1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the h*ll is going on with Bit-Tech???

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 16 Mar 2012.

1. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

wow just what I ALWAYS wanted

THANK YOU, i can now find any husqvarna sit on lawn mower I want :waah:

:wallbash::wallbash:

I used, I still love bit tech. But this advert ******** is becoming seriously overwhelming. Those pop up scroll over lit up words apprear to create the most rage. At least that one made me smile. I `ll see if I can get the flash demo you get of the guy driving about with the BANGING tunes playing.

LOL ok this isnt it but you get the impression, surfing bittech for all my latest early hungover sunday morning PC news and I get this *sh it popping up in a flash window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKLDlKofAi0

surely thats got to be the best/ worst one yet?

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

So I'm going to browse Bit Tech for a little while with adblock and flashblock disabled.
    So far, I haven't had any of these horribly annoying flash adverts, but what shocked me straight away was how much longer the site takes to load with the extra flash banners.
    Face it Bit Tech, you have a disgusting lack of content now, you're just becoming another ad riddled site to make a quick buck. I'm only here for the forum community, and even then, I won't be giving you anything back in ads, not now.

Update 1: Just got a taste of those horrible scroll over ads in the news and blogs. Not as bad as skimlinks on the forums, but still horribly intrusive.

Update 2: Videos ALREADY PLAYING on the homepage... About a god damn automower!?

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It really does slow my PC down if I have them both disabled.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

Also, could you all please tell me when you get the pop up video ads and banner at the bottom? Because I've not had either yet, and I'm currently trying Bit Tech with ad and flashblock disabled.

Edit: The lack of responses from the staff has utterly shocked me. It really has. :(

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Part of the problem is that there aren't and staff any more really...

6. longweight

I wish that bit was more like geek hack, funded by donations and profit from group buys.

I just mean the forum, the non-existent hardware reviews and 2 days late news articles aren't of any interest to me anymore. I would imagine that most people also go elsewhere for this now.

7. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

I get the impression or at least im hoping that the staff agreee with us about these shitty changes, I mean james shot the crow didnt he, hence the lack of replies. I`m presuming their hands are tied?
    There`ll be someone somewhere who has never even visited here making decisions about whats going on here. Bet hes waking up somewhere taking some coke of a hookers titties right now and driving off into the sunset in his porrsche.

8. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

The emphasis on revenue generation, understandable really since this is a business not a charity, is driving it, and that will also drive the format, content and clampdown of the forum. So what do you expect the staff to say? They could tell you this but what's the point since you already know it. They're not going to spell out Dennis's business strategy or justify it.

9. longweight

Totally agree, I just wish that the forum wasn't being used to prop up the revenue generated by the main site.

It won't change, people will drift away and something will fill the void, just a matter of finding it!

10. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

You're right in that people will drift away, existing people that is. But since their presence on facebook and twitter they either are or hope to bring new people in that way, in addition to the usual searches.

The real question, I guess, is how much store do they put in the forum side of it? Only time will tell, since they won't ;)

11. longweight

I don't think Dennis really care, I would love to know what percentage of site visits come from forum users? We may only be 10% and therefore not valued very highly.

I would be sad to see many people here leave add I think that we have a good thing going! I've learnt a lot from the people on here (Yes even you Carrie :) ) and I would hate to lose it.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

That's true, in the forums aswell. If you look at the people online, you'll see that almost all of the time, only 10-20% of current users are actually registered.

13. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

10% of what? Dennis Publishing Group has over 30 brands, in 9 divisions of the company, and their turnover (advertising, subscriptions etc. before costs of production, operation etc.) was £72.7 million in 2010 (their last published accounts). So I'd surmise that the users of this forum make up a miniscule interest for them.

14. KidMod-Southpaw

*Only ~10-20% of Bit Tech forum users are registered out of the whole amount of people currently online on the forums.

15. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

But what real relevance to Dennis does that statistic have? It's the people who register and contribute to the forum who should have more significance than the guests. If there are no contributors you will have no guest visitors to the forum. But all are subject to the same ad flashes.

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Well we could all sit around complaining in a thread on the forum that Dennis wont take any notice of.
    Or we could email Dennis and complain to the people responsible, Imagine if Dennis suddenly got a couple of hundred emails complaining about the adverts they would find that hard to ignore

17. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I think you'll find that a waste of time, based on Dennis's founder's website quote:

FELIX DENNIS, Chairman
    "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, overhead walks on two legs." - Felix Dennis

But this seems a place to start:

PETE WOOTTON, Managing Director - Dennis Interactive
    Pete joined Dennis Publishing in May 1995 and worked in sales roles on a number of magazines before becoming the Sales Manager of Dennis Interactive in June 1999. In January 2002 he became the publisher of Computer Buyer and our IT websites and was also responsible for launching Custom PC the following year. Following a couple of years as Operations Director he became the divisional MD of Dennis Interactive in October 2006 and a member of the Executive Board.

peter_wootton@dennis.co.uk

18. longweight

It's not complaining just acknowledgement of change, I'm not going to get really involved in saving bit as there are other places that offer me what is here.

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

So hands up all those that have sent a email then? I have Have YOU?

20. longweight

No and I won't be.