1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC kicked out of Windows RT launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 7 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

seems AMD are `absent` recently as well - seems to be an Intel/MS affair....(and nokia)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Windows RT was previously known as Windows 8 for ARM. AMD's absent because it doesn't produce any ARM processors. Intel's absent, too. As far as I'm aware, Nokia's not involved either (although they, at least, use ARM processors.)

4. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Well if you want to control what your OS looks like then that is one way to do it.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Microsoft are doing us a public service here.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

hmmmm i think these might be of interest then:

http://www.slashgear.com/amd-trinity-windows-8-hybrid-hands-on-06232464/

http://www.slashgear.com/acers-trinity-powered-iconia-tab-hands-on-06232483/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Trinity-Windows-8-Tablet-Spotted-273973.shtml

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/06/amd-shows-off-its-first-windows-8-concept-tablet-at-computex-201/

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The Trinity APU is not an ARM SoC. AMD does not make a single ARM processor. (Nvidia, incidentally, does: the Tegra family.)

What you've linked to are Windows 8 tablets. If you'd care to read the article - in fact, if you'd just like to glance at the title - you'd see that we're discussing Windows RT tablets.

AMD is not launching a single Windows RT tablet. It can't: it doesn't have an ARM SoC. Go ahead, search for it: if you can find an AMD device running Windows RT, I'll give you my next six paycheques.

Windows RT != Windows 8. That's why it's called Windows RT, and not Windows 8. It's a *version* of Windows 8, sure, but one with significantly stricter licensing restrictions and no retail release. It also only runs on ARM architecture chips, meaning that it absolutely will not run under any circumstances (processor emulation via something like qemu aside) on any AMD processor.

Clearer now?

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

wow what a rude troll you really are.

try being polite occasionally

9. Gareth Halfacree

My intention was not to be rude, but merely to educate: you were clearly confused between Windows 8 and Windows RT (which isn't surprising, given that Microsoft only recently renamed "Windows 8 on ARM" to "Windows RT") and I was trying to clarify things for you.

10. lapens

lapens Escaped convict...

It came across as extremely rude Gareth. Extremely.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Then I apologise unreservedly.

hyperion and Fizzban like this.
  12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I wonder if we can expect a reaction from HTC, something like "fine, then we are ceasing production of all our phones with Windows Phone 7".

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

God you lot are a sensitive bunch, aren't you? Sarcastic maybe, but rude? Lighten up princesses.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Handbags at dawn!

No, it didn't. Read like a man in need of a coffee break though.

Nice chap..have a dollop of rep. :)

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I agree. I've gotten into disagreements with Gareth more than once and I don't find him rude, when he easily could have been. If you say something wrong, expect to be corrected, don't whine about it.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Apologies were offered. Let's be gentlemen and graciously mention it no more, eh, chaps? Back on topic! :)

(Where is the handlebar mustachio'd smiley when you need one?)

17. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

Gareth or Harlequin!................Harlequin or Gareth! Who is better? Only one way to find out!

Fight......Fight............Fight

18. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

So... Microsoft is doing everything in their power to make Windows RT a failure... they are succeeding at accomplishing this.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

microsoft are doing what they should, locking what can be done to windows rt, to protect its performance.

20. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Does RT somehow rhyme with "real ****" or something ... because that's precisely what it's turning out to be - a bootloader-locked, dumb-down and stupid=looking version of Windows port that nobody in their right mind is going to purchase willingly. Sure, people will get shafted with it as they go for ARMish usable tablet wannabes only to find out they wasted their money on yet another incarnation of certain fruit's company iSlate ... great for gloating in front of your buddies who don't own this POS for all four seconds until they realise neither they nor you have any real use for it.

Windows for ReTards won't run any x86 code, won't have majority of existing x86 code ported over in sptite of M$'s efforts (.Net and other related retarded utils/compilers which slow down software immensely just to maintain compatibily with some lame portable framework) and won't look any better than a steaming pile of dog poop thanks to morons who came up with the metrosexual GUI and the daltonist-unfriendly color scheme (I bet the author of this piece of **** was color blind but couldn't get himself to acknowledge the fact ... so I woukdn't be too surprised to learn that he was an undercover *** as well).

Either way, I wish all the fails to retards at M$, they deserve them ! Phucking morons ...

Tags: Add Tags