1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bit-tech & Custom PC Awards 2012 Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 3 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Waiiit? I thought OCUK was hated by 99% of the forums? So 'Highly Recomended' twice?

Cheers for posting this all up:thumb:

Sam

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

My 'understanding' of OCUK is that the prices are good but there's been reports in the forms of difficulties with returns. I haven't bought from them in years but never had any problems when I did... but then I never needed to return anything.

There's website is much more 'pro' than it used to be, and their support section, RMA procedures are just as obvious and easy to use as Scans.

Maybe OCUK has turned the corner? Be good to hear from those that voted for them

4. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Actually it has changed a lot.

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I'm surprised to see Crucial not pick up either of the SSD awards.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Me too :blah:

Perhaps headline read/write speeds are more important to people than the end user experience...

7. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

Crucial M4 has been the best SSD all year - for that reason your rewards don't mean jack.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Well they were voted for by users of this site and Custom PC readers, so they are fairly representative...

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Don't know why everyone thinks EA are a good game developer ! they are killing creativity in the industry.

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

OCUK? I call foul play. OCUK is hated on this forum. I have read so many horror stories about them on bit-tech and back at the old cpc forums.

Why did thermaltake get an award? What have they done in the past year to help modding?

EVGA have lost out on their nvidia graphics card award. I can see why their warranty just isn't enough any more. Especially considering with asus and msi making custom coolers and custom PCBs to enhance OCing. I guess only water cooling guys are buying EVGA now. But what happened to EVGA OCX cards? Sure they were expensive but they did perform very well.

Also seeing EA made me :hehe:.

11. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Scam? Really?
    OCUK? Really?

Shenanigans.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Best SSD Manufacturer 2012 - OCZ

I don't think I've seen any forum threads recommending an OCZ SSD for any reason other than "they're the cheapest ones out there, skip a meal and get yourself an SSD"

Everyone recommends Crucial, Intel, etc..

13. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

SSD winner/commendation is a bit of a surprise (OCZ seem very middle of the road to me)- but you can't really complain, afterall we voted for them :D

I'd be interested to see the data in full, see how many votes each option received...

Last edited: 3 Jun 2012
  14. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Thermaltake best modding manufacturer 2012?
    Really?
    Seriously really?

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Half of those were way off the mark. I reckon loads of people just voted for names they recognised rather than voting for the companys that deserved it. Where was Crucial or CCL or CDProjekt for example?

meh

16. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

I think your results have been hacked. EA, OCZ and OCUK appear to have cheated and adjusted their results to put themselves on top. That can't possibly be what the majority of readers think of these companies.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

This list was acceptable to me until I saw Netgear and EA. I utterly hate both of those companies. I have seen far too many Netgear products fail for no particular reason, and EA along with Activision are dual-handedly destroying the gaming industry. I'm not fond of Bethesda either but at least Skyrim didn't turn out to be a complete programming failure. People who voted for these companies are the ones who are just like "well they work for me so they're good enough" but that doesn't mean they're actually good. Sure I've seen Netgear products work in front of me and operate at their normal speeds, but that doesn't qualify them as being good products. Sure EA releases titles that everyone likes to play, but those are usually the mindless games that have no originality - just high production value games that are incomplete and demand you to pay for more DLC.

For things like OCZ SSDs, ya maybe they're not the best but they're far from the worst. This list isn't just about whats the best, however it shouldn't be about what is most popular either. IMO, it should be what is most recommendable for the average user. So for example if someone wanted a new computer to play a few games here and there and browse the web, I'm sure a large % of people on this website would recommend an i7 or one of the better i5s, when a Core 2 Quad could be sufficient.

18. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I think there's a large element of truth to that. I myself didn't bother voting this year, as I haven't really bought a lot of stuff in the last 12 months so didn't feel I had any valuable opinions to add.

More than that, in previous years I've only wanted to vote on certain topics but were forced to vote on all of them. If you've never bought or owned an SSD for example, how can you really have a worthwhile opinion on the subject?

I think these awards would provide much more valuable information if there was a 'pass' option on each question, allowing people to only answer the questions that were relevant to them...

19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

But that's exactly what these awards are, by putting it to a vote you are going to get what is most popular. What's most recommendable for the average user is what the Hardware Buyer's Guide is for.

As for your comments on Netgear and Bethesda, well, I'd highly recommend both myself. I have Netgear products that work easily and have never given me any kind of problems, and I love the Elder Scrolls games. Not everyone is looking for some kind of ground-breaking originality in every single item they buy, sometimes just doing something well is enough.

Likewise Omnituens' comments on 'Scam'. I personally feel Scan are not only one of the best technology retail companies I've ever used, but one of the best retail companies full stop. Their prices may not always be the lowest in the country, but their quality of service is brilliant - I think that's worth paying for. I know a number of people who feel the same about them.

Just because people have a different opinion to you, it doesn't make their opinion wrong.

20. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

how did alienware get that list is what i really want to know.

Tags: Add Tags