1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink BBQ thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by digitaldunc, 28 May 2012.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

One of my friends has a massive gas BBQ and it got mould all over the grill.

2. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

That'll happen to any grill that isn't cleaned after use and the lid left down

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Last BBQ I went to I got food poisoning still made a change from the normal stuff :worried:

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

If you're using a gas barbecue you may as well be using your normal cooker but with the kitchen door open. In other words, you're doing it wrong!:nono:

My dad does great tandoori chicken on the BBQ. Mmmmmm.
    I also love pork in Stubbs BBQ sauce.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think it's down to how good a gas BBQ you get - my Dad has a pair of Weber's (one charcoal, one gas) and both produce magnificently tasty food - the gas one is nearly (and I mean very nearly) as good as the charcoal one. Then again they're not for the faint hearted or the tight budget.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Fair point. I have a feeling it'll be hard to convince the gas lovers to go charcoal though. I'm still getting a charcoal BBQ this summer. I want some chargrilled burgers and chicken! :D

You're all welcome any time :thumb: Just give me plenty of warning so I have time to marinade the chicken etc ;)

7. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I actually sabotaged mine tonight -- removed the gas burner totally and converted it to a charcoal :D

Had difficulty getting it started, even with huge chunks of firelighters, so turned the hairdryer on it -- worked a treat, unsure how safe it is though :p

I may try and refine my technique tomorrow with steaks -- I can cook them beautifully in a skillet, but bbq may be more challenging.

Smoke box, that's interesting -- hadn't heard of that. May try it at some point -- I bet burning certain wood chips adds beautiful flavour.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've got my trusty old grill ready for today's festivities, about to go start putting meat on it. Burgers and steaks today. Wish I could find bison and ostrich, bison is amazing and I want to try ostrich.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Coming from the southern hemisphere, a BBQ is in the blood. I prefer charcoal or wood (the right kind, not knotty treated pine - poison) but I have an old worn out gas one that is on it's last legs. My kids aren't patient enough to wait through the prep that a charcoal BBQ requires.

Try Paua (abalone on this side of the world, minced with some onion) fritters over a slow heat, yum yum.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

10. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Smoker box, you can use on charcoal or gas barbeques:

[​IMG]

And examples of wood chips or pellets (their descriptions, not mine!):

Apple - Strong - Sweet, fruity smoke. Strongest of the fruit woods
    Black Walnut - Very Strong - Intense smoke, slightly bitter like walnuts
    Cherry - Mild - Sweet fruity smoke that gives a rosy tint to light meats
    Hickory - Strong - Bacon-flavour, most commonly used and recognized smoke
    Jack Daniel's - Strong - Sweet smoke with aromatic tang, good on red meats
    Mesquite - Strong - Spicy, very distinctive smoke of Southwest cooking
    Mulberry - Mild - Sweet, tangy, blackberry smoke flavour
    Oak - Mild - Heavy smoke with no after-taste, gives foods a wonderful smoked color
    Orange - Mild - Tangy citrus smoke - great with seafood, gives foods golden color
    Pecan - Mild - Similar to hickory but milder and sweeter with a nut after-taste
    Savory Herb - Strong - Zesty and robust flavors of Italian herbs
    Sassafras - Mild - Musky, sweet smoke with a root beer after-taste
    Sugar Maple - Mild - Very mild, a sweet light smoke

Then there's herbs ... lol

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

+1 to this - fantastic book with everything you could ever need to know - from grilling methods to excellent recipes to simple things like how long to grill mushrooms or corn on the cob for.

Got to be a charcoal grill for me - preferably with lashings of cold beer to keep things (me) well fuelled!

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I have to agree with this one. Gas BBQ's are convenient, but it's not really BBQ. To be pedantic most of what we do in the UK is grill, real BBQ is low and slow smoking which makes a world of difference.

For anyone with a charcoal BBQ, buy a chimney starter, they are inexpensive and will have you ready to cook in 20 minutes.

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Agreed - even for grilling, some people claim that a gas BBQ with a smoker is good enough but I disagree - nothing like waking up the next morning and your clothes smelling of the BBQ smoke :D Really need to get round to doing a 'proper' BBQ (indirect grilling)

I replaced mine at the weekend as the previous one's gone rusty - I might still give it another whirl at some point...

Long live the good weather!

Last edited: 29 May 2012
  14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

+1

Bison is truly incredible meat - so unbelievably hard to find over here but hugely recommended from this red meat lover. The juiciest, most flavoursome meat I've ever had the pleasure of munching - and the steaks are frigging huge!

Please excuse me now as I wipe the large puddle of drool off my desk :lol:

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Nealieboyee just got repped!
    Braai is a staple in this part of the world.
    That being said, "gas or charcoal" would get you crucified. It's open flame, burning down to coals.
    It's culturally a theme here to stand around a fire, drink good lager and talk about sports, then fry some meat somewhere along the line. Salads, bread, anything non-meat is left to the females. Real men eat red meat straight from the coals, without knife/fork/plate.
    Also: "meat" is red meat... everything else, Borewors (literally: Farmer Saussage... nothing like German Bratwurst... not even almost) included counts as veg.

Stereotypes aside: Africa in general and Namibia in particular have one huge advantage: GREAT meat, GREAT wood (NOTHING beats camel thorn... trust me), and Great lager (that's Namibia more than Africa... South African beers are beyond rubbish).
    We braai a LOT here... as in "if-you're-not-braaiing-every-second-week-you're-probably-a-vegetarian-and-not-to-be-trusted-anyway".

Shirty likes this.
  16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I bring beer and Texan steaks?!?!
    Oh, and some Stroh rum

Wood or coal brickettes, gas is for the kitchen.
    Boerewors counts as veg?:jawdrop: Well I have been meaning to eat more fruit and veg....:naughty:

Hehe. Start the braai up around midday, and carry on till early hours of the morning drinking and eating with little or no ill effects the next day.. gotta love it
    Have to agree on the beers, though I do love my Hunter's ciders

Lol yeah:D

BentAnat likes this.
  17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Hell yes, Boerewors is veg... It's not a steak, is it?

Also veg:
    Ribs (technically: finger food...)
    Skilpadtjies (lit.: Tortoises - Lamb liver in a net of Lamb Fat. Don't hate it until you tried it - it's DIVINE).
    Poffadder (puffadder - like the snake. Very similat or Skilpadtjies, but more in a saussage format, and not as yumm).
    Chicken
    Salad
    Veg
    Bread
    Anything that's not a steak

Proper drinks for a braai:
    Brandy (with coke and ice... otherwise you're probably a tosser)
    Beer
    Ciders
    Wine/champagne is for women. Just like Anything that's veg.
    Other things permissable - Jagermeister, Stroh Rum (but only if there's noone there in closed shoes... we don't drink Stroh in decent company)

While Fish is also "braaiable", it's not for a braai... whoever brings fish to a braai probably pees sitting down and is probably from south of the Orange River (i.e. South African) - that's at least what the guys here in Namibia say... :p

18. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

We've had three so far.

I always do it, mainly as I'm a pyromaniac, :D :D, but also because I'm apparently damn good, :D :D

Charcoal everytime for us, for the last few years, we've been using the instant light bags (containing charcoal not briquettes which seem rubbish). Works really well and easier to start than firelighters.

20. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

QUOTE=BentAnat;3068507]While Fish is also "braaiable", it's not for a braai... whoever brings fish to a braai probably pees sitting down and is probably from south of the Orange River (i.e. South African) - that's at least what the guys here in Namibia say... :p[/QUOTE]

Whoever does that is a retard... at best you smoke fish

Same here, I always end up taking over the BBQ/braai.
    heck, my part time job through high school was running a Boerewors roll stand