1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My arch rival.

:)

Nice ride. Best colour too.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It's an American car wasting power from the engine is normal when petrol is so cheap over there!

3. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

just a dinky 1.25, they won't trust me with anything else after the crash! Plus I'll be driving literally 5 miles to and back from work once I start my new job so the mighty... 65~BHP is ample

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

As long as its had the timing belt done, should be fine. Thermostat housings can sometimes leak, but that's a simple job to do.

I had no major problems with my 99 1.25 Fiesta when it reached 90k miles, apart from a rotting fuel tank, which is not a problem on the newer ones as they changed to plastic tanks.

The later ones seemed much better for rust too, my 53 plate had no rust whatsoever at 50k miles. Everything else on it was spot on too, only problem I had was the clutch slave cylinder, or whichever one is attached to the pedal, the plunger snapped, resulting in no clutch, :D. First it just fell off a few times, then it snapped. Fitting the new part was a bit of a pain, but not that hard. The plunger snaps because it can slide along the shaft on the clutch pedal, ford later on released a cir-clip that went onto the shaft on the pedal to stop the plunger coming off.

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

My old one was totaled. I ended up buying a 2012 version last december. She has about 8k on it now. Picked it up with 12miles on the odo. I prefer the older styling. But the engine on this thing is wonderful. 5.0L that revs to 7grand... and makes 412hp It gets about 25mpg imperial, around 23us or so. This is combined driving. As of now she is completely stock. Just an oil change to my favorite synthetic. The engine is not yet fully broken in yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My older one had fully modified suspension and rode like a go cart, ecu was remaped for another 30hp. However it was rough on bumpy roads. This feels tame but still very pleasing to drive. I still miss my old one. But life goes on.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

8k miles it should be fully run in about 5k ago!

Beautiful nonetheless, that new 5L unit of Ford's is, from what I've read from anyone, a great engine.

7. jaguarking11

My old 3v took nearly 12k to fully break in. This one seems to be about the same. The bores in the v8's are extremely tough, so ring sealing happens very slowly. As evidence, the fuel economy is improving still, you have to remember that its not just the engine breaking in, its the trans and axle.

As for the engine, it truly does feel like a world class unit. The 3v was noisier at idle (sounded like a sewing machine with the hood open, quiet with it closed), but sounded way better at full blast. The 5.0L is nearly silent at idle, and has a more throaty revvy sound at full revs, but the power delivery is outright intoxicating, its very quick revving, which can catch you by surprise when you hit fuel cut off. The 3.73 gears make short work of tires as well. However it does feel like a gentle giant, no bad habits to speak of daily driving it, but no real bad habits going full blast either. She is easy to drive fast. I am in love with the close ratio 6 speed. Once warm its like butter.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

What happened to your last Mustang JK?

9. jaguarking11

I got t-boned by someone doing 2x the speed limit. The car was a write off. However I was unscratched or harmed in any way. He hit me so hard the car took out a chunk of sidewalk with it. He was doing 60 in a 25 zone when it happened. Safe car I have to say, his A pillars nearly collapsed from the hit. While my passenger compartment had only 2inches of penetration. He hit right at the passenger door. As a consolation prize his wrist were burned by his airbags.

Someone bought the salvage and is in the process of restoring the old one.

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

What a jerk. Good thing most american cars are made with a mile of steel and plastic between occupants and the outside world!

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Glad to hear your ok. :thumb:

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Got myself some new shoes and huh... ankles? (aka tires and rims)

I should have them by next thursday :thumb:

13. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I would like a Camaro myself, but I live in Norway and we have ridiculous car taxes;
    so for a 2LT with the 3.6L 323-hp V6 engine, the car would cost:

Actual cost of the car: $28500
    Tax for the weight of the car (1700kg): $18900
    Tax for horsepower: $46000
    Tax for CO2 emission (300g/km): $55500
    Tax for NOx emission (60g/km): $215
    Tax for gas in air condition system: $50
    Tax for the car (24% of initial price): $6840
    Total cost: $156.000 For the 2LT

the 2SS with the 6.2L 426-hp V8 engine will be a wooping $192.000

I feel like crying :(

Another ridiculous one is the Dodge Ram SRT-10
    You can register it as a 3-seat lorry, then it costs $90.000
    If you buy it as a 5-seater (extended cab) or want it registered as a normal car for other reasons the taxes bring it up to $327.000 !!!

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  14. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

15. jaguarking11

Those prices make what I paid for my car a downright economic car. Ever try to bring a car in a visa? Seen that before, people will keep it in for 6 months then extend the visa on it for another 6 months and so fourth.

16. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

We have the option of just paying the 24%tax and then buy red "1-day test-plates" (stickers) but the law for using them is that you have to write down where and what day you are going to drive when you buy it and it is supposed to be a "point A to point B" trip, and you cannot use them in two consecutive days... they cost about $50..
    But I know several people that buy a vacation home with a garage in Sweden as their taxes are acceptable, and have their pride and joy there (they also have MUCH better roads and higher speed limits), and they also have to use it in Sweden only, because if I, as a Norwegian drive a car registered in another country in Norway, and the tax-people find out, I will get a invoice in my mail for the (in the case of the camaro) $163.500 in taxes, with 14 days to make the payment...

There are some paperwork you can submit that allows you (as a Norwegian) to use a foreign registered car for a week or so in Norway, but that is not extendable. :wallbash:

This is in fact the reason that the Tesla S's second biggest market (after USA) is Norway!
    We have absolutely NO tax for electric cars, not even the 24% sales tax, toll roads are free, there are designated parking spots with (free) power outlets around most shopping centers, on ferries you only pay the same as motorcycles (around 30% of normal cars) and you can even drive in the bus-lane!

And our politicians complain about having a high average age on cars!

A friend of mine had a Nissan 200sx that he had installed a huge turbo, etc, etc, and after a MOT-test he got a letter from the customs-people telling him to bring his car to a dyno so they could find out how much power the car was making, as they had a suspicion that it had increased... he got a $30.000 invoice with 14 days to pay for the added HP + punishment for not telling them about the increase.

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  17. Pookeyhead

Nice! The Coyote V8 is a lovely engine. I've been toying with the idea myself for a while now. Then I go into the garage and see Horsey... and I forget. It would be like selling a friend. :(

18. Pookeyhead

That's not what makes car's safe. If anyone ever believed that all you need to be safe is a big car may be interested in seeing this.

The Mustang is very safe though.

Same from the side.... (unless you're in the back... it's not a safe car for kids in the back.. it really needs a side airbag back there.)

Sorry for the double post.

19. jaguarking11

I felt the same exact way. When I had to let it go I felt like a friend died. I would have not done it if she was repairable. She was beyond my comfort of repair, once a chassis is bent it will never react the same nor will it ever protect the passengers. I don't plan on putting kids in it and the back seat is basically rarely used. To be honest the first gen s197 is a better looking car in every way, it can be made to handle as good as anything else on the road if not better (boss302 anyone?). It can also be a fantastic tuner car. If you want a Coyote, swap one int. Within a few years that should be a 3-5k proposition.

20. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Thanks Elton!

Well I can assure you, I still have a fun time driving this car regardless of transmission. She has plenty of power with an automatic, after all, it's my car and it's exactly how I wanted it. ;)

Oh I'm well aware of that, I remember when you got your fancy Mustang. :p However, I'm sure if they had some more preowned Mustangs around here for a decent price, it would have been a toss up between the two. I saw my Camaro online, and I knew it was the one. Thank you sir!

:eeek: That is insane! I'd move. lol

jaguarking, that is a beauty and a beast of a car, congrats! From what I hear, those 5.0's tear it up on the track. With a few bolt ons even better.