1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Did I get screwed with my purchase of an overclocked i7-3770k with its high temps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newocer, 25 May 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

feathers ranting on someone else's inexperience shock horror..

Cake time!! :D

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

No. Changed mind. I realised it's Sunday and my one day off from ranting.

Dizzi needs a punch to right testicle.

Who can I annoy today?

Is anyone here using phase change or LN2 on these ivy's bridges?

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I lost the right one years ago in a contest. Left one is up for grabs

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

No one uses phase changers or LN2 anymore, it's outdated and pointless.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I use ln2 on the left one, all that extra strain..

OT: hope OP comes back, I guess he posted and the thread took time to get approved

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Anyone want to fit a 900 watt TEC to their CPU?

Perfect for ivy bridge users. Recommend a waterblock and pretty big radiator to cool it.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Something like scan's jellyfish hybrid cooling would be pretty good. Or a phase change coller hooked up to an air conditioning unit.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

9. newocer

newocer What's a Dremel?

hey guys! I am back. you all seem very cool here, so i probably will stay here for quite a while. i also wasn't sure if this thread was ever going to get posted or not. during this time, I posted this same thread @ Overclock.net. You can see what they said as well.

I'm kind of torn because I feel screwed with my purchase of the computer. It will cost me money to ship it back and I have to prove there is a hardware issue with the system. It's frustrating because these were the default cooling systems with this system and I feel that 90 degrees is still too hot even if it may seem normal as compared to others... it's still got to be hurting the processor life.

Anyway, do you guys know how I can go about lowering the vcore? And what is PLL voltage?

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Use offset overclocking.

I get the feeling that you fired up the Vcore faaaaar too much. Feels like you pushed it past 1.36v, which would make it toasty. As for the H80, that also might affect it, but let's start with the Vcore first. Lower it. And if the system isn't stable, mess with the BLK just a tiny bit. But just make sure your Vcore isn't too high or you'll get temps like this.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

How many cases you heard of CPU death because of the heat ? Zero, none, nada. CPU simply slows down if you hit the throttle temperature. The only way to kill or shorten CPU life is pushing too much voltage through it, or physically destroy it.

At boot, press Del to enter UEFI setup screen (page 3-1, section 3.2 in manual). Press F7, that will bring you to advanced mode. Click on AI Tweaker. Go down to CPU Voltage item (page 3-7, 3-17) and use either manual mode where you can set a fixed voltage, or offset mode where you can set a offset value to the default voltage for that clock. Check out which one is used in your case and slowly lower the value - either by entering smaller value in case of manual mode, or by putting in the negative sign and entering some value (-0.1 means the default voltage, for example 1.304V-0.1V=1.204V - you can check out your current load voltage using CPU-Z and loading the CPU by Prime95 or some other test program). CPU PLL Voltage is on same screen (page 3-18).

12. newocer

newocer What's a Dremel?

Hmm... no, it seems to be set at 1.275 volts.

I went into advanced mode and this is what I see...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apparently, they also slightly overclocked my ram. Is this a good overclock of the processor (now that you guys see the settings in the bios)?

13. rollo

rollo Modder

I guess this is a scan pre built with 3 year warranty which means you have nothing to worry about as if it breaks you send it back

14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Faugusztin seems to have you covered on how to lower the vcore. PLL basically controls the sync between the bclk and the cpu and the error margin that is allowed. It's a shed load more complicated than that but that's the basic overview :)

15. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

no think its usa rig. but still.. if it comes with warranty your ok

16. xPinky

xPinky What's a Dremel?

I have a the same set up as you, albeit in a different case. I did a quick IBT there to see what my temps are like.

Test Results

My hottest core hit 87C, although I only used the very high stress rather than maximum. If 92C is your maximum it seems okay, just a hot chip. If its climbing into the high 90's and closer to the TDP then I would say something is up. Your voltage is a little higher than mine aswell so you could probably get that a little lower.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

90c isnt high for ivy bridge

if your overclocking to that level with that voltage id say its normal

if it comes with a 3-5 year warranty ( most pre builds do )

then its not your problem to concern yourself with if it crashes or shuts down you can ring them up and complain to them and they are legally required to replace it whilst its still under warranty

18. newocer

newocer What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 29 May 2012
  19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You know my old i7 920 is over clocked and I have temperatures almost exactly like yours on Intel burn test. The overclock seems to be stable. The way I see it is that while Intel burn test is a great stability tester, ultimately your computer will never run itself as hard as it does when Intel burn test is running. My day to day temps whilst gaming and web browsing stay under 70 so I'm happy with that. If I get the occasional blue screen it doesn't phase me I don't do anything critical on my comp and I'm confident enough to mess with my BIOS to tweak the overclock if needs be.

For now I would just enjoy your computer If stability issues sneak in or you have temp issues on day to day running you have your supplier to point the finger at and offer support, along with numerous internet communities. I have real temp to load automatically on logging into my computer this lets me keep an eye on my temperatures in the task bar should anything start going funny.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You have a 920 idling in the mid to high 60s? [edit] noticed you said 'gaming', I only saw web browsing[/edit]

What speed are you running it at? At 4.6Ghz, mine idles mid 40s - admittedly with watercooling, but jeezus h effing crumble yours is running bloody hot!