1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals So I'm after a mouse...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fordy, 24 May 2012.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yup. But like I mentioned, the wheel doesn't auto-switch from click to free spin. They remove the motor inside the mouse that does this, and replaced with a mechanical button. If you look at your MX Revolution, the center button/search (silver one), is now the switch wheel mechanical button. I guess Logitech wanted to reduce the cost of the mouse to maximize profit, or keep the prices at "affordable" levels. Considering that when I got my MX Rev, it was MSRP at 160$... and now we are at 100$, it might explain a lot.

2. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Looks like the G500 has that too.
    Freewheel scroll wheel was a genius idea. Only problem is, once you've had one you can't go back.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

This, a million times.

4. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I have a MX Revolution at work and G500 at home, the free wheel scrolling is such a great idea I don't understand why Logitech haven't continued with it.

5. davefelcher

I prefer the sound of the mechanical button. Don't really like the clicky until spun hard approach.
    I have mine set so clicking the scroll wheel changes between free and clicky scroll. This means I don't have a middle button for games though.

6. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

Any mouse by Roccat....ive been playing competitive gaming for around 10 years now and have used all ranges of mice from steelseries, microsoft, logitech, Razer etc etc etc and nothing compares to the build quality and the usability of the Roccat mice. I wont go into all the technical jargon but I highly recommend Roccat.

7. GoodBytes

The MX Rev mouse is fully programmable. You can replicate exactly, the way the Performance MX and other Logitech mouses with the scroll wheel works. You can make the center wheel as a center wheel, or switch, or wtv you want, same for any button, and turn on or off, or change the sensitivity of the auto-switch.

8. davefelcher

Haven't continued with it? The website says the G500 has a dual-mode scroll wheel. It sounds the same from the description: "You get precise click-to-click scrolling that’s perfect for weapon selection when you’re gaming. Hyper-fast scrolling lets you fly through long Web pages."

9. davefelcher

I know, I was talking about my MX Rev.

10. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

It's better that you can change it with a button click. You have more control when you set it to free then, than if Logitech had set an arbitrary point at which the wheel becomes 'free'.

11. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

+1 for the Deathadder.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Anything Razer... there fantastic imo!

13. GoodBytes

But you can change the value, or have the auto switch disabled.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

That's true it is quite adjustable. I prefer to leave it so it activates when I spin it X hard. But I have notices that adobe products do odd things with it if you don't make software profile for them specific. Otherwise I like having middle click for some things that want it to exist. The search button is fairly useless in default function in my opinion, better to assign that as click / spin switch than lose middle click.

15. davefelcher

Great idea. Didn't think about doing that. I don't actually use Set Point but you've just given me a reason to install it.

16. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

You can set it work as a normal middle button too, which for some reason is disabled out of the box and as Goodbytes says you can set the speed it unlocks at so it's not hyper sensitive.

Does the new version the Performance MX have the same freewheel unlock function of the original or is it now unlocked with a physical button?

17. GoodBytes

Performance MX vs MX revolution
    > physical button for the freewheel
    > 3 day battery (uses 1x rechargeable AA battery instead of a high capacity Lithium-ion battery)
    > can be recharged while in used (turns mouse into a wired one)
    > No side wheel/switch button thingy (that thing which acts as 3 buttons on the MX rev, is replaced by 2 buttons). I use the side wheel for Windows 7 Zoom (Win+[+], Win+[-] and Win+Esc (quit Zoom mode))
    > Not as comfortable as the MX Rev
    > Recharging is slower

18. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Before jumping on a K60, please bear in mind that it isn't fully mechanical and there are much better options out there so a little research (or a post in the mechanical keyboards forum :)) may go a long way!

As for buying a new mouse, everyone can just list their favorites but that won't get you anywhere. You need one that is the same shape as you are used to - that will always give the best results no matter what. That's the reason pros like old stuff such as the WMO and Intellimouse: familiarity! And of course the features you need :)

19. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Keyboard - that's nothing like my priority when it comes to choosing a keyboard! Lol, you should see what I'm currently using, it's hilarious (and utter shite!). A Genius Luxemate 810 if you can be bothered.

Mouse-wise, that's why I mentioned I use an MX Rev currently and that I really like the ergonomics of it. It feels like it was designed around my hand. I've applied the registry edit suggested earlier (sorry can't see your name below as it was on first page - thanks again though!) and I'll see how that goes for now. Otherwise I will, as you say, be looking for something very similar in size/shape. I don't like the look of the G500 personally, it's a shame the G700 is wireless (though yes I do realise that you can plug it in).

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

20. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I meant there are better CHEAPER options depending on what you are looking for, that may make the K60 somewhat redundant unless you just love it specifically! I don't know maybe the little wrist rest is a godsend for you :)

Basically I like people to get the most out of their money, just tryna help!

Tags: