all I am asking for is a choice.

Some people like metro. Some people hate metro. Giving people a choice of start menu vs metro is hardly likely to hamper innovation or cost MS badly.

My advice to MS is to include metro - include a short video explaining how it works and why MS feels it's better, but also include the option for it's millions of customers to use the default interface they have come to know and like.

If you give customers a choice and they will thank you. If you force them to use something they don't like and they will look for other options.

TL;DR - There will be no harm in giving customers a choice between metro and "start button" in windows 8

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And how long do MS need to keep giving them this choice? Win 9? Win 10? Win 11? etc.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Even Paul Thurrott is finally getting to the logical conclusion about Windows 8:

6. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

If I'm honest, I'm only upgrading one of my machines to Windows 8. That machine will be my laptop, which has a touch screen, and would benefit from the change (touch being FAR better in Windows 8 than 7, but that's it besides a couple of minor things), and would allow me to develop for the new platform with a reasonable assumption that it'd work with everything else (as it's a 1.2GHz Pentium U5400 - a machine which has a single hyperthreaded core).

My current desktop is (for now) sticking with Windows 7, and has a 300GB LMDE install that I'll eventually be migrating all of my general use to in the near future, except for games. The thought of never having to re-install my OS ever again is a very happy sight, and one that I think is possible with LMDE as a rolling distro. The compatibility of those two operating systems with my hardware is impeccable, everything works perfectly. The CP of Windows 8 doesn't recognise my DVD drive on the SATA board, at all. I still use DVD's for ISO and img iles, because they are easier to use, and more machines boot from them. I'll test compatibility with Windows 8 RC, but I'm not holding hope.

/mytwocents

7. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Only as far as Windows 8 should be required IMHO.

It'll break new users in gently to the new system. Hopefully by Windows 9, they'll have refined Metro based on user feedback, to the point where it's more accessible to all and thus more accepted. Similar to how Win95/98 still had Program Manager availible (although hidden in the depths of the Windows folder)

Having said that, I reckon somewhere in the big wide world, there are still some people that prefer the 3.1 interface. Some people just can't abide change.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

9. GoodBytes

@impar. as a software dev. I can assure you that it won't happen.
    1- Companies wants to support the widest market. Win8 only app is no go (too small, even if it has Win7 numbers)
    and
    2- Companies wants you to purchase their software
    These are starting point.

All you should expect are your tablet software to be accessible on your laptop and desktop, if you wish. Companies like Adobe will most likely do a Metro app, but it won't be anything close to PhotoShop desktop app. For one, there isn't any room for menus and items. It will be like using PhotoShop or wtv software on a 640x480 resolution, as the buttons would be so big for your fingers, and the cheaper made touch screens that wont' track well.

In different topic, Windows 8, IE 10 Metro app, WILL indeed support Flash (NOT OFFICIAL).
    However, it will be limited to some sites (I expect Hulu, Youtube, etc..)
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/windows-8-will-integrate-include-adobe-flash/
    Again, nothing is official, it might be experimenting, not true at all, or full Flash, anywhere.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Once you get one or two Metro apps into your usually program mix, the transitions between Desktop and Metro will just increase.
    Solution is just to stay in one UI.
    Article says "whitelist" sites. Microsoft will now decide which Flash sites work on IE-Metro? :eyebrow:

11. GoodBytes

Nha.

If true, yes.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

unless/until someone releases a tool to let you alter/add sites to the whitelist

any news on what's new/changed in the upcoming release preview? or is it just more [polished] apps...

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

14. GoodBytes

Oh no.. what would we ever do!!!!!! [/sarcasm]

#1- Visual Studio 2010 Express is there, and even if it's out of Microsoft website, you can always find a mirror somewhere else.
    #2- You have many IDE and compiler environments for C/C++ that are just as good. And of course you have other languages.
    #3- It's free for students, which is at the time and age where startup's well start up... so no difference.

All Microsoft is doing, is prevent established companies to use the free version of Visual Studio, and pay for it instead. The reason why it USED to be free, is to promote the software/compiler. And the reason why Visual studio for Metro app is now free, is to encourage businesses that can't or don't want or don't need to upgrade Visual Studio to version 11, they can have a look and develop apps for Metro. This is all to boost Metro apps. I am sure that is Metro app where not there, the same decision would have been taken today (of course, without the free Visual Studio for making Metro app editions). Oh and Engineers, Computer science, Programming educational programs in University/Colleges are usually registered to MSDNAA , so they have all Microsoft (except Office) for free, including Visual Studio Ultimate edition, which cost.. for an individual, a few kidneys.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep. And not forget that Metro apps are distributed through the Store.

16. GoodBytes

Desktop app are also distributed on the store.

17. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Can't agree more with Goodbytes on this. I honestly can't see why anyone is upset by this. You can still develop applications in VS2010 or just use something that isn't VS2011 (why would you do that!) to develop them...

MS clearly want to push Metro apps and that's a good thing. Why are people upset by this?

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Meant:
    "And not forget that Metro apps are *only* distributed through the Store. "
    Even free apps developers must pay the annual registration fee.
    VS2010 option will become outdated.

19. GoodBytes

Microsoft mentioned all this when Windows 8 was presented for the first time. Everyone was fine with that. Free app would, in any case, have advertisement, or donations to support it. It's 49$ for an individual, 99$ for a corporation. Microsoft take 30% for every sale, but unlike Apple, if you sale for more than $25,000 USD, it goes down to 20%, so your making more money.

People/Companies still use Visual Studio 2005 and even older.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!