1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One Xbox One Discussion: Discs/Carts/CPU/GPU

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 9 Mar 2012.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How about a middle-man model? You don't actually buy them to sit on a shelf, you just supply the market. Your knowledge could help PC gamers go in the right direction.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Totally agree :rock:

Except with less game shops, more seedy electronics shops that mix Japanese A/V with video games.

Anyway, selfishly I hope they DON'T announce new consoles next week at E3 because we're trying to launch somethings too. I'd rather not fail at competing for tech headline space against Microsoft and Sony.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Alleged leaked internal documents from Microsoft giving some details on the internals of the 720.

The headline features are:

• 1080p 60 fps output
    • 6x performance increase over the 360
    • Native Blu-Ray support
    • Native 3D support
    • Kinect 2
    • Kinect Glasses to follow in 2014

Source.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23130 This. This is my feelings exactly. The specs are a cluster**** fantasy that reads like a jack of all trades wishlist. It doesn't seem right at all.

If you want to know what Kinect 2 will be - look at the ASUS Xtion Pro.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jun 2012
  6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I haven't seen anything more detailed than the link I posted so couldn't comment on the tech aspects unlike your good self. :D Microsofts response is interesting though.

It's not the normal "we do not comment on speculation or rumor" response. A law firm that represents them have also asked sites to remove the documents but that does not really mean anything.

7. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

They can change the format but ye gods please keep the gamepads as they are, cross platform with PC and just about right for all but toddler hands. Can't remember if a Left handed model was launched as well, maybe that's the only one left but someone must have made one.

The current pads are great compared to the original Xbox where it was an adult-handed controller and needed a smaller one to be released later. Of course there are hundreds of third party variants out there as well to try but it would be nice to be able to carry on using the official ones rather than ditching them for no good reason.

8. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Agree, sorry but 4G glasses? :wallbash:

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The problem with Kinect though is the fact that it's so damn laggy. Navigating UIs are woeful on it.

However if it better processing and motion recognition. It would be worth buying entirely. Which is why I hope that the 720 will actually have a good chance of doing this.

By the way what I will say about the 720 is that even a doubling (or tripling) of GPU power, RAM and processing power (not that difficult) would pay massive dividends for development. Gone are the days of monolithic consoles that outpaced PC hardware. Why? Because as we approach that limit where consoles are more akin to HTPCs and where we have engines tailored to run on consoles, the need to make something that exceeds the top hardware today is diminshing.

That and the research cost for monolithic chips cost companies major cash. I.E the PS3, which suffered not only from a gimped GPU, but a design method that focused (sadly wrongly) on the CPU which could emulate a GPU instead of the other way around. That and it was woefully deficient in RAM.

I don't think that the new consoles will even approach current PC processing power. What it will do however is still propel the graphics industry as having a strict code base seems to do more for things than giving the sky to engineers.

Still a 6X increase overall in performance is pretty awesome. Although we've pretty much increased processing and graphics power by nearly 14X in the last 6 years.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yukon.. hmmm.. where've I heard that before?

Oh aye, it's the platform codename for a mobile AMD chip and chipset released in early 2009. They are only single-core processors though.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

So interesting it has numerous threads dedicated to it. :D