1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink BBQ thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by digitaldunc, 28 May 2012.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I have to get one of those! Also, I have access to copious amounts of apple wood... This could be good :thumb:

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have one of these

[​IMG]

and some Hickory pellets that I bought from www.planetbarbecue.co.uk

Good shop with a good range of stuff

3. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Those ones are for charcoal/wood bbqs. For gas (although it'll work for charcoal too) you need the metal one, which means Matt needs one of each :D (all the woods I listed are available from planetbarbeque)

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

If you're in London, come on over! Nobody will make you drink off the bar I swear.

5. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

ha, indeed I am (Hayes)

So long as there's no sambucca... :worried:

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This braai business sounds like my ideal BBQ. The American barbeque is a tradition I just can't enjoy. It's too full of ribs, burgers and bratwurst. Those are great and all, but what about the steak!? "But that takes a fork and knife and is hard to eat on a paper plate". Wait... what? :eyebrow: It should be perfectly possible to eat a good steak by grabbing it and biting a chunk off.

And then the business about gas versus charcoal. I'd prefer charcoal in this situation but it's still just the easier version of the original wood fire. I once went to a barbeque where the hosts were cooking over a charcoal grill while also having a fire going in the burn pit at the same time! The idea of cooking over didn't even cross their minds, such a shame.

There are some local things I can appreciate, though. Smoked salmon is a tasty treat and clams make a nice side food.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

What does the metal container do? I understand the need for a smoker box in a gas BBQ but why would you need it for a conventional one?

8. GeorgeK

You can fill it with flavoured wood chips to add different flavours to the food

9. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

All this talk of food is making me really hungry. Really lus for one of those steaks on a wood fire. Just so goood.

I agree with everything being said here! I had an AMAZING steak a couple of weeks ago from the countryside. It was huge and tasted so good. Much better than the ones you find in a butcher in the city. Also had the best boerewors there, although it is rivaled with the wors from the Drakensburg.
    You guys should come to SA for some awesome braais. (BBQ just does not sound right:worried:) And we can and do it all year round.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

:duh: Yeah I know that lol. :D I'm asking what is the advantage over soaking the wood chips in water for an hour and putting them straight on the coals?

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I did Asparagus with parma ham on the BBQ the other day and it was ace. A man can't eat vegatables unless they are wrapped in MEAT! especially at a BBQ.

For this you'll need the desired number of Asparagus stalks. You need to snap off the hard ends of the stalks (about an inch). A pack of Parma ham and slowly peel a slice and cut them in half length ways leaving you with 2 strips about an inch wide. Wrap the ham around the middle and lightly squeeze it tight in your hand. A light sprinkle (Not a Jamie Oliver light sprinkle that baths things) of olive oil and sprinkle salt and loads of black pepper. Place them straight onto the BBQ and you'll see the ham start to cook and the Asparagus will start to darken. Remove and enjoy ;)

You need:-

Fresh Asparagus
    Packet of Parma Ham
    Olive Oil
    Rock Salt
    Black Pepper

Peace out y'all!

12. GeorgeK

Apologies - far too early in the morning to be thinking... Never thought of / tried that - maybe it's to avoid the hassle of having to do that?...

13. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

thank you! if your steak is done right you don't even need a knife!

i cant wait for my aunt to butcher another of her cows so we can have some amazing bbqs at my house.

dammit! now I'm hungry.

sidenote... :jawdrop: <---my face when i see someone drenching a good steak in ketchup.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Another note:
    My Brother sent me a pic from a menu in Germany not too long ago: "For the very hungry: 300g steak with chips" (rough translation).

He apparently looked at his mates and said "IN my home, that would be an insult to most women... that's a well-sized-but-nothing-special ladies steak."
    they apparently reacted a bit weird...

That being said, it's perfectly normal around here to braai a steak that's close-on a Kilo... there's guys that eat that by themselves easily enough...

15. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Wait, what? You can get steaks in LESS than 1kg sizes?! :eeek: Did not know that...

16. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Aren't those pork chops?

On that note, I plan on going to my local Saffa shop (local being over an hour away by bus/train) to pick up some beers/ciders and some decent steaks (perhaps a Texan or 2).

Over this summer I plan on making my own/buy large drum braai place, the bbq stands you get here are way too small.

17. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I find that the drum braai places with some modifications work the best. Usually something to change the height of the grid, but you could always make the wood/coal pile bigger :D

18. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I had a charcoal bbq the other night, had a leg of lamb that i had marinated in a chilli sauce for about four hours, i then cooked for an hour in the oven and about an hour and a half/twoish on the bbq. I re-basted the chilli marinade after its oven visit, with some jacket potatoes and stalks of asparagus also with a chilli sauce on.

Nothing short of amazing.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

There's a restaurant we go to when we're on the coast that flame grill their steaks. I know it's technically not barbecue because they do it indoors, but it's nothing short of amazing nevertheless. The quality of the steak that they use, the sauce they serve it with, how it's cooked... Everything about it is incredible :)

20. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I think you have lost the plot. What all this is about is GRILLING. Americans invented BBQ as a slow, indirect heat method of cooking that takes hours. It involves marinades, rubs, sauces and smoke. It involves cuts of meat too tough to simply sear, and most often needs accompaniments to make it work. It's often a multi day process.

It's not just a direct heat cooking method that takes a few minutes. That's how you cook a steak, and why BBQ doesn't use cuts of meat that are that thin. A BBQ doesn't involve burgers nor hotdogs. It needs flank steak, pork shoulders, hunks of meat that fall apart over hours. Any idiot can throw a piece of meat onto a grill, it takes dedication and tradition to watch a fire for a day so that it turns out right.

BBQ is not the same as grilling. It's a uniquely American phenomenon. No matter how hard you want it to be, no matter how much you want to use the word; what you all are doing is not BBQ. It's grilling. What y'all are doing is the cultural equivalent of us calling every fireworks display Guy Fawkes.

At least the South Africans had the stones to make up their own word and customs for it. And, FWIW, I do miss my pap and sous.

Last edited: 30 May 2012