1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Prometheus

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 22 Dec 2011.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

It's not showing until until the 22nd of June in my local tiny cinema, though they have 4:30pm & 7:30pm showings so that's much better than 9:00pm or later in the nearest large cinema which is over the river & 30+ minutes away.

Patience is a virtue...

2. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Apart from the storm effects, there was no 3D in this film.

3. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Exactly. I think the galaxy map seemed good as well but that's about it.

4. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Went to see it in Cineworld D-BOX seats last night. I felt the moving seats did add to it, especially in the previously mentioned storm scene! I'd say it enhances the experience.

On the topic of 3D: Most modern 3D films dont use it to throw things at your face, they use it to give a perception of depth to the screen. The fact that above posters have mentioned they didn't notice the 3D means it worked, as your eyes/brain adjusted and took the 3D effect for granted.

So onto the film [Spoiler alert]

Personally i felt the first half up until Shaw et al returned to the Face room to find the two dead scientists was well executed, made sense and was thoroughly enjoyable. Then the plot started to fall apart. Shaw wakes, blah blah, David puts her to sleep, Shaw wakes, smashes two people in the face, gets emergency surgery - ok, all makes sense. Then she returns to her crew mates and SAYS NOTHING about her ordeal? No-one mentions it or asks about it? WTF? Next issue - Capt of Ship asked to Kamikazee into alien ship.... response, yeah NP, done - WTF? The Vickers / Weyland scene was an anticlimax. Lastly, the final scene, not much of a tip of the hat to Alien, more of a Knuckle-duster with Alien written on it to the ball sack?! Made me cringe, felt totally unnecessary, Why Ridley, Why?!!!

Anyway i'm going to watch it again, and hope that the gaping holes in the plot are filled, but i doubt it.

Trailer: 10/10
    Actual Film: 5/10

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Just went to the late night screening at my local, im with hamfunk on this one, started off well but hits a point in the movie and just goes WEEEEE out the airlock.

6. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Wat. The entire movie was shot in 3d. I don't even....

I thought it was ace. Agree with Hamfunk on the "tip of the hat" comment though - I enjoy being left with a bit of a mystery to muse over. I guess
    we still have the mystery about who that alien race is though

But seeing all the
    Geiger stuff so up close was really awesome, and when the alien dude got on the giant canon in the ship I think I may have squealed a bit in the cinema...

I think seeing Alien first helps out, the gf seemed a bit confused :p

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm quite surprised by your comment as I thought this was the best looking 3D film to date. The effects were not jarring, you just eased into the 3D which made the scene in the map room in particular look absolutely stunning.

The plot jumps were a bit jarring. The scene were Stringer Bell/the captain walks in, announces that the planet is an alien black ops weapon facility comes from nowhere.

8/10 for me.

8. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Maybe I just need to watch it again as I expect the 3D effect to come out of the screen at me. The map room scene was good though.

9. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I was a bit surprised by that too. I took it to be the captain's (lol stringer bell) guess at what was going on. I always thought the Alien movies were about capturing "the perfect" DNA, and given the subtext of the whole movie being about DNA I thought that they were conducting genetic experiments (to create the perfect being?) that went wrong. If you remember in all the Alien movies Weyland corp are trying to do genetic experiments on the Aliens. That's possibly why the robot guy inexplicably poisons one of the team with the DNA goo?

10. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

[​IMG]
    I am disappoint.

11. MJL2010

MJL2010 What's a Dremel?

I'm taking my cousin to see it tomorrow, looking forward to it as well as his reaction - he scares insanely easy.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its not scary in the slightest, make him watch the original alien, record his reactions for us to laugh at.

13. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Hmmm. Watched this last night. It was never going to meet expectations after seeing the trailers and hearing it was about hippy jaunt to look for the origins of mankind.

Overall, I left the cinema feeling underwhelmed and disappointed that it wasn't the Movie it could have been.

As a stand alone, it was ok. 6-7 out of 10. Good effects, but a very disappointing ending. The end sequence just seemed to be thrown in there because they could, as opposed to serving some purpose or adding to the plot.

Was it just me or did the film seem to jump like chunks of it were missing? Another Ridley Scott Directors cut anyone? Hope that when it is released, it completely changes the ending as per Bladerunner....

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

apparently Ridley announced a directors cut before the film even premiered, says something doesn't it?

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

saw this film last night, and this sums up my thoughts.

also agree with everything said so far, the film was really enjoyable up until the surgery. then there were plot holes after plot holes. the character's common sense suddenly disappeared.

but i enjoyed the film a lot. just don't think about Aliens, and only enjoy the visuals in the 2nd half.

also,
    what's with the rich girl's surgery capsule not programmed for female?

16. Attila

Attila still thinking....

That machine was for daddy. ;)

I enjoyed this film immensely. But then I'm a very visual person. Art direction, set design, props etc were superb. When a door or lid opened or shut, you could feel the weight from the visuals. Nothing looked flimsy or hacked together. Merging between sets and CGI and live action is also terrific. It does have huge holes in the script to be sure, but I enjoyed it for what it is, a great big spectacle. :hehe:

17. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I just saw the film in 2d and absolutely loved it. 10/10 for me.

Just one niggling point.
    Right at the end, after the kamikaze attack on the alien vessel, Shaw and Vickers are on the ground, trying to escape the falling spaceship. They've been running for what seems like a minute already and then Vickers is crushed. Shaw, who's further ahead, then stumbles and rolls slightly to one side, which saves her.

This begs the question - why didn't they run to the side to start with? Both would have escaped, easily.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

maybe she was a man afterall? might explain why the captain was so willing to destroy the ship
    :hehe:

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yes it does. Nothing good unfortunately. Films going the way of games and their day 1 dlc. " We cut out a bit so we could re-sell it to you, enjoy..suckers! "

20. TheJackal

TheJackal Getting Old

he normaly does a directors cut of his bigger films iam hopeing it fills some plot in coz to me it looked like about 30 mins was cut out