1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 480 Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 15 Apr 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Correct! It's on a defunct EVGA GTX 480 that I salvaged a proper single slot PCI bracket from for my ASUS GTX 480.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This arrived in the post this morning :D
    [​IMG]

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh it's a beaut! Any real piccies about?

Are we going SLI? Wahey! Let the fun times commence!

4. The_Crapman

No not yet. Will take a few when i've got back home.

Not going SLI this time, as my PSU will only just handle 1. Clocked 600W on it running prime and furmark so only 20 left! :worried:

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That sort of stress would never happen in real world applications you know!

Also congratulations on the Gigabyte GTX 480, now beat my clocks! :D

6. The_Crapman

Oh yeh it's an extreme test for extreme circumstances which would never occur in real life, but I did see ove 500W on bf3. And it's an older model that's not officially 80% certified, not an enermax that's rated at 620W but will pull a gagillion watts without breaking a sweat. ;)

I'll be giving it a try before i sell my EVGA 480, but it doesn't fit in with my plans for this system and i can't really afford not to sell the other one.

And you better be ready Mr B! I'm come here to bury your clock, not to praise them!:hehe:

7. The_Crapman

So! Pics of the new card, it's so pretty :D

The PCB is slightly longer than the stock card. Only just squeezed in past my hard drive cage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the pretty phase control LEDs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my verdict on the card? It's crap! :eeek: Seriously, I don't know what card they were using in all the reviews which said it didn't get much over 80 when stressed, but it wasn't this one! It shot up past 90C in the blink of an eye, even with all my fans at 100%!

There's a couple of reports on the Gigabyte forums about this as well:
    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5042.0.html
    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6181.0.html

Admittedly one of the fans isn't spinning as fast as it should, but considering the other 2 are at full pelt and the review test were done on the stock fan profile, it just stinks of BS! Makes me appriciate just how good the gelid cooler is.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Perhaps some TLC will see it put right?

If it makes you feel any better, my PhysX cards acrylic top is developing cracks that are growing bigger! :D

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@ The_Crapman, I have the SE version of the 480 which is essentially exactly the same as the card you have - same PCB and same cooler. It takes my card ages to get to 80C with the fans at 100% and it generally sits at 70C in most cases; it is by far the best GPU cooler I've ever used because not only is it cool...it's also very quiet compared to others.

Either you have a dud, or the voltage/clocks are set unrealistically high. What are they?

Plus you can't accurately compare two GPU coolers unless you are using the same graphics card/same thermal paste and swapping the coolers for tests. I don't doubt that the Gelid is an amazing cooler, but the Gigabyte SE cooler is very capable too. :thumb:

10. The_Crapman

820/1641/3800@1.068v
    Can you snd me a link to somewhere that has the latest bios?

11. The_Crapman

No, that makes me a sad panda :waah:

EDIT: Priced up my loop costs. The Rads, the res, the pumps, and the fans for £400. and i get paid friday......... :worried:

Last edited: 23 May 2012
  12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Little bit of a shame. I took it apart again and used Silicone Grease on the screw threads just in case it seeps water. The cracking has stopped so hopefully that's the end of it. I guess time has taken its toll and it didn't like being stripped for a clean! Never mind, It's just for shits and giggles anyway! :D

13. facwit

facwit What's a Dremel?

Hi guys. Quite a simple question for you all (I hope). I'm I better off gettting another 480 to stick in SLI or is it worth forking out for a 670 or 680?

I have a Frac R3 and whilst the noise of 1 480 has never been problem I'm slightly concerned what the heat and noise of 2 in Sli would be.

Thanks.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

GTX 670 simply annihilates 1920 by 1080 resolutions! It's a great card but I'd recommend waiting for prices to dip a little. Only paid £265 for mine so hey ho! :thumb:

15. Parge

Yes, they might be rather warm! What's the Wattage of your PSU and your fan setup like?

16. facwit

facwit What's a Dremel?

XFX 850W PSU

CPU Cooler - Corsair A70

Case fans - Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM (Rear Exhaust) and Akasa Apache (Front Intake).

17. Parge

Oh well with the above your PSU is easily powerful enough and those fans are fantastic, I think you'd be ok.

There is one on the marketplace for £110 delivered, which would be a bargain. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on and get a 670.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

No idea mate I've never changed GPU BIOS before. :)

My card is at 700/1400/3700 and can get pretty warm but I've got the fans turned right down and I'm running two monitors (30" and 20")

Currently my GPU is 63C after running screensaver, but my fans are at 485 and it's fudging roasting inside - 25 DEGREES, INNIT! :D

19. The_Crapman

Well i know that the stock clocks on the SOC are pretty decent for a 480, but all the reviews claimed the cooler could handle it and keep it at around 80 while stressed. Need to try a number of things to see if i can reduce the temps, but i may have to wait till i get it under water before a start smashing bloggins' clocks ;)

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

What would be a more intresting buy? 2x 480's in SLI or a 670? I really like the looks of the SLI but I would have to buy an extra PSU to support the heavy power draw