1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Closing a steam account

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by G0UDG, 6 Jun 2012.

1. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Hi All just a quick question how do I close my steam account,I have sight problems that are causing me to go blind (Due to diabetes) so have no need of the account and obviously cannot pass on the account to others because of the eula and of course cheating or abuse prevention etc. I have a game on it that needs deactivating to enable another person to activate and use that game via thier steam account many thanks in advance

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am not 100% sure you can, but I think your best bet would be to contact Steam Support, they are pretty quick at getting back to you and resolving things.

I am sorry to hear about your sight issues, best wishes for you and the future :thumb:

3. G0UDG

Tnx matticus Ill contact support now

Teelzebub likes this.
  4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Pretty sure you can't deactivate games that are linked to your account. Once the game is linked to the account, that's it.

5. G0UDG

I need to close the account as its will not be used again

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm sure it still won't be de-linked from the account, it'll just get deleted with the account.

7. JPicasso

JPicasso What's a Dremel?

Yes, and OBVIOUSLY if you erased your CC information and changed the contact email address, and then lost your password, only to be found by your younger nephew or cousin, you could be in BIG TROUBLE.

Big trouble.

Just sayin.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I dunno, I'm sure I read something about someone who was finding out if you could pass on a steam account in a will, and I think it came down to it being okay. Can't remember.

I think if you gave the account to a family member, valve wouldn't bat an eyelid.

The problem is selling accounts.

9. G0UDG

No Ive not sold the account or erased the CC info I wish to do this in the correct way if its possible As Im selling a retail game linked to the account and do not wish the buyer to have problems with activation of the game before he receives it. If there are going to be problems then I will refund the buyer in full

10. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I'm pretty sure if you've already activated a game on Steam then it's tied to your account end of, no "but i'm not going to play it anymore" or "you can remove it from my account". It's why some people refuse to use Steam since they are no longer to sell their games second hand.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

That's what I've been saying.

I don't think there's ever been a case of valve de-activating a game from a steam account. As vdbswong said, that's one of the arguments some have against steam, you can't sell the games you've bought once you're done with them.

12. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Confirming - if an IP(not network address, the other kind) has been activated on a Steam account, it cannot be transferred to another account.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You will need to refund them I'm sorry to say. I know if you bought a registered version of a Valve game you could send off the box or some such (I forget exactly) and pay a fee and they would give you a new key..but that is more hassle than it is worth.

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I heard that you can deactivate it from your account but not sure as to how. Speak to support before doing anything drastic!

15. Christof_II

Christof_II SNAAAAAAAKE!!!

i did this, i had to email them a photo of the disk and the till receipt and they unlinked the mage from wherever it was so i could use the key. don't think this will help though...

16. G0UDG

Tnx christof I contacted steam support yesterday still havent received a reply

17. G0UDG

got a reply from steam support they are not whilling to help in this and will not allow deactivation of any games despite me providing proof of purchase and also proof of not being able to play anymore typical you go by the law and do things in a legit way way you get stung the idiots who break the rules and dont do things the legit way get all they want. Had I given my login info to the buyer all would have been ok obviously not legit which is why I DID NOT DO THAT but as Ive just said had I done that it would have worked proof that being honest doesnt always work but I guess its the best way to be even if it doesnt work. Steam you suck So now Im stuck with games that are no use to anyone might as well chuck them in the dustbin as they cannot be deactivated

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Does gifting games only apply to ones that haven't been activated?

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yes, or ones that you buy for other people (at checkout you pick 'for someone else').

20. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

G0UDG, afaik the EULA for most games states that you aren't allowed to sell/gift/distribute the game to anyone else. So technically either way you try to do it, it's not allowed.