1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

haha, custom monitor frames with your skills! Can't wait!

2. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

This is looking so nice, it seems like the whole case/desk build are becoming more n more popular, and it really opens up the ability to keep things new and more ideas flow.
    Thats gonna look so nice when its done.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

This is already looking pretty awesome! I think I'll be following this!

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Looks awesome so far. If your going to do some custom paint designs on it, why not leave the rest naked with just a protective clear coat. Naked metal = DOOOIIIINNNGGG!!!!:naughty:

5. Mimic

Mimic What's a Dremel?

gotta love it when true craftsmen get unleashed on their own projects, top job dude.

6. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Really appreciate all the comments!! to many to mention individually so please excuse the blanket thank you!!

A few responses though, @ The_Crapman.. interesting ideal.. every time i grind down the frame to clean off a weld i must say.. i look at the cleaned steel and think.. oooooohhhh puuuuurdy :hehe: so will maybe end up doing that.. the front and back (not shown in any images yet) will be in brushed aluminium.. so will only get a clear coat.. but will maybe also leave the frame..

On the screens, i have been playing with a few idea's and have thrown a quick concept drawing together..

[​IMG]

At first i was thinking of a single frame for all monitors but thought i may want to change the orientation of the screens or change the angle etc... I am also not feeling the square backs to the screen covers.. so was thinking more a gentle curve, almost bubble..

The question is... aluminium or fiberglass... if it gets sprayed i guess it makes no never-mind.. but wanted to get some opinions.. :dremel:

7. daletur328

daletur328 What's a Dremel?

Don't know how I missed it, but great build so far, sub'd.
    Think fiberglass would be easier, reduce weight on any stand, easier to form odd shapes.
    And another material used!

8. Zeameth

Zeameth What's a Dremel?

looks great cant wait to see it finished

9. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Very impressing build dude !
    I like it a lot :)
    SUBBED!

10. Squigly

Thanks again all!!

well another Saturday passed so more work done.. oddly enough was busy the whole day but didn't feel i got that much done on it.. so only a few pics.. sorry i dont have more to show..

Started off by grinding some of the overhang i had on some of the panels, neatening things up.. and of course grinding leads to sharp edges..

the obligatory injury shot..
    [​IMG]
    Note to self: Dont try catch a falling piece of aluminium if you just finished grinding it... :duh:

Anyways, carried on with the cladding got the outside leg panels and the rolled plates properly mounted :rock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the leg it almost totally covered, i also bent the bottom plates but like a muppet didnt take any pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Even gave it a little winter blankie... awwww.. puke.

so that's it for now, also spent a lot of time marking up where the buttons will go and measuring out the power and sata cables... hmmm now to find 2m sata... wheres that google thingy...

Squigly out..

11. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Really enjoy this buildlog!

I don't think you will find 2m sata cables easily as the maximum length by spec is 1.5m.
    However I used 1m satacables with 1m sata extension cables in my own desk. It's working flawless here for almost 2 years now :p
    For a next project I'm going to use this solution, it's even within the 'sata specs' :)

12. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Great looking build so far! Love the craftsmanship and attention to detail.
    Subbed

13. Squigly

Thanks guys

l3p that's an interesting little solution there... where from????

14. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Have to warn you, it's quite an expensive solution :/

1 x Highpoint Rocketraid 2722
    2 x Highpoint EXT-MS-1MMS SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 1Mtr Latch
    2 x Highpoint Int-MS-1M4S  Internal Mini-SAS to SATA Cable
    1 x Addonics AD2EMSRM Dual Int to Ext Mini SAS enc version

15. Squigly

:sigh: my wallet just curled over and died when i started looking.... :lol: :lol:
    nice solution though!!!!!!!

16. Squigly

Yet another Saturday in the workshop :) things are moving forward but a little slower now, lots more measuring and making sure things fit properly as it gets closer to the end of the cladding fitment.. So a few more pics but no major progress this week..

Carried on with the cladding and worked on the profile for under the leg, I was originally planning to make this a radius but didnt have a roller that could do a radius as small as i needed so went with this instead, was just fitted to check alignment etc.. still not mounted properly.
    [​IMG]
    But that lead me to a new problem... getting into these tight corners to drill and rivet the rivnuts.... ended up getting a 90 degree chuck for my drill so will work on mounting those next weekend.

The finished bending and filing down the leg ends, was sure to watch out for sharp edges this weekend so no more sliced fingers :)
    [​IMG]

Then drilled and riveted them in place
    [​IMG]

I had removed some of the mild steel support struts from my original design, these were supposed to be where the panels join, you will probably notice that at the joins sometimes there is some "sag" in the aluminium. I had removed the struts to save some weight. So started bending the profiles that will act as the new support struts for those joins.
    [​IMG]

These profiles will be mounted inside the frame area.
    [​IMG]

It will then allow me to join up the 2nd panel on each join keeping them inline, the profile shape adds tensile strength and will avoid warping or sag, and since they also aluminium have saved me a fair bit of weight.. (this thing is getting chunky in the rear if you know what I mean..)
    [​IMG]

So that was about it, spent most of the time measuring and making up the joining profiles, also measured up for the last 2 pieces of aluminium i still need to have laser cut (for the central section and the front and back panels. I will probably also order the glass sometime soon :)

So took some general pics and peeled off some of the protective sheets so you can see it coming together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for this weekend ;-)

Squigly out!

Last edited: 3 Jun 2012
  17. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

I just saw this log. Awesome and subbed :thumb:

18. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Totally epic and awesome concept desk build, all I can do is :jawdrop: and drool subscribed!!

19. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Yea L3P see what you started?

20. Squigly

Thanks bud

Thanks bluc, enjoying your build log aswell :thumb:

l3p.. the pied piper of desk builds has shown us much!!!! Good man!!!!! :rock::rock: