1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One Xbox One Discussion: Discs/Carts/CPU/GPU

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 9 Mar 2012.

1. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

No way. Cartridges cost too much.

2. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Got any numbers behind that?

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

perhaps not 16 core but 16 thread which would seem reasonable, 360 has 3 core (6 thread) MS wants more power but wants cheap power so more cores that are cheap to produce and power efficient, so perhaps its an 8 core dual thread thing, where they use the cores in a similar fashion to Sony and their SPEs running Hypervisor, OS, Kinect 2 and others for gaming

4. Jaysonw23

Jaysonw23 What's a Dremel?

That would be pretty cool. Not looking forward to the price though. This thing is not looking cheap unless they are going to take a loss on each one like sony with the ps3. But they ha te whole blu ray thing to recoup those losses, so we'll see...

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

This is a PC forum. I think everyone here wants the consoles to be £1,000 behemoths so that graphic get out of the rut there in.

Honestly how many games are better looking than modded Crysis and that's four and a half year s old. You can probably count them on one hand.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

And that, is tragic. I know content is far more important than looks, but consoles are seriously holding everything back. This new 10 year console-lifespan thing is just a killer.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

But not a huge shock in the current climate

The days when parents would buy kids a £400 console is gone I'd think hence the whole kenetic and move idea

Still not expecting a ps4 or Xbox720 pre 2014

8. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Just read the above else where, I doubt it's accurate

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I thought they made a loss on each one anyway.

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Sorry to go all necro on this thread, but as of March 6th this year, me and my wife are the owners of a video game store. We sell games all the way back to Atari, and would go further if we had them.

While this rumor is pretty scary for us, we knew it was a possibility. People buy more second hand games than anything in our store. Here's something else - People buy more original xbox and playstation 2 games than anything else too. Tons of people still don't own a current gen console. I think Bindi is on the right track, we aren't going to see a disappearance of the disc drive, we are going to see the use of cards.

Since most of my sales come from second hand games and consoles, I'm going to opt for a different business plan. While I'm still going to have the retro and rare game market and I have 2 private gaming rooms for rent, I think I will have to shift towards a gaming/geek lifestyle store. I would have to start selling more shirts, memorabilia, merchandise, etc. This may not work in a normal area, but I live in a large tourist town so I think I could get away with it.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's good that you are thinking of diversifying now Thacrudd!

What about manga/comics? It's a similar part of the young male culture as gaming. Here in Taiwan they have manga/comic shops where kids can basically treat them like libraries - complete with big leather chairs - and they make their margins off the candies and soda.

Gaming PCs? Notebooks? Upside: fully built systems games just want to dive into without the hassle of self-builds. Downside: High cost and investment, not to mention RMA considerations.

Desktop gaming? Warhammer etc?

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Gatlinburg, thacrudd? If so, I should come see you.

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I know this an Xbox thread but rumors are mounting that Sony is looking at cloud based game streaming solutions to sit alongside it's core market. The PS3, PS4, Vita and PS branded phones would be able to stream games from the cloud using Nvidias new grid solution. Sony TV's may also have the game steaming hardware built into them too so no external console is needed.

See the second half of this article for details.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It'll be a HUGE financial win for Nvidia if they could do that considering the need for worldwide roll-out. If it comes to pass, I wonder how much Nvidia will continue supporting the PC gaming market given it could lay-off or shift a huge amount of its marketing department to concentrate on its mobile and B2B business.

With the new Sony CEO's main aim to unifying its product catalogue and features, it'll be impressive and Apple competitive if they can pull it off. It hangs in the balance though if Howard Stringers words are anything to go by, due to far too much politik between Sony departments.

However, given the history of the PS3 and Nvidia, I don't know if there's still bad blood. Crazy Kaz left the company so they could potentially start a fresh. I don't think NV would care there's no NV hardware in the PS4. Between the Xbox and PS3 clearly their don't give a **** about those contracts.

15. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

so the name is gaming to be 720 for the new xbox?

16. Thacrudd

I'll have to diversify if I want to stay in business haha. This industry is ever changing, I'll have to change with it.
    Lots of people have asked about us carrying anime and manga. Me and my wife have seriously been looking into it.

Gaming PCs aren't in my business interest right now (but personal, very much so) It's a lot of cash to fork out and I don't have the exposure, yet. I only sell early PC games which surprisingly, people come in and buy.

Right next door, in Pigeon Forge on the strip. For sure man! Shoot me a line on here and let me know.

For anyone interested, here is the store's facebook page http://www.facebook.com/controlfreakvideogames and http://www.controlfreakvideogames.com/?page_id=28
    I hope it's okay that I post here that since I'm not trying to sell something...

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ah man! I was there last April in a Cabin with the G.F! Actually it was the day of all those insane tornado's!

Crazy times!

18. Thacrudd

That's crazy! That's a pretty long jump all the way from the UK. I hope you enjoyed your time here, I love this area (insert hillbilly "BORN 'N RAISED IN THESE HERE HILLS")

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

In principle, flash-based cartridges would be a great idea: far more capacious than physical media, much smaller physical footprint, far quicker load times, more resilient to dings/knocks/scratches/etc. But the key is in the implementation; it would be very easy to lock content to one specific console or account and that would kill the second-hand market dead. It's entirely possible to not lock the content, but I can't see that being a realistic prospect. Of course, the biggest killer will be the price. There's a lot more involved with making flash drives than writing a disc, and that cost has to be paid for somewhere - usually by the consumer, and usually through the nose.

Ahem, sorry to drag up an old post but I couldn't let this one slide:

Since when did the Atari ST have a more "piracy prone" format than the Amiga? They're both floppy disks, after all (albeit with different filesystems). Plus it's not really fair to make a comparison to the Spectrum and/or BBC Micro - the Atari ST and Amiga aren't from the same generation of systems as the Spectrum and/or BBC Micro were.

Tape-based games were easy to pirate, yes; floppy disk based games were too (hell, my dad used to do it with a second external floppy drive and a special dongle), but that doesn't mean that the ST was more susceptible to piracy than the Amiga.

I was (and still am) an Atari STe owner, so don't make me start the Atari ST vs Amiga wars of my youth all over again! I warn you, it'll be worse than Mac vs PC, or even console games vs PC games! :p ;)

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I think that is the wish of the publishers. I expect the games will be locked to an account and if you want to use it with another there will be a cost to unlock it.