1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Amp - Speaker Matching

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by low money modder!, 31 May 2012.

1. low money modder!

low money modder! Why can I not set up a web server?

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me will a 35Watt per channel RMS at 8ohms amp drive 2 50watt RMS speakers?

2. low money modder!

It is only for home use, wanting to upgrade my speakers

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

4. low money modder!

Thanks for the quick reply! :rock:

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

RMS is the worst term ever devised, its a stupid marketing gimmick so hifi manufacturers can put stickers on their units says "1200 watts RMS"

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RMS.html

I don't often see speakers quantified by RMS values, its normally reserved for amps etc. Speakers normally just have their power handling printed on them, which isnt RMS.

What is the impedance or the speakers 8ohm or 4ohm?

at the moment I have a 40w per channel amp running speakers that are capiable of 120watts, and that is just fine. Conversely my bass amp is 500w but my cab is only 350w, in applications like this you need to headroom to stop distortion etc.

what is the amp and what are the speakers?

6. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

It's the impedance you want to look out for. This is measured in ohms. What are the ohms of the speakers?

7. low money modder!

8. Deders

Deders Modder

RMS is usually to give a fair idea of how load an amp/speaker combo will actually be, as the PMPO can be very misleading.

I once had 2.1 computer speakers that advertised itself as 500w PMPO but it clearly wasn't or it would have shaken everything in the house. Turns out the sub was actually 35W and the satellites were 5w each.

I then upgraded to a 60W Cambridge amp with 100W Celestion speakers but if I turned the amp above halfway it would blow the tweeters.

My guitar amp on the other hand was a 100W Marshall head with a 4x12 cab that could handle 300W, it's RMS was around 180W which was a much more accurate representation of how loud it could be as it was much much more efficient than the "500W" computer speakers (and could rattle everything in an old farmhouse with very thick walls)

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I still don't really think RMS is a good representation of anything. If you want to measure how loud something is, get a SPL reading, tis the true representation of "loudness".

I used to have a 5w per channel (2 channels) valve amp, driving my old ditton 33's and it was very loud indeed - and 33's are only 80w max speakers, the RMS of that system would be tiny, and not at all a true representation of how loud it is.